Gibson Brands Forums

agf new low

blindboygrunt

I almost want to see this thread now.... is it one of these 'nutter' threads they're famed for? the old "anyone else polishing the inside of their acoustic this weekend?"

Ever since I started playing acoustic guitar I've been using a strap, even though I play in a seated position. But the strap isn't long enough to let the guitar rest on my knee...so it just kind of hangs there. I've looked at pictures, and pretty much everyone who plays in a seated position doesn't use a strap, and lets the guitar rest on their leg. So I've recently started doing it that way. I'm starting to get used to it, but I still can't figure out one thing: How do you get it to stay in place? It keeps slipping forward towards my knee...I have to keep pulling it back toward me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I started playing acoustic guitar I've been using a strap, even though I play in a seated position. But the strap isn't long enough to let the guitar rest on my knee...so it just kind of hangs there. I've looked at pictures, and pretty much everyone who plays in a seated position doesn't use a strap, and lets the guitar rest on their leg. So I've recently started doing it that way. I'm starting to get used to it, but I still can't figure out one thing: How do you get it to stay in place? It keeps slipping forward towards my knee...I have to keep pulling it back toward me.

So he thinks it's because he shaves his legs???? that's mentioned earlier in this thread..... WTF.... Why would baldy legs make your guitar slip?

I was going to ask this over on the AGF but since everyone here is all revved up I figure that now is the time to posit something that has been bothering me for awhile: It seems that my Gibson J-50 sounds like a Gibson. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I've tried everything a human can possibly think of but it just keeps sounding like a Gibson.

Nah , the leg shaving was a reply in the thread. If you'd behave yersel you could've read the thread !

Naughty naughty boy

Ah ok... so there's someone with a guitar slipping because they have baldy legs? That's totally fabulous... that forum is full of headbangers!

Immac mate.... if I get into it I'll do a full body rubdown.....

Hey PM , go to Amazon and search for 'very for men' .then read the reviews. I absolutley guarantee you'll be laughing out loud.

The rest of you who aren't easily offended should have a look too. But its not for the easily offended.

Hey PM , go to Amazon and search for 'very for men' .then read the reviews. I absolutley guarantee you'll be laughing out loud.

The rest of you who aren't easily offended should have a look too. But its not for the easily offended.

Yes, I've seen these before...... someone sent a link a while back, is the product not called 'Veet' or something, it rings a bell.... a load of blokes talking about the agonies of using cremes in delicate areas?

I wonder if The AGF has ever had a thread about toilet paper? I know they've had 7,135,361,948,089,436,791,275 threads about "What guitar should I buy?" That's almost as many as the Gibson bashing threads...............In all seriousness the bashing threads are entertaining and at one-time-or-another all the guitars get their turn, although Gibson's turn does seem to come-up too frequently. Fortunately, there is a core of intelligent people who frequent the forum.

An obvious solution is eluding people: if he shaved his legs then let them grow back a little, the stubble would create much needed friction and stop his guitar sliding around. Of course, he'd need to always wear really short shorts...

An obvious solution is eluding people: if he shaved his legs then let them grow back a little, the stubble would create much needed friction and stop his guitar sliding around. Of course, he'd need to always wear really short shorts...

Now you're just letting you personal fantasies interfere with proper guitar talk !

Dang glad those "granola cruncher" weren't think'n a Bicyclist was a "BIKER" as that is major offensive language to a Harley Rider!!! Them's fight'n words for sure. [cursing] Like you said Lefty, they are CYCLISTS and BIKERS don't need to shave their legs, not even the women. We'll, we'd rather the women they did however!! [biggrin]

Aster

The ladies in Montana quit shaving two weeks ago. They look like they are wearing wooly chaps. I closed down my drive-thru leg shaving business for the winter and will open next spring.

C'mon...80% of all these conversations we trade are fillers and bro-babble. Picks, strings, posture, likes, dislikes, favs, polls. You either have to let it all happen w/o bustin' balls or self-check until the only discussions are highly informative and technical.

Maybe playing more and not sharing so much minutia would work for all. I flirt with just disappearing all the time, except that harmless nerdy bantering is mildly entertaining.

I wonder if The AGF has ever had a thread about toilet paper? I know they've had 7,135,361,948,089,436,791,275 threads about "What guitar should I buy?" That's almost as many as the Gibson bashing threads...............

I heard one of these in person yesterday--in a GC in Charlotte. I'm sitting there, enjoying a few minutes on a Keb Mo, when a guy with his son and wife stroll in and starts eying the offerings, there in the expensive room, right? So in walks a salesman, and the exchange that followed went something like this:

"Can I help you with anything?"

"Yeah, I'm looking for an acoustic."

"Do you have anything in mind that you'd like to see?"

"Acoustic-electric, actually. With a cut-away."

"Okay, so what style do you play?"

"Well, I might have some acoustic gigs coming up, so I want to be ready."

"What kind of music? Is there a particular sound you are after?"

"Not really."

"Did you have a brand in mind?"

"Well, I've heard of Martins, so....they're pretty good guitars, right?"

"Uh. What kind of price range are you thinking of?"

"I think two thousand is enough, don't you?"

I could barely sit still, I was laughing so hard inside. I just kept my head down and played through the pain.

So reading about the guy who can't figure out how to hold a guitar or use a strap--dang, I do believe I met him yesterday!!!

Be careful, everybody--it's dangerous out there!

Well may all you people make light of this.It's a silent epidemic and I'm glad someone has finally had the guts to expose it.

Only last month at the Wormsley-on-Tweed Folk Festival Tarquin Somersby had just launched into the 18th verse of "Hey nonny nonny my cat's gone a milkin"

when his guitar slid right off his lap into the first row of the audience causing a nasty Ibanez related head injury to Amy Ottersprite. These are not isolated incidents.

With that in mind I have been working with a mountaineering company on the design of a guitar secure harness."GEETAR WONT GO FAR ".It will consist of a high tensile strap harness and a series of carabiners that will lock onto your guitar in three places with post market fitted eye bolts..

I'm lobbying for legislation to make it mandatory for live gigs....taking pre-orders now.

Hey, Hogeye! You need a partner in that lady leg-shaving business? I could leg it up there for a month during the summertime. You don't need to pay me, I figure the work itself would have its rewards. :rolleyes:..........At least here on The Gibson forum we keep things serious and technical. [rolleyes]

Well may all you people make light of this.It's a silent epidemic and I'm glad someone has finally had the guts to expose it.

Only last month at the Wormsley-on-Tweed Folk Festival Tarquin Somersby had just launched into the 18th verse of "Hey nonny nonny my cat's gone a milkin"

when his guitar slid right off his lap into the first row of the audience causing a nasty Ibanez related head injury to Amy Ottersprite. These are not isolated incidents.

With that in mind I have been working with a mountaineering company on the design of a guitar secure harness."GEETAR WONT GO FAR ".It will consist of a high tensile strap harness and a series of carabiners that will lock onto your guitar in three places with post market fitted eye bolts..

I'm lobbying for legislation to make it mandatory for live gigs....taking pre-orders now.

That earned me a dirty look from the missus for laughing out loud in bed at my phone.

Cheers FB :)

Post of the week for me

Archived