Gibson Brands Forums

Things your mom used to tell you when you were young

daveinspain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 3 that come to mind:

1) At a Doctor's office filling out forms, turns to me at 6 years old and asks, "You were born in 1974, right?" Me: "No, I was born in 1973.". Mom: " No you weren't, you were born in '74. I should know, I was there.". Me: "No, I was born in 1973. I know because I was there, too."

2) In our house, if any of the kids complained about what was on the supper table we were told, "Eat it or wear it!". My younger sister took my Mom literally and dumped a bowl of Spaghetti - O's on her head.

3) Keeping with the supper theme: When I was growing up we couldn't always afford the best quality food. My Mom made Brussels Sprouts for dinner. We ate them, but not happily. My older sister asks, "Mom, what are these squiggly things on the Brussels Sprouts?". My Mom says, "Extra protein, now eat!". To this day, none of us except my Dad eats them and if we are anywhere that offers them, you're likely to see three grown women fleeing as far away from them as quickly as humanly possible!

We were never told "Wait until your Father gets home" because our Dad worked 3rd shift and didn't get home until 7:30 a.m. and we were already on our way to school. Our equivalent was "Don't make me wake your Father up!"

My Mamma was an extremely intuitive and very smart woman. She made a comment on a girl friend (older than me) one time. Not with her around mind you.

Don't know how long this will stay up but here it is:

"If she had as many on the outside as she's had on the inside, she'd look like a porcupine!!"

My jaw just about dropped to the floor. This coming from my proper & reserved MAMMA!! [biggrin]

That was after meeting my girlfriend once (I was 21 maybe I guess).

Mamma was right, I was wrong, the girlfriend was a disaster!!!

Aster

She sounds like my Mother - In - Law! :D. When my husband introduced me to his parents his Mom looked me straight in the eye and said, "I like you, you're not a wh*** like his other girlfriends!". How do you respond to that???? All I could say was, "Ummmmm, thank you????"

My mother always had what she thought were words of wisdom. Turns out most of it was "hokum". "Don't go outside with a wet head you'll catch cold". "Eat the crusts of your bread it will give you curly hair." (I already had curly hair.) "Eat beets and peas on New Year's Day it will bring you good luck all year." And on and on....

Rosemary...

Whew, no kidding that your experience with that terminology would be difficult to respond to...

I also think "moms" must talk quite differently with sons that they do with daughters on a variety of topics...

Aster...

That's an example of what I just noted to Rosemary. <grin> I won't even go into variations on that theme I'd heard over the years. I will admit that I stayed as far from "groupie" types in my rock days as possible; ditto thrice-divorced hairdressers and such in my saloon-playing country era.

m

Rosemary...

Whew, no kidding that your experience with that terminology would be difficult to respond to...

I also think "moms" must talk quite differently with sons that they do with daughters on a variety of topics...

Aster...

That's an example of what I just noted to Rosemary. <grin> I won't even go into variations on that theme I'd heard over the years. I will admit that I stayed as far from "groupie" types in my rock days as possible; ditto thrice-divorced hairdressers and such in my saloon-playing country era.

m

Milo,

My Mother-in-law had some doozies! The other that comes to mind was "If you come here pregnant, I'll shoot you and ask questions later!". She never held back what was on her mind. I respected that because I knew I could be open with her as well. She and I didn't always see eye to eye, but she knew that she could say anything she wanted to me or about me - after all the things that I had been called and the way I was treated in school she could say NOTHING that I hadn't heard before - but if she went after her son, it was on like Donkey Kong. Its not that she didn't love her son, its just that she sometimes approached trying to inspire her sin to be better the wrong way and I made that clear to her. I would like to believe that when she passed away, she left knowing that her son had someone fiercely loyal on his side because I promised her that I would always take care of him and protect him.

Win isn't woman? As in Sna Sna Win (a girl I knew) Okay, that's Dakota perhaps with the "N" sound stedda ng/nasal/ŋ or "wi(h)a nasality to it???

Whatever... Just plain blew it on Hokshila

Transliteration drives me nuts when I listen to Yankton Sioux or Sisseton/Wahpeton vs. Pine Ridge Lakota and hear different things for the same word that neither of those speakers hear.

That's why I learned to transliterate directly from Korean "hangul" to English instead of trying to listen to how people pronounced stuff that drove me nuts. Some of the revisions of "official" transliteration Korean to English drives me nuts too because it wasn't what I was hearing. Ah, well. Be dead soon enough when it'll make no diff.

m

Ah, yeh, milod "win" is "woman" but i didn't say "win". Yes, the "n" makes it nasalized and "win" is actually shortened version of "wiyan" which means "woman".

"Hokšíla wašté waŋ uŋ wé". Maybe you saw the "waŋ"?

Hokšíla= boy wašté= good waŋ= a uŋ= be we = difficult to explain. The means I am a woman talking and asking you to do something.

Mato...

gotcha...

As I recall there has also been some difficulty with movies using Lakota where a woman taught at least one man how to speak Lakota, but the men ended up using the women's form that she unconsciously used in her teaching.

It's an intriguing language I wish I knew more about. And as with most languages, even a significant knowledge even of vocabulary and grammar only scratches the surface of meanings.

Too much to learn in this world; such little time.

m

Too much to learn in this world; such little time.

m

Hmmmm. Maybe Doris Leader Charge who instructed Kevin Costner in Lakota in Dances With Wolves? Although, as I remember, he largely used male forms. And she was an instructor at Sinte Gleska so I think she would have instructed him correctly. Delightful lady.

Too much to learn.. such little time. That can apply to a lot. Especially trying to learn guitar!

Speaking of learning, and Lakota and guitar.....aren't you somewhere in Rapid City area? Do I remember that correvtly? There is going to be a Lakota language consortium in Rapid this fall. I may attend. it's a long way off but if I do maybe we will grab a wakalapi (coffee)and/or jam?

I think it was Man Called Horse was the problem... It's been a while. I was at the SD premiere of it, but that... some time ago.

I'll im you when I get two big work things done this afternoon.

We're somewhat close to RC. A bit north, but...

m

Aster...

m

Don't get me wrong on what she said. She would not have condoned (almost spelled condomed he he) me being "one of those on the inside" at all. It wasn't reserved for just the "gal" and not the "guys" in the least. She was fair & even on responsibility to the nat's eyelash. Dad too with some of the things he tried to tell me when I was dumb & 16. [biggrin] Didn't listen till I was maybe 20 then they both were about as wise as King Solomon.

Aster

Just had to blow my nose and all I could think of was my mom saying "Don't blow to hard you can damage your ears"... :-k

Damn it all! Cripes! Holy jumpins'! Jesus Murphy!

Archived