Gibson Brands Forums

So you think you're an expert :P

Glorbon

Alright this is a little contest I'm putting together now because im terribly boored.

This contest is for everyone who think that they got that special "ear" for Guitar type and brand.

So i got this clip with my trusty guitar, while im playing some licks (excuse my bad playing btw). And i want you to guess the guitar brand, year and type =)

Oh don't be scared i will give ya some tips

1: The guitar is Either a Gibson or a Martin

2: The guitar is not older then 9 years

3: It is recorded with a crappy mic so it might be hard to hear the right tone (I know this aint a tip)

4: The strings are quite old and the light E string is a elecrical one (I lost the string and had to replace it quickly)

Alright so one guess per person and the one who guesses right will get the:

"Guitar Master Ear Award"

Well u will only get the title, and well.. It's more of a honorable reward than somekind of prize.

Let the competition begin =)

Here is the file

http://www.upload-mp3.com/pfiles/47949/Untitled_mixdown.mp3

Well there is no really problem with the guitar, i mean the strings are old yes but that tends to make the guitars sound more unique and special. A new stringed guitar pretty much sounds the same while an old one got a more characteristic sound.

Careful spectral analysis (including a fast fourier transform) suggests to me that it's a guitar. Maybe.....

What is an expert? Anybody who knows a couple more things about it than you do.

Like exactly where to smack it with the hammer to make it work.....

Alright we got two great guesses here people' date=' c'mon don't be shy just guess freely =)[/quote']

I'm not shy. Just don't have a clue, but I'll go with a Martin with dead strings. Just doesn't sing on the high end like a Gibson but that could be because of the strings. Doesn't have that bass response of a Martin, but that could be the strings.

Cheers,

Les

What is an expert? Anybody who knows a couple more things about it than you do.

Like exactly where to smack it with the hammer to make it work.....

An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault.

i listened 5 times and that E string is killing me. i played in a band with a guy who used electric strings and a bill lawrence soundhole pup on an acoustic. the thing was like shaking a tennis ball can full of screws.

i think the key to this is the body slap he makes near the end. i think lsg was right about the elixirs. the dull bass thump says rw to me but that could just be old strings. the mics not bad but what would really help us if you listed your guitars in your sig line.

my guess is 05 dove.

Hummingbird!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Whumpy like a J-45 but the midrange is snappier from the long scale.

Plus, J-45's high E string is hard to record without flutter, especially if it's an electric string.

What do I win?

I mean, my ears are so blown, I could really use some hearing aids (obviously).

Jes' a wild-assed guess on the Hummingbird thing, but really, some Miracle Ears would be swell!

Archived