Gibson Brands Forums

Things your mom used to tell you when you were young

daveinspain

As well as the usual English superstitions I used to get Indian ones as well. So an example would be "Its bad luck to have an upturned shoe."

A pigeon flew into our conservatory when I was about 12. It crapped on everything I remember being made to clean it all up msp_glare.gif

my Mom was born at home and raised in the coal camps/towns of the West Virginia mountains where there is a superstition for everything.

"never rock an empty rocking chair".....because that's inviting a spirit to come sit with you.

Mom would come UNGLUED when a bird got into the house because that was seen as a harbinger of death to come soon to someone.

the never answer to an unseen caller, was to avoid evil spirits/possibly satan himself striking up a conversation w/you.

there were many more, most even stranger than these, but Moms family had the superstitions of the Dutch, Welsh, and Native Americans, along with learned superstitions from their Hungarian, Italian, Asian, and African American neighbors.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She have French heritage...?

Yep, French from Paris.

Come to think of it her and my dad used to threaten military school and convents. Thing is she spent time in a convent to get away from the German occupation in the early 40's and my dad was in the military. They were threats that had some realistic possibility of coming true we though.

If I got sarcastic or grouchy..... "Get outside and blow the stink off ya!"

"Sigh....you make me tired." I never fully appreciated that until I had kids of my own that wouldn't shut up.

When I turned 20 I was involved with a married woman (also 20, with a 2 year old kid). She was going to leave her husband and we were going to ride off into the sunset together. The best advice my mother ever gave me in life, hands down, was: "If she'll do it to HIM, she'll do it to YOU."

I have read all of the responses, and some sound so familiar, and also funny.

From so. Ca. to the east coast, all the way to the UK, there are some funny stories being posted.

I enjoy reading theses stories, jokes, and its kind of cool when members post them for others to read.

Maybe we should have an ongoing thread about the lighter things in life with the forum members.

My Mamma was an extremely intuitive and very smart woman. She made a comment on a girl friend (older than me) one time. Not with her around mind you.

Don't know how long this will stay up but here it is:

"If she had as many on the outside as she's had on the inside, she'd look like a porcupine!!"

My jaw just about dropped to the floor. This coming from my proper & reserved MAMMA!! [biggrin]

That was after meeting my girlfriend once (I was 21 maybe I guess).

Mamma was right, I was wrong, the girlfriend was a disaster!!!

Aster

"I hope your kids turn out just like you."

[lol].........That's a barbed comment if ever I've seen one!

And I know exactly how your mum felt, BBP.

My daughter might behave like an absolute angel 98% of the time but that remaining 2% somehow feels like it balances out the rest........

P.

My mom asked me once "When are you going to go out with a nice girl?" My smart*** reply was "Mom - nice girls aren't any fun!" for which I was promptly slapped. msp_unsure.gif

I had a '65 Mercury station wagon (not cool, but necessary for hauling a Sunn bass amp) and I put pink shag carpet in the back (way cool huh?); my mom called it "the sin wagon". One Saturday morning, my dad woke me up and said "you better get up and wash your car before your mother sees it". I didn't understand why until I saw the car - there was mud caked all over it and corn-stalks hanging from the back bumper! Before I could destroy the evidence, my mom came out and had a fit. She took my keys away for a month... Good thing my dad took the panties off the rear-view mirror, or I still wouldn't be driving! She's 90 now, and still brings this episode up occasionally - usually in front of my wife, who is a "nice girl".

He he he!! Makes me think of my old VW days, horse trails & getting stuck out somewhere and just happen to have a gal with me at the time. "I had to swerve to keep from getting hit and went down this trail. I couldn't go up so I kept going down to see if I could make a run at it!" [rolleyes] Yeah right I'm sure what the thoughts. Prolly something else about a dang turnip truck too. [biggrin]

I would be proud if I was 1/2 as patient & forgiving as my folks were.

Aster

IMO my kids aren't a patch of me. They take after their Mother and are selfish and nasty. I argue with them every time I see them. I've had 30 years of drugs and disappointment with them. They're 30 and 33 now. The eldest is starting to grow up finally, But. Who cares.

Archived