Gibson Brands Forums

best way to house an acoustic

bamapsych

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The allure of our new home is an office to hang a few up. I enjoy looking at them and quite often after reading a few posts on here I can't wait to play them.

Life is short, I want to enjoy them as much as possible and hopefully seeing them and hearing them will inspire the sons to give it a go when they get older.

I keep all mine in their cases for two reasons. First of all I believe it is easier to control the humidity and two, if I have an emergency in the house (roof leak which could come down the wall, fire etc.), I want to grab them and go! I don't want to have to take the time to put 8 acoustic guitars in their cases. No offense to those that like to keep them out but they are safer in the case and I don't need to look at them unless I'm playing them. IMHO.

Wish I could keep them out to look at. Nothing better than looking at your guitars displayed. But around here in the high desert, they are not safe outside the case.

And my trials at humidifying a room just took to much energy. Way too many variables…….as mentioned earlier in the thread.

They each have their own house (case) and that's the way that it is.

I have a couple of Asian solid body electrics -- good guitars, amazingly good for what they cost, but pretty easily replaceable. One of them is always out on a stand. The expensive guitars live in their causes, and yes, that means they don't get played as much.

P

I used to do that. I would keep a 'beater' like an Epiphone El-00 out of its case. But I noticed I was playing the Epiphone all the time, because it was there. And then I started thinking hey this is nuts. I'm 60 years old. Damn the torpedoes, I'm eating off the good china every night from now on!

A few years back Rick Turner made a few posts on the old Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum responding to the ever popular questions about the best budget guitar, basically talking about wanting to surround himself with quality stuff, and not cheap out. This thought has been reverberating in my mind ever since.

I used to do that. I would keep a 'beater' like an Epiphone El-00 out of its case. But I noticed I was playing the Epiphone all the time, because it was there. And then I started thinking hey this is nuts. I'm 60 years old. Damn the torpedoes, I'm eating off the good china every night from now on!

Unless you are a museum curator this is advice we all should follow.....my guitars are my toys not my investments...

I take care of them and keep them all in cases, but I keep one case out in the living room at all times rotating them as I feel like it.

A few years back Rick Turner made a few posts on the old Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum responding to the ever popular questions about the best budget guitar, basically talking about wanting to surround himself with quality stuff, and not cheap out. This thought has been reverberating in my mind ever since.

+1

For me it is a combination of due diligence and being reasonable. I keep my guitars out on the wall in my office/studio and humidify the room. I have two hygrometers which differ by 5% and I keep the room between 40% and 49%. This allows me to pick up any one of my guitars at a moment's inspiration and play for five or ten minutes or two hours. I'm not lugging cases in and out my closet or under the bed.

When I take my guitars out, I use a rigid soft case (Gator), doing my due diligence by ensuring the guitar is never in the trunk or never left in the sun and heat or out in the cold and snow. If I am comfortable, my guitar will be comfortable. When I bring my guitar in from outside during the cold months, I let it warm up over night in the case before I pull it out, clean it up and put it back on the wall.

I didn't pay ~$4000 for my J200 to sit in a case.

Quote: "When you leave a bottle of wine in the cellar for too long, it turns to vinegar."

Many Great Chefs.

Wouldn't see things in the same way.

They say it simply goes bad, and tastes bad, unlike prepared vinegar.

Others, perhaps most think wine turns to vinegar, which subsequently may or may not be o.k. to use.

Regardless, its being Exposed to Oxygen, Active Bacteria, Biological Agents, Temperature and Lack of Sanitation that Affect Wine.

There's a wine cellar nearby us, with a private collection of 15,000 bottles of rare vintage wine, dating back to 1870. As its one of the most renowned Wine Collections in the World, one that Connoisseurs hail and laud as being unsurpassed.

With respect, I'm wondering how many Lifetimes, Centuries or Millennia it takes to ruin wine.

Rather, I believe one will find the Quality of Handling and Storage.

To be the True Active Factors Involved.

Just like Guitars.

Handle and Store your Musical Instruments Correctly.

And they will last, for a great many, Human Lifetimes.

Look at how Stradivarius Instruments have lasted so well.

Wine, like Guitars require Properly Controlled Environments.

A musical instrument isn't wine. It isn't a car. It isn't an investment nor a commodity. It is a Musical Instrument!

If you want to use your time and money to 'deal' with guitars as if they were an investment medium or a commodity - you are free to do that.

However, since this isn't a 'guitar investment forum' nor a "pawn stars guitars' forum - I would think most of us would prefer NOT to treat our Gibson guitars in such a way that they will last several human lifetimes. The implication is, we didn't buy them to play and enjoy them - we bought them for future generations to play and enjoy them. I hope to pass my guitars down to my grandchildren, but I don't know if they will be players, and I"m certainly not going to forgo playing my Gibsons so someone else's grandchildren can! I am not going to take the approach of "not playing the SJ200 this winter so young Billy can have it scratch free and properly humidified without glazing." What is the option if you want to play every day? Buy a cheap Takemine and not enjoy it while thinking of the J45 resting in its case in the closet?

Like Jerry, I've reached the age where I want to eat off the good china. I 'saved' my one and only / first Gibson in it's case under the bed for many, many years. Now I'm going to play it, and the others I finally have the time and money to enjoy. I wish I had been this smart 49 years ago!

An old German saying "Too soon old, too late smart."

Archived