Gibson Brands Forums

polish for covers

wiltel24

So got some raw nickel un-plated covers I want to give a little shine and polish to. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Those old nickel chrome covers lose their shine after a while and I've never found anything that will polish them back up again. Just think about what an old nickel looks like. The steel chrome covers stay shiny four years.

Find some good chrome polish. With having Harley's I use Harley chrome polish on the metal parts or this:

BlackPearlProtectant.jpg

Especially on the gold hardware as it's non abrasive and keeps the acids on your finger tips from etching fingerprints permanently into the plating. Good stuff. Haven't tried it on the guitar finish yet, but it's a polymer and works on my Harley paint well. Need to test on nitro. It seems good on Conversion Varnish on a Ric (and they are touchy too).

Aster

Simichrome & Flitz both are good products. You do have to be careful with both with the gold plated materials however. They have "cleaned" & polished the gold plate right off a SG saddle. It became a beautifully sparkly nickel finish with just a small amount of elbow grease & microfiber cloth. I know they don't claim any abrasives in either, as I recall, but must have some. Never had the black diamond cause ANY issues however. It's brother "White Diamond" DOES have abrasives in it to clean alum., Chrome, Brass etc. and it works really great too. Can scratch if you aren't really light handed though.

Aster

Archived