Gibson Brands Forums

Hazing in the Nitro on my J-45 TV

mking

I have a 2007 J-45 TV in great condition. Tonight I was polishing it up with Martin guitar polish and I noticed several places on the guitar where there is a hazing in the nitro finish. Have any of you experienced this with your guitars?

FWIW - A number of years ago, Martin switched manufacturers for their polish, and it was eventually discovered to contain silicone, which can be harmful to nitro finishes. The product was replaced by a safe formula, but if you're not sure about the age of your polish, it might be a good idea to pitch it.

Gibson or Virtuoso polishes are very good.

Virtuoso cleaner effectively removes haze, and is great when followe3d up by Virtuoso polish. Be aware that if your guitar has a VOS finish, the cleaner tends to de-VOS it and move it towards glss, although it does not remove all the very fine VOS "scratches".

It is great for those of us that are not fans of VOS finishes, but don't want a guitar the looks exactly like a new, high-gloss finish.

I have not found Martin polish to be very useful in any case.

I would suggest using Meguiars #7 polish which has no protective qualities and is silicone free. Use this to get the haze out as well as any fine scratches in the finish. Then finish the job with Gibson (or another) pump polish. The Meguiars #7 polish is truly a polish unlike most items on the market and will polish your guitar to a nice gloss without any danger of harming the finish.

I would suggest using Meguiars #7 polish which has no protective qualities and is silicone free. Use this to get the haze out as well as any fine scratches in the finish. Then finish the job with Gibson (or another) pump polish. The Meguiars #7 polish is truly a polish unlike most items on the market and will polish your guitar to a nice gloss without any danger of harming the finish.

Where can I get the meguiars # 7?

Where can I get the meguiars # 7?

Amazon or any auto store. I used it on my J200 and SWD when I got them home from the 5* dealer. Since they were *touched* over the past year they had them in the showroom, I wanted to make them factory fresh as far as the finish goes. The Meguiars did the job exceeding my expectations. FYI, it was re-bottled at one time for Fender and finally dropped by Fender due to the cost. Now their crap has silicone in it. Which in itself will NOT hurt the finish but can leach into the wood making finish repairs very hard.

+1 on Meguiar's #7.

It is a little tricky to use: don't rub it in until it hazes. Instead, it must be removed with a clean cloth while it is still wet. So work on small areas (maybe 3" x 3") rubbing it in with a circular motion, then quickly wipe it off with a clean towel.

Another great product is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #34. This is a daily quick cleaner: just wipe on and wipe off. A clean guitar will shine like new. (Why guitar shops don't use this on their display guitars I don't know.)

It also is silicone free.

A good auto parts store should have both (as well as quality microfiber towels) or you can get it from Amazon or elsewhere on the Internet.

FMA

Right then…

Seems like a lot of work for guitar. Haze and all that don't bother me. But when I'm walking around with it and singing to myself and I hit the doorknob or something and look down and see wood. That's the heartbreaker

Who wants to take this one?

We'll wait for PM to get up.

Funny. I was thinking the same thing....

Palour Man. Wake up. Your destiny calls.

I'm awake boys… but come on, where do we start? Where does it end? How many forums should I get banned from in a week?

MOP, it was not offensive, not at all, it does however leave an awfully open door to misrepresentation, however as it's xmas allow me to wish you good wood and good wood to one and all, please sir can I have some more?

Right then…

Ya not a big deal. How would ya get banned? I've hung around here a little while haven't seen anyone banned yet?

All I meant by what I said is don't sweat the small stuff play your guitar ya know? Anyhow don't walk into any doorknobs either lol

I'm awake boys… but come on, where do we start? Where does it end? How many forums should I get banned from in a week?

MOP, it was not offensive, not at all, it does however leave an awfully open door to misrepresentation, however as it's xmas allow me to wish you good wood and good wood to one and all, please sir can I have some more?

Archived