Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions needed on 1961 Gibson C6 Classical

Dave F

Here's a link to a local auction house I use.

Are there any Forum Memebers with some expertise in this field that can share some opinions?

My main concerns are the inside label.

It looks like there's a square label underneath the oval one.

Plus the s/n looks more to be from 1966 and not 1961.

The case looks nice.

https://www.ebth.com...lassical-guitar

Here's a link to a local auction house I use.

Are there any Forum Memebers with some expertise in this field that can share some opinions?

My main concerns are the inside label.

It looks like there's a square label underneath the oval one.

Plus the s/n looks more to be from 1966 and not 1961.

The case looks nice.

https://www.ebth.com...lassical-guitar

ya I see the label underneath so what are they hiding? I would walk away, doesn't seem right to me.

Did Gibson ever make any guitars with a "Zero Fret" like that one has ?

Yes. Several of their classicals. This appears to be a C-6 Richard Pick, which was their fanciest model. I'm pretty sure it's the same body plan as an LG, or very similar. Don't know if is used conventional steel-string top bracing or classical-style top bracing, but Gibson classicals are not particularly known as being good classical guitars.

Not sure what the second label underneath is all about. All the C-6's I have seen have the oval Richard Pick label.

It certainly looks genuine, and it's not a guitar anyone would fake, IMHO.

Some of these have what appears to be Brazilian rosewood backs. All are rosewood, to the best of my knowledge, with ebony boards.

Probably better for Brazilian music than classical, I would guess.

From the research I did they did.

The rosette shown does look unique to this model.

I think it's legit C6, just dated incorrectly.

Around that time, I think Gibson was transitioning from square to oval labels.

The inside shot does seem to show rosewood back which is also unique to that model even though the back shot makes the wood look lighter.

I may stop by their showroom and look it over.

Here's a similar one.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-usa-richard-pick-c-6-c6-nylon-1966-nat#

I've got a '58 C6 identical to the one in the auction, all except the tuners. Mine was an R&D guinea pig for Gibson and was eventually given or sold to Eddie Collins. It has an experimental (horrible) finish much like like Italian Vox guitars of the 60s. Mine has no finish whatsoever on the neck.

I do happen to like mine very much. I will wholeheartedly agree that Gibson classicals are nothing special. However I do very much like the radiused board and larger frets on mine. It gives it a whole different feel than the average classical.

Mine is a wreck and I bought it for $400 in 2006. I know people have gone ape s*** with their prices. They're just not worth it. I did okay with $400, warts and all.

As to the label, it looks like a typical C-0 C-1 type rectangular label was put in and the C-6 label slapped on over it. It's a C-6 though, no question.

Here's my wreck:

c6h.jpg

c6i.jpg

Dave,

Nice looking Gibson classical. Guitar and case are in real nice shape too. I bet with a little soap & water that case's exterior would come out as clean as the interior. The only problem that I can see is knowing how much to bid. I always thought it would be neat to own a Gibson classical but where the price is now would be about the most I would want to go. [tongue]

I guess I don't want one bad enough to pay top dollar. [rolleyes]

I stopped by and looked at this guitar.

It's in mint condition.

Looks like it was bought, strummed a couple times and put in the closet for 48 years.

Others must have looked at it because the price is going up.

I stopped by and looked at this guitar.

It's in mint condition.

Looks like it was bought, strummed a couple times and put in the closet for 48 years.

Others must have looked at it because the price is going up.

Do you know if these usual go for this price? I would have thought that it was at top dollar now at over $1K, but then again I not up on the prices on something like this. [confused]

Do you know if these usual go for this price? I would have thought that it was at top dollar now at over $1K, but then again I not up on the prices on something like this. [confused]

Vintage Guitar list them at $1000 to $1250

GBase shows one sold that was listed at $2499, not sure what it sold for

Other references I see the asking price go from $1200 to $2200

If condition is poor it takes a big drop to the $400-$600 range

• 1 year later...

Vintage Guitar list them at $1000 to $1250

GBase shows one sold that was listed at $2499, not sure what it sold for

Other references I see the asking price go from $1200 to $2200

If condition is poor it takes a big drop to the $400-$600 range

i just listed one of these in the Trading Post if anyone is interested. really quite a nice classical. much better than the C-0 and C-1's that populate the market.

Archived