Gibson Brands Forums

My Predicament

jw3571

So last month I purchased a Hummingbird which I really like. For some reason I'm really wanting an AJ to go with it. I've only been able to find one used AJ at my GC and it was in pretty rough condition. In your guys honest opinion, am I making a mistake by purchasing an AJ so soon after buying a HB? Most people on here have said that the AJ and HB are about as different from each other as you can get, so there isn't any redundancy with having both. I also have a Taylor 618 in my stable. Let me know your opinions.

I agree with getting an AJ. If you're short on bucks, then maybe the "used" one is something to consider. If you've got the money, then also look at a new one. Besides, these two particular guitars are different enough from each other to own each, although we've all owned at one-time-or-another 2-3 guitars that were very similar in wood, tone, etc. What it comes down to is what "you" like about each guitar. I like dreadnaughts and own several at the moment. They're all similar is some/many ways, but I can find something special about each one.......I'd also have no qualms in selling the Taylor. Nicely made guitars, but they're simply not "me." Whither it's new or used, an AJ is definitely something I can identify with. [thumbup]

If this is your biggest dilemma than you are in good shape.

For me it usually comes down to one simple factor - is my wallet deep enough. If you can buy the guitar outright and keep the lights on then go for it.

It is easy for me and obviously others to say you could always use the Taylor as trade bait. But I know more than a few guys who can play me under the table who love their Taylors. So if the Taylor is not ringing your chimes dangle it in front of the dealer. If you are liking the Taylor and are short on scratch then just wait a bit and save your pennies. AJs, new or used, are not that hard to come by.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went back to GC to play the one again that was in rough shape. It didn't sound good at all. It was very thin sounding and didn't sound very full, it had no balls. This is only one around me to play, but from everything else I read on here the AJ should be the exact opposite shouldn't it? The one I really want to purchase is from a very well respected online dealer.

I've bought on line a lot with 5 star dealers and never have a problem. They all have nice return policies even though I've never had to use it. Some guitars react worse than others to old strings which makes it hard to evaluate a new purchase. I do not know if this was the case at GC , but if it was ask them to put new strings on it and try it again.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went back to GC to play the one again that was in rough shape. It didn't sound good at all. It was very thin sounding and didn't sound very full, it had no balls. This is only one around me to play, but from everything else I read on here the AJ should be the exact opposite shouldn't it? The one I really want to purchase is from a very well respected online dealer.

Judging a guitar by what you read is bad business.

I am not saying buy the guitar or anything. It is always best to be sure the one you are looking at is the one you want. But is it is impossible to really judge a guitar from playing it an hour or so in a store. Never mind what gauge or how old the strings be but for all you know the thing has been hanging on a wall for a bit and needs some time to shake the cobwebs off. Most of it comes down to listening to your gut and knowing what the guitar should sound like. There are things you can do that will help tell the story like giving the side a whack with your thumb and listening and feeling.

That's the way! I believe they have a good approval process so now you live with it for a week or two and decide if you want to keep it. I have bought guitars that way. You get a much better idea of how it sounds and plays than sitting in a store.

Those are, in my experience, lovely loud, sensitive rosewood dreads. My only reservation is the neck, which if I remember right has a similar profile to my Nick Lucas reissue - kind of shallow from fretboard to back of neck. I usually prefer a big chunky neck; with my style of playing I get better leverage. Still, I do like that model.

Archived