Gibson Brands Forums

Mystic Rosewood?

Sounds like rosewood. Very pretty. Flat sawn to show off the grain. Theoretically weaker, more prone to cracking, but I doubt it makes much difference in practice. You saw a lot of flat-sawn highly grained examples like this in the waning days of Brazilian supplies. Even stump wood, some of which was incredibly beautiful. Haven't heard anyone complaining about cracks, but those folks could be lost in transcendental dreams, staring into the depths of their guitar backs.

p

Flat sawn to show off the grain. Theoretically weaker, more prone to cracking, but I doubt it makes much difference in practice. You saw a lot of flat-sawn highly grained examples like this in the waning days of Brazilian supplies.p

I can vouch for the fact that over time, it is much more likely to develop cracks. Back in the early 1970's, I had a little 1870's Brazilian Martin New Yorker with the most convoluted grain I've ever seen. The guy that did the spectacular restoration for me (Martin refused to touch it) had to put about 30 splices in it to fill up the cracks. I've been a fan of straight grain wood, preferably quarter-sawn, ever since.

I'm convinced that this type of grain is good for its unusual aesthetics, but causes heartburn in every other way.

I'm convinced that this type of grain is good for its unusual aesthetics, but causes heartburn in every other way.

Now that's funny.

The forum has been quite educational to me lately with the talk about why I really don't want an old guitar and now why quarter sawing has its virtues. When I first got my 'Bird I was ready to send it back because it looked to me like they burned the lacquer when they buffed it. Turned out that it just has an insane level of silking from being properly quarter sawn.

It's time to go play it.

Thanks for filling me in P and j45nick!

FMA

I found this in a video review of the J-45 Custom Vine MysticRosewood:

"This wood comes from the base of the tree close to the stump where the weight of that enormous tree overhead creates compression and distorts some of the grain line in the wood." --Dennis O'Brien

Looks like you nailed it PP.

FMA

I have one of the first run of 50, using ren's wood, think its from india. I did see a second run and in the write up they said the wood was from bolivia?

I've had mine for 2 years now got a couple of other gibson acoustics, but I like the Mystic Rosewood the best :).

It don't say Mystic rose wood on my tag though, it say's 5* J45? ( I think cause it was through a 5* dealer?).

I can vouch for the fact that over time, it is much more likely to develop cracks. Back in the early 1970's, I had a little 1870's Brazilian Martin New Yorker with the most convoluted grain I've ever seen. The guy that did the spectacular restoration for me (Martin refused to touch it) had to put about 30 splices in it to fill up the cracks. I've been a fan of straight grain wood, preferably quarter-sawn, ever since.

I'm with Nick on this…this type of grain will most likely crack…..as beautiful as it is……I wouldn't touch it…..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I remember reading this a while back and having some concern.

I purchased a new Mystic Rosewood J-45 Custom back in November of 2013. Should I have any concern in cracking of the back/sides in the future if the guitar is kept in proper humidity and temperature? Or do I have a "grenade" in my hands just waiting to fall apart? I hate to overreact, but I also don't want to be stuck with something that is only going to significantly depreciate in value.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_7761_zps2e2dc8b6.jpg

First off, I've seen plenty of straight grained guitars with cracked tops, sides and backs.

I'm fairly careful about abrupt changes in humidity and temperature. IMO Mystic Rosewood, stump wood, whatever, would do just as well as straight grain with that type of care.

Currently I'm thinking on a Gibson purchase with 'Exotic Rosewood', and I'm no more concerned about possible future cracks than any other guitar I've purchased.

BTW, that Mystic Rosewood J-45 is gorgeous. . [thumbup]

When thinking the other way round, quartersawn wood would tend to splice horizontally, wouldn't it? This kind of damage could be well beyond repair. And how would one realize it in case there's no splicing visible on the surfaces? I guess the guitar would just sound poor, lack volume and sustain, and perhaps start making rattling noises at certain notes. [unsure]

So I think regardless of build it's best to take care of precious instruments and enjoy their tone when playing. B)

I looked up wood densities the other day. Relatively, Bolivian rosewood is about 0.82, while East Indian rosewood is up around 0.9. Sitka spruce is about 0.45. Honduras mahogany is about 0.65, and Spanish mahogany is up around 0.85. As mentioned, I imagine that rosewood around the tree stump is somewhat more dense than the cited values.

Archived