Gibson Brands Forums

another sad day.

blindboygrunt

Sad, but then not sad as he came so far.

A couple of his songs among my favorites for sure.

Remember playing a full-band version of Bells of Rhymney at a pretty big indoor aid-concert many years ago - what a kick that was.

Turn, Pete, , , turn turn. . . .

Sad, indeed. Though he certainly lived a long and productive life.

I only met Pete once, when I covered the 50th anniversary Newport Folk Festival back in 2009. Pete was a charming and humble man. Here's a great photo my daughter shot from behind the stage:

Newport50thPeteSeeger_zps1d69ce7f.jpg

He's playing with the angels now, probably teaching them a thing or two!

I still have his "How to play the 5 String Banjo" book, though my long neck banjo has been replaced by the standard neck.

He was an ace on the 12 String.

And his family was as talented. Peggy... Mike. As Pete was instrumental (sorry) in bringing millions closer to Folk Music, his brother Mike was a pioneer in bringing bluegrass back to our consciousness with the New Lost City Ramblers.

The Seeger family was not just a part of the fabric or our musical lives in the last century - they were/are an American treasure.

The Pete Seeger banjo book made me think of comedian billy connolly . in the sixties he said he went to Glasgow tourist office and asked if they knew where he should go to learn the banjo. 'I may as well have said I'd like to take my willy out and stick it up my nose'

He eventually found someone who taught . after a few lessons he discovered the guy was two pages ahead of him in the Pete Seeger how to play the banjo book , went and bought a copy , overtook him and in 3 weeks was teaching the class himself .

I also still have my How to Play the 5 Sting banjo book and LP as well as a couple of boxes full of Sing Out and Broadside magazines..

It is rare when somebody passes and you can say the world will never be the same. I knew him and Toshi a bit and loved them both.

I don't see it as sad. He lived to be 94, got to sing and play all the time, got blacklisted, had the last word.... what's not to celebrate? I have a copy of How to Play the 5 String Banjo around here somewhere that I bought and worked through in 69 (though I never could play Foggy Mountain Breakdown. That book was pretty good stuff).

Archived