Gibson Brands Forums

On a rainy afternoon.......

Buc McMaster

Buc, that's a great version of one of my favorite Jimmy Webb songs. I'd give anything to have a voice like yours.

A little historical footnote on the famous recording of this by Glen Campbell: all the musicians, including Campbell and James Burton, were members of the Wrecking Crew, the loose-knit group of the best studio musicians in history.

Thanks, Nick. Webb wrote some great stuff. A bit of trivia........... The original title was Washita Lineman. Webb was driving through Washita County, Oklahoma and was inspired by the line poles clicking by on the road. But it turned out that Washita didn't sing so well, and it became the Witchita Lineman. The rest is history. By the Time I Get to Phoenix is another fine one by Webb..........maybe I'll put that one up someday. Thank you for your kindness, sir.

That was great, Buc! Not sure where you are in Texas, but I live in Houston. It stormed pretty hard here yesterday, and rained again today. Unfortunately, though, work and three small kids have kept me from getting much guitar time!

It occurred to me as I was watching that video, Gibson should make a ukulele with a single cut out and make it look like a Les Paul! [biggrin]

A little historical footnote on the famous recording of this by Glen Campbell: all the musicians, including Campbell and James Burton, were members of the Wrecking Crew, the loose-knit group of the best studio musicians in history.

There's a great interview with Carol Kaye the bass player of the "Wrecking Crew" (yup, very much a female) here:

Carol Kaye

She provides some great information about those sessions but absolutely disputes the use of the name "Wrecking Crew." It's a good read.

Buc, that is a really nice cover of that song. The combination of the uke and your bass voice really works well together.

Any idea of what is causing the renewed popularity of the uke nowadays? I see them all over but other than the uke track of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by IZ at the end of the movie Meet Joe Black I haven't really seen why it's become popular.

FMA

Archived