Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage 37 Gibson L-0 pics

BluesKing777

I saw a few of the threads on beautiful new guitars and thought I better add some balance.I put these pics on another forum and thought I may as well plaster them here as well!

"Mojo Karma" sore fingers from playing this guitar. (But the sound..............).

L-0No1a_zps2d9c7a9c.jpg

L-0No1b_zps19724e63.jpg

L-0No1c_zps89099d0e.jpg

BluesKing777.

Ya know, BK, I saw this post early today as I was trying to play the crap outta' my old D-18, which sold Sunday on Ebay. Seller's remorse had set in and I thought I could make myself OD on the dread before the e-check cleared. With sore hands I clicked on your topic and got the idea to call the friend who bought my '34 L0 to see if she was into selling it back. She agreed, and now like a mental patient I'm giddily scraping the scratch together to pay for it. I think I'm done with dreads and jumbos and will eventually hunt down a pre '65 Martin 000, and try to quit shopping acoustics.

As probably happens here often enough, a pic and post can turn an otherwise calm day into an F5 G.A.S. event. Thanks...I think.

It's a character alright. I remember BK mentioning that he was looking at this on Oz ebay for about18 months.Me too. It sat there unloved...probably due to the mods that scared people off. He got it for a good price and now it's being put to great use. Check out some of the clips he's already done.It has a wonderful tone.

Ya know, BK, I saw this post early today as I was trying to play the crap outta' my old D-18, which sold Sunday on Ebay. Seller's remorse had set in and I thought I could make myself OD on the dread before the e-check cleared. With sore hands I clicked on your topic and got the idea to call the friend who bought my '34 L0 to see if she was into selling it back. She agreed, and now like a mental patient I'm giddily scraping the scratch together to pay for it. I think I'm done with dreads and jumbos and will eventually hunt down a pre '65 Martin 000, and try to quit shopping acoustics.

As probably happens here often enough, a pic and post can turn an otherwise calm day into an F5 G.A.S. event. Thanks...I think.

Apologies I guess, JZ, for causing heart fluctuations - I had some flucks yesterday when I saw something I have wanted for years and years, but I went and played my L-0 for a while and all went calm......

That 34 L-0 will be all anyone could need if it sounds like my L-0!

BluesKing777.

It's a character alright. I remember BK mentioning that he was looking at this on Oz ebay for about18 months.Me too. It sat there unloved...probably due to the mods that scared people off. He got it for a good price and now it's being put to great use. Check out some of the clips he's already done.It has a wonderful tone.

Thanx FB.

I might go and work up a few trax in a minute instead of hanging here.

When I first saw it on eBay, I was a bit shocked because I was looking for the 'classic' L-00 appearance, but......

What was the link to the really dodgy eBay seller, FB? Everyone knew he was crook? I thought this was from him to start with...

BluesKing777.

Well here are a couple of trax hot off the (A&H mixer to iMac with a Shure SM57) system that I have been using for a while.

I tried to play over the range of the guitar to demonstrate it, but it is Saturday Morning here now and the gardening machinery begins around the area so this is it! I didn't quite catch the smoky, smoldering blues I was doing at midnight last night, but that is the way of things.....

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/eeeonea1

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/seeitoldya1a

BluesKing777.

Took a while to load that freekin' Soundcloud up here in the dial-up backwoods of upstate NY, but soooooo worth it. That's so damn good, BK, it made me want to screw! Not you, of course.

Please tell me what the guitar is strung up with. Nice...as always.

Took a while to load that freekin' Soundcloud up here in the dial-up backwoods of upstate NY, but soooooo worth it. That's so damn good, BK, it made me want to screw! Not you, of course.

Ok. That was the funniest post for a while. Yes, the thing does sound good, though. That mixer must really let you add a couple of inches on to the lower bout of that guitar :).

Well here are a couple of trax hot off the (A&H mixer to iMac with a Shure SM57) system that I have been using for a while.

I tried to play over the range of the guitar to demonstrate it, but it is Saturday Morning here now and the gardening machinery begins around the area so this is it! I didn't quite catch the smoky, smoldering blues I was doing at midnight last night, but that is the way of things.....

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/eeeonea1

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/seeitoldya1a

BluesKing777.

Sweet as!

Thanks JZ.

If that kind of thing starts going on when I play, pehaps I better get out and about.....real quick. I did get an old bird do a strip while I was playing once, but that was scary and never a younger one to be seen.......

More mundane matters - the strings are stock standard beautiful Gibson MB12s that I got a large bulk box of from Elderly for $6 a packet. And I am too scared to change those babies with the guitar going like this.

BluesKing777.

Thanks JZ.

If that kind of thing starts going on when I play, pehaps I better get out and about.....real quick. I did get an old bird do a strip while I was playing once, but that was scary and never a younger one to be seen.......

More mundane matters - the strings are stock standard beautiful Gibson MB12s that I got a large bulk box of from Elderly for $6 a packet. And I am too scared to change those babies with the guitar going like this.

BluesKing777.

Ha! The term 'old bird' makes me shudder and erases any perceived sexuality I may have attributed to your excellent picking. You're using fingertips on that? Or is it fingernails or picks?

I'd be afraid to put 12's on that thing unless it was slack tuned a bit.

Ha Ha....

Thanks guys.

So a new plan has come to me - one friend (non guitarist) has turned his nose up at the look of the L-0, and of course the old man would offer to give it a coat of paint and none but me around a this a way appreciate the beautiful old Gibson tone.......

Maybe they will all think: "Look at poor ole BK777 playing that old broken thing - is that the best he can do after all his hard work and practice.....should we all put in some cash and get him a nice, new shiny guitar covered in paint and MOP for Christmas?"

Heeee heee.....

BluesKing777.

So a new plan has come to me - one friend (non guitarist) has turned his nose up at the look of the L-0, and of course the old man would offer to give it a coat of paint and none but me around a this a way appreciate the beautiful old Gibson tone.......

Maybe they will all think: "Look at poor ole BK777 playing that old broken thing - is that the best he can do after all his hard work and practice.....should we all put in some cash and get him a nice, new shiny guitar covered in paint and MOP for Christmas?"

Heeee heee.....

BluesKing777.

I'm sure there's a horror story out there to the tune of "Merry Christmas, Honey, we took your disgusting old guitar out & had all the wear filled in and had 'em put on a nice, heavy, shiny new coat of paint." A couple of years ago, the wife of a musician friend and I took his old Epiphone to the luthier to finally have damage to the back repaired where on some crazy night, a foot found it's way into the guitar, from the back side. The guitar had been out of service for years, but had much sentimental value. That was a more pleasant surprise, I suppose.

I'd still like to know what your mixer eq settings were on the L-0 recording. Maybe the L's can record warmer at the twist of a knob or two(?)

I'm sure there's a horror story out there to the tune of "Merry Christmas, Honey, we took your disgusting old guitar out & had all the wear filled in and had 'em put on a nice, heavy, shiny new coat of paint." A couple of years ago, the wife of a musician friend and I took his old Epiphone to the luthier to finally have damage to the back repaired where on some crazy night, a foot found it's way into the guitar, from the back side. The guitar had been out of service for years, but had much sentimental value. That was a more pleasant surprise, I suppose.

I'd still like to know what your mixer eq settings were on the L-0 recording. Maybe the L's can record warmer at the twist of a knob or two(?)

Hmmm..

Don't want any amateur paintwork!

I have done lots of recording at home, but I am an amateur, so if it sounds good as I set up, that is it.

And my mixer eq is dead flat and possibly the best sound I have ever recorded my guitars and all settings are now superglued. We lose a lot between here and there! Sounds superb through my headphones when I record, nice when I listen back, a bit skinny when I run to wave file and only a slight reflection of the original recording when it gets to the computer via Soundcloud, but you know, how else could this track get to a forum so easily - the Soundcloud tech is sensational really....

BluesKing777.

I always stare at the 30's L0's and L00's, which as far as I can see are identical, wondering what feature is different. The thing I notice is the position of the soundhole, which on the L00 seems slightly higher up on the bout. I look at BK's L0 and wonder if it's really a 00 based on the pic of his and my L0 in this post, amber tone notwithstanding. You can see the dif soundhole positioning. Anyone out there well researched enough on this to lend credence to my meanderings. JT? Anybody?

Archived