Gibson Brands Forums

New Strings on a New 2013 Les Paul Standard

Bballistick

I purchased a new 2013 Les Paul standard at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. Had a nice surprise a couple days ago when after the price drop with the 2014's coming out, the store refunded over $500.00 on their 60 day price guarantee. I put some new strings on the guitar today and I have to say that I love them. They are Gibson's Vintage Reissue strings in the 9-11-16-24-32-42 gauges. The strings are great with this guitar. I like them better than both the Ernie Ball's and Elixers. I'd recommend anyone to try them out. BTW, I love the guitar!

I purchased a new 2013 Les Paul standard at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. Had a nice surprise a couple days ago when after the price drop with the 2014's coming out, the store refunded over $500.00 on their 60 day price guarantee. I put some new strings on the guitar today and I have to say that I love them. They are Gibson's Vintage Reissue strings in the 9-11-16-24-32-42 gauges. The strings are great with this guitar. I like them better than both the Ernie Ball's and Elixers. I'd recommend anyone to try them out. BTW, I love the guitar!

good to hear..... may have to try a set or 2....

Welcome to the Forum btw!

I've been using Vintage Reissue strings for a few years now, and I love them. I used to use 009s, but switched to 010s, being told that Gibsons were designed to be played with 010s. [thumbup]

That's a good point to ponder Andy. Maybe I'll check out a set of 10's after the 9's lose their zing. I do like the fluidity of the 9's, but you do lose a bit of bottom.

Hello Bballistick, that's indeed what I would call a nice surprise, too. [thumbup]

By the way, I like to congratulate you on your great purchase, but there's an unwritten forum rule:

Pictures, or... it didn't happen! [biggrin] So I am looking forward to them. [love]

;)

Cheers,

capmaster

Hello Bballistick, that's indeed what I would call a nice surprise, too. [thumbup]

By the way, I like to congratulate you on your great purchase, but there's an unwritten forum rule:

Pictures, or... it didn't happen! [biggrin] So I am looking forward to them. [love]

;)

Cheers,

capmaster

Sorry bout that Cap. I'm having a hard time uploading from my IPad. I'll try soon again from my wife's PC

No problem here so far, and no need to hurry, mate. B)

Here's a photo. I used the same one for my avatar. I'll change it and post a better pic once I have more time. This was taken with my Iphone. This is the new Les Paul that I got a few weeks ago and then used Sam Ash's 60 day price guarantee to bring it in for under 2K. With the 2014's coming out, the 2013's prices dropped dramatically. I really like the look of the guitar even though it's only an AA top. I actually prefer the simplicity of it to the busier flamed or quilt designs. To each his own I guess.

post-61420-042807300 1387764292_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking axes! I just got my 2013 Les Paul 50s Tribute Goldtop. For my Strat and Epiphone Riviera, I use Ernie Ball heavy bottoms, but I am impressed with the strings from the factory on this. Anyone know what gauge they are? 9s?

Great looking axes! I just got my 2013 Les Paul 50s Tribute Goldtop. For my Strat and Epiphone Riviera, I use Ernie Ball heavy bottoms, but I am impressed with the strings from the factory on this. Anyone know what gauge they are? 9s?

sweet looking guitar...love the color and I agree on the top...just needs to look good...I just picked up a 2013 Traditional on the closeout prices from Sweetwater...and am in love...will post some pics in a day or so...later.

cowboy123

sweet looking guitar...love the color and I agree on the top...just needs to look good...I just picked up a 2013 Traditional on the closeout prices from Sweetwater...and am in love...will post some pics in a day or so...later.

cowboy123

HAHA I feel like Gibson broke record sales this month, I bought two 2013 models on clearance. A standard for 1800 and a traditional for 1499. Should make the guys at Gibson think about how lower retail prices can cause a huge increase in profit.

+1 on the Gibson vintage strings. I'm a longtime Elixir Nanoweb user but when I got my new Standard (looks a lot like yours, AA Desert Burst :-) a couple weeks back the vintage strings (.10s) were recommended so I tried them.

I'm a sweaty-hands guy so the Elixirs always gave me a little extra smooth feel for changing chords, navigating leads etc. The Gibsons aren't coated so they took some getting used to, but I found that a bit of string lubricant (Fast Fret) gives me much the same feel. The downside of the Elixirs always seemed to be a little less clarity; not so with the Gibson vintage strings.

Archived