Gibson Brands Forums

Best live bands you've seen

krock

Resurrection Band, 1984, Camden Town Hall.

Paul Weller, Poole Arts Centre (as was)... Can't remember the year, Stanley Road tour. Also, Bournemouth International Centre, As Is Now tour.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've seen a lot of bands, but to keep it a "short list" i'll just name the bands that i've seen multiple times that ALWAYS impressed.

Aerosmith.....close, but no cigar....sometimes too worried about dance steps to sound great.

Kiss.....even closer....main turnoff was Bruce Kulics obscenity laced tyrade getting them permanently banned from Oak.Mt.(now Verizon) Birmingham Al. Ampitheater.

White Lion....amazing!

Poison....GREAT shows!

AC/DC.....Blew us away!

Def Leppard.....Amazing!

but the top 2 are probably totally unexpected because they're considered "also rans"

every time i've seen them i've wanted to see them again, and again and again.

Atlanta Rythym Section

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

The husband and I saw Guns 'N Roses during the "Use Your Illusion" Tour and with the exception of the three hour wait until Axl decided he would go on stage, it was a stellar show!

I am also *NEVER* going to say no to a Def Leppard Concert! The tour they did with Motley Crue was particularly awesome!

Also saw Metallica with Suicidal Tendencies and Danzig. At first blush, you would think that show would have gone over like a fart in an iron lung, but it was actually pretty good. Mostly Metallica and Suicidal, though, Danzig's performance that night was meh.

Billy Joel puts on a great show, too, and Rush during their "Roll The Bones" tour was pretty awesome, too!

Well, most of the well known "Famous" bands, I've seen (and that's a LOT), have been Great "Live!"

I don't ever remember being disappointed, with any of them. BB King was awesome, when

I saw him, in 1972.

But, one the the better bands, I saw in my youth, was only "regionally" famous, a band

called "The Blue Things!" They were outstanding "Live!" Better, than on their album,

at that time. They were really "Tight," great musicianship, with good, melodic, and rockin'

at the same time, original material, as well as awesome "covers," too. Another "horn band,"

"The Fabulous Flippers," were also outstanding, Live, back then! They did a lot of "Soul"

music, and covers of Blood Sweat & Tears, and other's of that style. And, of course Mike

Finnigan and Jerry Wood, AKA "Finnigan and Wood," was a regional favorite as well. This

area had a LOT of great bands, in the mid-late 1960's and early-mid 1970's.

CB

CB...

Actually the funny thing about the Oklahoma City-based regional bands like the Blue Things is that my understanding from one of 'em is that there was a batch of picker and they'd sometimes be Blue Things and sometimes Red Dogs and sometimes... <grin>

Really good musicians.

One of 'em ended up in my general neck of the woods and still pickin' for a living with his now 40-ish but gorgeous and talented daughter on keyboards.

m

CB...

Actually the funny thing about the Oklahoma City-based regional bands like the Blue Things is that my understanding from one of 'em is that there was a batch of picker and they'd sometimes be Blue Things and sometimes Red Dogs and sometimes... <grin>

Really good musicians.

One of 'em ended up in my general neck of the woods and still pickin' for a living with his now 40-ish but gorgeous and talented daughter on keyboards.

m

Yeah, we had access to a LOT of great bands, back then! I really MISS that, too!

I'm sure the "rotation," planned or not, was based on previous engagements, and

who was actually available, when needed. But, there certainly was no shortage of

great bands! In a decent variety of styles/genre's too!

There's nothing like that, now. Both in quality, and quantity of places they could

play. Sad!! [crying]

CB

=D> All of the classic bands that are still performing (Stones, Ac/Dc, Pink Floyd, ...) are all too expensive to see live now and I was too young to see classic bands live when they were performing (and were affordable). However, I enjoy the Classic Albums Live series that has come to our River Run Centre theatre. They recreate classic albums note for note, saw Dark Side of The Moon and Abbey Road. Excellent recreations, classy, not rock show cheap. I also enjoy the few cover bands that come through town, there's a few Zeppelin, and a couple Ac/Dc. It's good that cover bands do at least try to keep the music alive because for most of us we'll never get to see the real thing.

I confess I'm liking some of the heavier music now that the members have aged and the fans tamed. heh, heh.

CB...

It may just be county folks, but actually there still is likely live music in two local saloons on a lotta weekends here. Town population 6,000.

Rapid City used to have some of the best local country bands you could imagine - definitely pro quality. Now there's less of it, and in ways, I think it's almost some of the same folks today playing as were playing in the '70s.

A cupla problems and I don't wanna sound nasty here to younger bands. But I think among the reasons the bands made up of older musicians have more gigs is that they are a lot more flexible on their book even more than they're known for good, solid music. Most can do a 50s-70s rock gig or turn it a bit and do a country gig from the same era. Or just as likely, mix it up.

The younger bands I've heard are trying so hard to do their own thing that they ignore a good sound mix and don't play what a paying audience is willing to play to hear. And the "kids" don't get it. Too, their own age group likely ain't gonna pay for booze in the saloons where there's enough money to pay a band, either. It's a waste of some good young talent, but no saloonkeeper is gonna hire a band that chases away business.

Other factors, of course - saloons don't make the money they did before BAC was lowered, for example. Making smoking illegal also cut the number of folks who enjoy saloon dances. The anti-smoking folks can say what they will, but most of the folks I know who still smoke, drink and wanna hit a saloon for music... quit going out and tend to have friends over if anything at all.

m

Yeah, those factors are all true, no doubt about it. Where I live, there are no 6000 population

towns, within reasonable driving distances, for a bar, or small club gig. Add to that, the drunk

driving laws, and cops waiting outside the venues that do still hire bands, so they can cite the

drivers with DUI's, and no one wants to come out, anymore. The cops even do that, in Wichita, and

OKC, as well as the smaller towns. So, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't, in one

way or another. Of course, cell phones, and texting cause more accidents, nowadays, than drunk

driving ever did...at least, around here.

Brave New World! [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

If you get a chance and you're in Vegas, check out Sin City Sinners. I caught them at the Hard Rock in Louisville not long ago, ( they are actually the house band at the HRC in Vegas ), and they just flat out kick tail. Zack Throne ( also an actor ) and Brent Muscat ( from "Faster *****cat" ) front the group. I think Scott Griffin from L.A Guns was on bass, and Rob Cournoyer was the drummer.

Too many to list or remember.

Been at it for a while now...

Wait a minute... besides the obvious ones,

I'll name a standout... The Darkness!!!

If you like this band, they are kick azz live.

I saw The Darkness in Lowestoft and they were pretty good. I wish Justin Hawkins hadn't done eurovision song contest though, that was a terrible song, and performance

There were quite a few and reading these posts jarred my memory, but the ones that still stand out after all these years were

KISS in 1978

Robin Trower, twice with James Dewar and six times without him (wasn't the same, but still great)

Allman Brothers on the Enlightened Rogues tour

Allman Brothers with Dickey and Warren

Alvin Lee and Ten Years Later with Blackfoot

The Great American Guitar Assault Show with Lonnie Mack, Roy Buchanan and Dickey Betts

Lynyrd Skynyrd when Hughie was still alive

Archived