Gibson Brands Forums

Bone Saddle on the way!

Sitedrifter

Since my new J200 was actually in a showroom, it got played over the past year and new strings were added. I noticed on the D &G string part of the saddle it is a little too grooved for my taste. No issues with sound and intonation is spot on but the wear will eventually have a negative effect. I purchased a bone saddle from Bob Colosi as well as a OEM TUSQ saddle (to trial wy fitment skills) and look forward to getting the bone saddle on at next string change.

I was just commenting on bone in another thread, so throw in here. . I have a J-200 that came with a bone nut, tusq bridge and plastic pins. Sounded great amped, but acoustically I thought it was muddy in the mids and not enough clarity in the highs. I switched to all bone (Colosi) and acoustically, to my ear, the muddiness was gone and the highs clear; and amped it still sounds great.

I think you've got a good move going. Good luck. . B)

Don't get me wrong, I love TUSQ stuff in fact their picks are the best. But because this tusq saddle is worn in, I just want another and wanted something that will last longer, hence the bone saddle. If it sounds better as a result, awesome, if not, then I either go to tusq to match the nut or (most likely) change the nut to bone to match the saddle.

I switched to bone saddle too on my J200 Custom, but I must say that the tusq works better on UST equipped acoustics, in terms of string balance issues. With a new saddle, remember to always check the saddle bottom for flatness.

Amazing that you said that about UST equipped acoustics. My 5* talked to me about adding a bone saddle for me and he said he has bone for acoustic and bone for acoustic electric as he stated there could be balance issues. The bone saddle I will install myself to the same height as the OEM saddle which was sanded a bit (height wise) for a better action. Glass table and 600 grit sand paper will do the leveling trick! [thumbup]

What I don't get is why a Colosi bone saddle costs twice as much as a pre-shaped Gibson bone saddle from most other places.

I have wondered this also. But then again customer service has a price and I've never once read anything negative about the guy. Peace of mine it's worth a couple of quid maybe?

What I don't get is why a Colosi bone saddle costs twice as much as a pre-shaped Gibson bone saddle from most other places.

Can you point me to pre-shaped Gibson bone saddles? I found some at stewmac but pre-shaped is a bit of a stretch since they are very over sized.

I bought a nicely shaped bone saddle off some guy on eBay for like $12 last year.

I have nothing against Colosi products. They are probably excellent and as somebody noted customer service you can count on is worth paying a little more for. I am just a cheapskate.

I do like because I do figure they will not wear as quick as other materials. I have never heard one sliver of difference though in sound between tusq, bone and plastic saddles. If you are talking about dumping a metal, rosewood, or ceramic saddle that is a different story.

Strange a virtually new saddle would have visible grooves.

The one J200 I purchased (it was made this august) and sent back had grooves in the TUSQ saddle. I assume TUSQ is just a fancy plastic and with high tension on the strings, it immediately cuts into the saddle. Bone is harder so it may take longer but for my J200 I now own, it was a showroom model and test played over the past year.

You can often get the Colosi saddles cheaper - he has blemished ones. I recently bought one.

I would not put a blemished anything on this beautiful guitar of mine. The way I look at it, if a guitar cost me 3k, then a $25 blemish free saddle is not much to spend [thumbup]

I switched to bone saddle too on my J200 Custom, but I must say that the tusq works better on UST equipped acoustics, in terms of string balance issues.

Tusq is a very consistent material, while bone is not in density.

This can potentially effect the UST's balance from string to string.

That said, experimenting with saddles is still cheap fun!

Archived