Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Thread on the UMGF

JuanCarlosVejar

OK, I can't imagine to do it myself, but there may be people having dreams and suggestions that fade away when they meet reality. I know some people who bought instruments on a budget and gave up playing very soon, but up to now nobody with an expensive one. However, I think that there are wealthy people who possibly do so.

Is there a reason why the Hummer's pickguard is placed in the 'Bozeman correct' position, while the guards on the C/W and SJ on the same thread are placed in the alternative position favoured by so many on this forum? I note that every 1960s Hummer I can find on the net at present has the same placement as the Hummer JC refers to here...

I was wondering about that myself.

Nice find though [thumbup]

Looks like the wider fret wire that was used back then. Owner stated he acquired it a year ago. A lot of wear for only a year. Otherwise a pristine time capsule. Even the hang tags. If the original owner paid $900, and got smart in his old age, he should have doubled his investment after inflation. I absolutely do NOT want to hear that his widow so,d it for half of the price on the hang tag!

Looks like the wider fret wire that was used back then. Owner stated he acquired it a year ago. A lot of wear for only a year. Otherwise a pristine time capsule. Even the hang tags. If the original owner paid $900, and got smart in his old age, he should have doubled his investment after inflation. I absolutely do NOT want to hear that his widow so,d it for half of the price on the hang tag!

Might be a smudge in the paper - but my old eyes see $400 on that tag - anyone know what the retail price on Hummingbirds was back then?

I believe the hide away syndrom is more common than we imagine.

When acoustic Gibsons began to hit the shops here again in the 90's, I remember a sales-guy saying that quite a few non-players came and bought J-200's just as exotic objects - some of them Elvis fans.

And thinking about it, the stories of sleeping treasures aren't that seldom.

Hep for the pickguard observation, Mojorule - obviously 2 different shapes, , , and thicknesses.

Regarding frets, they can be grooved before you know it. My Bird from May this year already shows vague traces of wear.

Niiiiice guitars in that UMGF thread btw. ;-)

No cracks ? There goes the 'humidfy or die' theory .... :-k

This depends highly on the environmental conditions. My four calibrated hygrometers actually say 61 to 64% at the extreme points of my guitar shelves. We have 35 to 70% usually through the four seasons, but about two months around 20% within the last 33 years didn't do any harm.

Two of my bandmates are professional classical guitarists who own very expensive classical guitars. No one of them ever used a humidifier in the Central European climate.

No cracks ? There goes the 'humidfy or die' theory .... :-k

Can you say "North Carolina."

For those of you that don't know, Zane is Zane Fairchild, son of banjo pioneer/icon Raymond Fairchild and definitely an a-list flatpicker himself.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I can definitely relate to the Central European climate living in Prague. I find the big problem is during the winter when the house heaters are on and RH drops to around 30% for 5 months or so. I imagine this could have signfiicant impact, and not in a good way. Either way in the winter time I use room humidifier to keep RH at 45% in my man cave and keep all my guitars out of their cases on a wall.

This depends highly on the environmental conditions. My four calibrated hygrometers actually say 61 to 64% at the extreme points of my guitar shelves. We have 35 to 70% usually through the four seasons, but about two months around 20% within the last 33 years didn't do any harm.

Two of my bandmates are professional classical guitarists who own very expensive classical guitars. No one of them ever used a humidifier in the Central European climate.

Archived