Gibson Brands Forums

J45 vs J45 Custom?

Gibson Artist

Ok, ive always been under the impression that Rosewood gits are brighter and project better and Mahogany are warm and deeper. Yet why is it the regular j45 in this video seems to project louder than the Rosewood Custom? Learning about guitar woods is not always so black and white it seems. Take a listen for yourself and tell me your thoughts.

To my ears the custom sounds brighter and "rounder", while the non-custom sounds more "closed-in" but has more depth and sustain.

I can't really decide on which I'd prefer, but I'd probably go for the non-custom as I don't like gaudy decorations on my guitars.

To my ears the custom sounds brighter and "rounder", while the non-custom sounds more "closed-in" but has more depth and sustain.

I can't really decide on which I'd prefer, but I'd probably go for the non-custom as I don't like gaudy decorations on my guitars.

I like the sound of the Standard more, at least from this comparison. I once read someone saying the Standard was the workhorse of the Gibson acoustics, fair assumption? but, if i had the chance to buy/trade for the Custom, if it was reasonable i do not think the fancy appointments bother me all that much. The headstock is beautiful imo..

I will say I do just love my Custom. Rings nice, but not as bright as my Dove (which I dearly love too). The 45 Custom isn't quite as loud as the Dove nor quite the low bass but a needed guitar IMHO to have and hold. [biggrin] I need to get him back out this month as I'm on a guitar rotation so everyone get some play time.

Aster

PingPong,, that's a beauty,, congrats [thumbup]

As far as the standard vs custom is concerned?

I say you gotta go play them. I have heard on this forum an others that the standards

can be really inconsistent.

I have a standard. Now either I got lucky, or the fact they are inconsistent is not true.

Because mine was the only J-45 on the rack.

And I spent 3 days comparing guitars.

J-45, D-28, A Taylor and a Larivee.

and at the end of each day, the J-45 was hands down the standout.

That said I didn't have a Custom to compare.

oh ,, there was also a Songbird and HB but quickly were eliminated due to the extra cost

not being justified to my ear.

Every day,, I played ,, had the store guy play it in front of me so I could hear it projected.

Finally the last day I turned around and didn't look,, I picked solely on what I heard,

I took home that J-45 Standard and have never looked back.. I love that damn thing.

PingPong,, that's a beauty,, congrats [thumbup]

As far as the standard vs custom is concerned?

I say you gotta go play them. I have heard on this forum an others that the standards

can be really inconstant.

I have a standard. Now either I got lucky, or the fact they are inconstant is not true.

Because mine was the only J-45 on the rack.

And I spent 3 days comparing guitars.

J-45, D-28, A Taylor and a Larivee.

and at the end of each day, the J-45 was hands down the standout.

That said I didn't have a Custom to compare.

oh ,, there was also a Songbird and HB but quickly were eliminated due to the extra cost

not being justified to my ear.

Every day,, I played ,, had the store guy play it in front of me so I could hear it projected.

Finally the last day I turned around and didn't look,, I picked solely on what I heard,

I took home that J-45 Standard and have never looked back.. I love that damn thing.

I believe they come in another burst other than tobacco is it antique or amber?

Thanks guys!

Normally, the last type of guitar I would purchase online would be an acoustic, but dealing with Sweetwater a few times has been nothing but a pleasure.

This guitar will not be sent back!

I can definitely live without the gold tuners, but that's what it came with.

It also came with a "free" Gibson leather strap & 12 sets of Gibson strings.

I also was able to get it 24 months interest free with my GE/Sweetwater card.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Time to put her to use again.

Normally, the last type of guitar I would purchase online would be an acoustic, but dealing with Sweetwater a few times has been nothing but a pleasure...

I also was able to get it 24 months interest free with my GE/Sweetwater card.

Man, it is a beauty! I'm sure it sounds amazing. Glad to know about the 24 months interest free too. I've bought quite a few guitars that way and a J45 has always been my dream acoustic. And don't worry too much about those gold tuners - they won't stay gold for long. :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure so I had a look see and found this... [scared]

New gold top and pelham blue ???? [scared]

Just so wrong...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Standard.aspx

Normally i like alot of the LP Custom colours that most people hate but i have to agree with you on the gold and pelham, those make the git look like a cheap first act, not a fan. Give me the classic burst all the way..

I like them both......and I was lucky enough to acquire an example of both ! the J45 is a Fullers Vintage with a tri-burst and the Custom I snagged on Ebay a month or so ago was. A "Mystic Rosewood" Honey Burst... They each are great IMO

image_zpse17fce7b.jpg

image_zpsdddc3102.jpg

Sometime you feel like a Hog and sometimes ya feel like a Rose [love]

I see they've changed the dots to a new style for the fret markers & the zebra striped pick guard. Both NICE!! Mine is 2 yrs old now I believe & has dots. Happy New Guitar day as it is a beauty. I still haven't decided if I like the Gibson Masterbuilt strings (came from factory with) or D'Addero PB's on mine yet. Like them both.

Aster

Just had time to listened to the YouTube which was an excellent side/side job they did. With closed eyes, and for my tastes, the Custom just comes alive like taking a heavy sock off the mic. I like the full range sound of the rosewood better from low to high. Also to me the low end has a deeper bottom end. Think it goes down to a lower register than the standard. Defiantly some high end on the Custom that is totally muted on the Hog 45. That's just me and I'm glad I have the Custom. I would like the standard and not "dislike" it but for $400-$500 more it's worth it to me for the Custom.

Aster

Archived