Gibson Brands Forums

top of the line epiphone lp or entry level gibson?

Scott0

recently snagged a gibson lp tribute and am unimpressed with the fit & finish. they actually shipped me one with a chip in the edge of the fingerboard that had the chip glued back in. not one single epiphone i've had come through here was even close to that level of poor qc.

however, it does sound fantastic.

i bought it instead of the epi les paul tribute plus i've had on order.

but decided today to get that epi in here and compare the 2 side-by-side.

i'm curious how it will turn out.

My Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus LP comes pretty close to my Gibson USA and Gibson Custom LP Standards and Traditionals. I need them all, in particular due to the different switching options. They all are very playable, with small advantages of the "no-nibs" Epi fretboard from 1st to 5th fret, and in general better fret dressing of the Gibsons, especially the PLEK'd ones. To my taste, the nitrocellulose finish of the Gibsons feels nicer.

I am curious about your results, too.

As for the chipped fretboard, I think they should reintroduce 2nds at Gibson. Handling the sale of guitars being reworked or with minor finish flaws through pricing would be a more honest business than the issues with and the debates on quality.

The recent budget Gibsons seem like great workhorse guitars to me - they don't look wonderfully well finished, but the bare bones are there and it's a lot of guitar for the money. It is great where so much of modern guitar manufacture is contracted out overseas to see Gibson producing US made guitars at this level, and the basic finish and a few rough edges seems an acceptable compromise.

As with all of these things though, the best way to tell is to get them in hand and compare directly.

if that darn chip was on the bottom of the fingerboard it would be a different deal i think but i see it everytime i look down at my fretting hand i think the best answer here is for me to get better so i don't have to look! :angry:

The proof is in the playing, IMHO.

Second is a matter of pups/electronics, and now we're playing on a bit of subjectivity because the relatively recent batch of Epi pups has been quite nice, ditto the controls, IMHO.

So play 'em first.

Of course playing both in a store isn't quite the same as with your own amp(s), but playability is my schtick.

My "baby" Brother (around 40) claims his high end Epi LP is the best-playing guitar he's had his hands on. For him it's not a dollar thing but rather what trips his trigger. He got it as a 20-year-plus picker. Oddly although we were obvious not raised together (I'm some 28 years older), nor have we lived that close, "playability" is the major decision point in a guitar for us both.

So... I don't see any loss regardless of choice, 'cuz it's gonna be your guitar that feels best and plays most easily with your style of technique.

I always thought there was a good overlap between the epi and gibson lps. I'd rather have a true to spec in electronics, body style, and styling epiphone than an lp studio chunk of wood with a gibson logo. Electronics won't be so far apart that anyone besides you could tell, and I'm sure if you played enough you'd find an epi to your liking. The best lp I've ever played,in my admittedly limited experience, was a Korean made epi goldtop, but that's just me.

By the way, the Epi 1960 Tribute Plus LP comes with the Gibson USA '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus pickup combo, making it a real deal instrument IMHO.

indeed. and this gibbie tribute has the burstbuckers. looking forward to comparing the tones and all that as well. the bodies ,i believe are ~the same, mahogony body, carved maple cap, not sure if the thickness of that cap is the same, obviously the woods would be from different areas though. and this gib has the nitro paint which the epi won't have.

i got a screaming deal on the gibson, $565( due to shipping issues), the epi was $511.

Good choice,

I was going to vote for a Gibson LP. I think all USA Gibson's might be pleked now which means the frets are better, set-up wise. Better Pups too.

Not knocking the Epiphones. Problem seems like lots of Gibson's low end models are all 50's necks, if that works for you.

The Epiphone ES-series are Great deals compared to Gibson ES-series, very costly.

I guess now the "entry level" Gibson is the "J-series", which i've heard much more bad about than good.

i'll take a top o'the line Epi over that any day of the week....my latest Epi purchase was my '62/50 Sheraton, w/the Gibson mini hums, frequensator tailpiece, & 18/1 Grovers which arrived flawless, perfectly set up (thanks Sweetwater !) and is definitely one of the best "bang for the $" guitars i've ever owned.

and the TRUE top shelf "Elitist" Epis are supposed to be even better still....I can't even imagine....

I guess now the "entry level" Gibson is the "J-series", which i've heard much more bad about than good.

i'll take a top o'the line Epi over that any day of the week....my latest Epi purchase was my '62/50 Sheraton, w/the Gibson mini hums, frequensator tailpiece, & 18/1 Grovers which arrived flawless, perfectly set up (thanks Sweetwater !) and is definitely one of the best "bang for the $" guitars i've ever owned.

and the TRUE top shelf "Elitist" Epis are supposed to be even better still....I can't even imagine....

the j series is the junior series, this tribute les paul is not that.

:-)

My LPJ (I believe the "J" stands for "Journeyman", not Junior, 2 different guitars) is a great guitar...nothing to complain about..Yes, it isn't very fancy. Some don't like them...say they are "hideous"...Why ? because they aren't as "figured" as a flame top ? My LPJ is such a fine instrument...chocolate brown finish...looks poopy...sounds...delicious.. [thumbup]

I also have a pelham blue Gibson "special humbucker" Les Paul (has a flat, not carved top). This is also a "plane Jane" guitar...but both of them sound great, play smoothly...just fine guitars...as a Gibson electric Les Paul should be. I also have an Epiphone LP Pro+. This is a super nice instrument..with the push/pull conrols..lots of options..and the heritage cherry sunburst flame top looks unreal. So, I have no complaints about the 2 "low end" Gibson LP's and the "high end" Epiphone. I also have an Epiphone LP Junior. Bolt on neck is super nice, simple guitar. My old ears cannot tell the difference in sound between all 4, particularly when a few effects pedals are used. Playability is just about the same...really...There is some weight difference, not much. I'd go with a high end Epiphone if I was to get another, which I most likely will...Iced tea Pro + ? [thumbup]

the epi arrived about 40 minutes ago.

it wins the contest. hands down.

i'll set up and get a lot more pics tomorrow, gotta play this thing, the 57 classic pickups made me exclaim "wow" several times already. they sound sublime

99Lsvwp.jpg

I always thought there was a good overlap between the epi and gibson lps. I'd rather have a true to spec in electronics, body style, and styling epiphone than an lp studio chunk of wood with a gibson logo. Electronics won't be so far apart that anyone besides you could tell, and I'm sure if you played enough you'd find an epi to your liking. The best lp I've ever played,in my admittedly limited experience, was a Korean made epi goldtop, but that's just me.

Same here with my '96 Epi MIK LP Standard Plus Top. Pretty close to the best LP I've played (that's why I bought it)..

epilpdsc0027pb.jpg

epilpdsc0030pb.jpg

First post so here goes nothing. *eeep*

I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio 70s tribute that I bought earlier this year. It had a baked maple fingerboard. There was a large chip in the fingerboard between the fourth and fifth frets. Every time I picked up the guitar I saw that blemish and it didn't sit right with me. I didn't particularly like the feel of the baked maple fingerboard but I'm only a novice guitarist so not exactly qualified to be that opinionated.

A couple of months later I bought an Epiphone ES-345. The build quality and feel of this guitar was amazing - it left the Gibson for dead. The fingerboard felt great and I loved playing it.

I since traded the Gibson Studio in and have purchased a Gibson Les Paul Traditional - and it feels amazing. Not to mention it's great looks.

I agree, Gibson should introduce factory seconds for those guitars that are too good to scrap but are probably not good enough to be sent out to a customer as a "newie".

The other thing I have learned is buying guitars online/mail order is always a risk. If I'd had the chance to closely inspect that Studio I probably wouldn't have parted with the money for it. I like the way Sweetwater have detailed photographs of each guitar they offer for sale - a very valuable tool imo. I live in a remote country town so getting to a store is always a several hundred mile round trip.

Anyway - greetings from Australia,

Andrew.

First post so here goes nothing. *eeep*

I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio 70s tribute that I bought earlier this year. It had a baked maple fingerboard. There was a large chip in the fingerboard between the fourth and fifth frets. Every time I picked up the guitar I saw that blemish and it didn't sit right with me. I didn't particularly like the feel of the baked maple fingerboard but I'm only a novice guitarist so not exactly qualified to be that opinionated.

A couple of months later I bought an Epiphone ES-345. The build quality and feel of this guitar was amazing - it left the Gibson for dead. The fingerboard felt great and I loved playing it.

I since traded the Gibson Studio in and have purchased a Gibson Les Paul Traditional - and it feels amazing. Not to mention it's great looks.

I agree, Gibson should introduce factory seconds for those guitars that are too good to scrap but are probably not good enough to be sent out to a customer as a "newie".

The other thing I have learned is buying guitars online/mail order is always a risk. If I'd had the chance to closely inspect that Studio I probably wouldn't have parted with the money for it. I like the way Sweetwater have detailed photographs of each guitar they offer for sale - a very valuable tool imo. I live in a remote country town so getting to a store is always a several hundred mile round trip.

Anyway - greetings from Australia,

Andrew.

Well, hello. Several others here from out your way. Sounds like you're pretty darn happy with your Epiphone. It appears the Epiphone 345 is not in production at this time. Too bad, looks super cool.

Several hundred miles from a guitar store...well.....that sucks...lol

Stick around...participate in the banter...there are some fine players here.

Archived