Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 STUDIO...new??

lazarusvt84

Looks more rock oriented to me... and not quite my schtick regardless.

OTOH... heaven knows a lotta players basically have gone with this sorta configuration for ages.

To me it removes the versatility of the type. OTOH, if you're going flat-out rock or blues or today's country... what the heck.

m

I would like it more if it had the 'f'holes in it. For my style i wouldn't mind just a single dirty fingers pickup but the guitar looks wrong without the holes. I'd rather by a high end epiphone semi-hollow and save a few hundred bucks.

I don't much care for it... and for about the same price tag would go for the new Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo with two pups, shorter scale... although one would with both guitars be a bit disappointed if the sound isn't "quite it."

Anyway... all the MK hadda do was have the single cut and shorter scale to look attractive since the Byrdland was unusual with the shorter scale. Not unique perhaps, but doggone unusual. The fact that it's a routed board with a top would take it pretty well outa the "hollow" category IMHO, but I'd personally prefer putting my dollar down on it.

The 335 studio, OTOH, looks a special purpose instrument without the degree of promo it'd take to get the target audience excited. I may be wrong, and any Gibson at that price point brings interest. But as has been noted, a high-end Epi semi has some real advantages of versatility.

m

...The fact that it's a routed board with a top would take it pretty well outa the "hollow" category IMHO, but I'd personally prefer putting my dollar down on it...

As far as I remember, m, the M-K is full hollow and not routed or even centre-block.

P.

EDIT : This from the spec page; "Body Type : Hollow body."

Pippy...

Gotta disagree, especially after looking at the "specs" part of the Gibson site's product material.

Gibson sez: Bound multi-ply body with Maple top and f-holes ... a Grade-A maple top and a Grade-A mahogany back.

That's ditto the other Midtowns...

Note that the bridge doesn't float - so it'd be attached to something under the top.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Kalamazoo/Specs.aspx

The photo of the back pretty well nails it - with the back plate similar to that on an LP... and also the obvious one body piece of wood if you look at the unbound edges of the back.

Don't get me wrong... if I had a shot at playing one, I think this would be a very quick buy.

But it's not the same kind of hollowbody one finds on an archtop, nor even what one finds on a semi like a 335.

m

Pippy...

Gotta disagree, especially after looking at the "specs" part of the Gibson site's product material. Note that the bridge doesn't float - so it'd be attached to something under the top.

The photo of the back pretty well nails it - with the back plate similar to that on an LP... and also the obvious one body piece of wood if you look at the unbound edges of the back.

But it's not the same kind of hollowbody one finds on an archtop, nor even what one finds on a semi like a 335.

m

You might well be right, Milo, and you usually are, but bear in mind the ES 330 had a similar ABR-1 / trapeze tailpice arrangement and that was fully hollow.

The bridge only needs a small amount of 'beef' to position it and there is not a regular - thick-studded - stop tail to worry about.

I'd like to play one!

P.

Pippy...

Yup on the bridge...

What convinces me is the back plate as on an LP or the other Midtowns. I can't quite feature that going into a laminate or even solid mahogany "strip" of the back that way.

And the smooth transition of side to back as on an LP Studio etc...

Still, the general size and shorter scale makes it look pretty attractive and I've never figured a good guitar couldn't be used for more than one genre. OTOH, it's so thin I almost could feature having a little pillow or something on the back - kinda like the little platform a lot of violin players use - to make it feel more like a guitar 'stedda a board.

m

Milod, likewise Yuppers on the smooth transition from back to sides.

[thumbup]

Guess-Time?!.....

The top is obviously separate from the rest of the body.

My guess is there is a one-piece mahogany body routed-out full-hollow with the maple top glued on.

The inspection-plate might be neccessary as the thinness of the body makes regular ES-335-style electronics-fitment impossible?

It would certainly make it easier - and therefore cheaper - to assemble at the plant.

Just a guess! I'd want to see one in the wood before I stake the ranch on it!

BTW, as far as the Midtown Custom is concerned;

Gibson made it clear it was chambered in their spec page which is why I suspect G might be telling the truth when they say 'Hollo-bodied' for this.

But I always believe folks are telling the truth - unless they happen to be in politics.......lol!

P.

Pretty much how I figured too...

I think I recall a pix somewhere of the routing of regular Midtown bodies that did look as if properly described as "chambered."

One thing that bothers me a little on the spec sheets on this one is that they don't give the width of the lower bout, etc.

If this isn't much bigger than an LP, it could make "fully hollow" possible, especially with some hard maple that's relatively thick. Ditto the bridge.

m

I looked at the ES335 Studio recently and considered briefly getting one, except, my Gov't Series LP has Dirty Fingers pickups already, so I pretty much felt I have that sound covered. I went instead with pre-ordering the Midtown Kalamazoo, just a few hundred more and IMO a lot more guitar and more unique (at least to me and what I currently own).

Still waiting for a Midtown Kalamazoo video, Gibson. How about it?

Archived