Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Pearly's early albums.

P.

Piippy,

Yes indeed.....Early ZZ Top is Billy and Pearly at their finest.

I looked up the definition of TONE in the dictionary and it said ~

"Blues based Rock'n Roll played with a Sunburst Les Paul a Marshall Amplifier and some fine Texan attitude!"

Take Care ~ MississippiBlue

Piippy,

Yes indeed.....Early ZZ Top is Billy and Pearly at their finest.

"Blues based Rock'n Roll played with a Sunburst Les Paul a Marshall Amplifier and some fine Texan attitude!"

Take Care ~ MississippiBlue

Just to add fuel to the fire ~

Mick Taylor. His work with John Mayall's Blues Breakers was stunning. The Blues Breakers spawned three MONSTER Les Paul Slingers.

Regards to all. MississippiBlue

Just to add fuel to the fire ~ Mick Taylor. His work with John Mayall's Blues Breakers was stunning. The Blues Breakers spawned three MONSTER Les Paul Slingers...

I can see we're going to get along just fine, MB.

jwburst1.jpg

rct

:-s

How come Joe's playing my 'Marmalade'?....

:-k

P.

Right on Pippy. By the way. There is a guy who plays his Les Paul with the hammer of the gods ~ He's pretty good too.

Take care Pippy. MississippiBlue.

Just a side note to spark some interest. We've all seen Hendrix playing his Flying V and his SG along with his beloved Stratocasters. I read many, many years ago (long before the Internet) that he playe a black Les Paul Custom ( I think a 1954 model ~ not sure of the year) on House Burning Down from Electric Ladyland. To my ears, when he played his Stratocasters he was on fire but when he played Gibsons his tone and feel was much more on the soulful side. Keep the Blues Alive. MississippiBlue.

8ee154c6449bddd0ae2917c9d40823b0_zps0ba17522.jpg

/Robert

Thank You Robert.... That is the one. I saw that guitar at The Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago about 10 years ago. Mind you it was behind plexi glass but what a sight to admire. They had it right in the main entrance. Picking just one favourite Les Paul Slinger is next to impossible. The list just keeps growing ~ and that is a good thing.

Gary Rossington and his GORGEOUS Bernice

Martin Barre

Rick Derringer

Thanks again my good man... MississippiBlue

OK I'll throw another three out there -

Pat Travers

Ace Frehley

Mickey Marchello

Great choices Haphazard...A few more {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}

}

Bernie Marsden

Scott Gorham

Oh and Jeff beck before he went to the Dark Side of the Force.

Lindsay Buckingham

Safe to say we are all in GREAT company.

All the best. MississippiBlue

I have to wonder, and I dont mean do diss anyone for their favorites, but so many people say their favorites are "Page, Bloomfield, ect ect, guys that have been dead for years or havent done anything for years. Are they Really your favorites or do you just say so cuz someone else did or its a popularity thing? I'm 50, I cant stand to listen to Led Zepplin, Cant change the channel fast enuf. I'm a die hard Priest fan, so im a metal head, so I guess I've never really listened to the majority of these guys you name. So when I click on the Kossof links and so forth, I just dont hear the greatness you all seem to here, I just wonder Why you all think so?

I have to wonder, and I dont mean do diss anyone for their favorites, but so many people say their favorites are "Page, Bloomfield, ect ect, guys that have been dead for years or havent done anything for years. Are they Really your favorites or do you just say so cuz someone else did or its a popularity thing? I'm 50, I cant stand to listen to Led Zepplin, Cant change the channel fast enuf. I'm a die hard Priest fan, so im a metal head, so I guess I've never really listened to the majority of these guys you name. So when I click on the Kossof links and so forth, I just dont hear the greatness you all seem to here, I just wonder Why you all think so?

It all boils down to...

Tone

Taste

Tenacity

Glenn Tipton and KK Downing are an INCREDIBLE guitar duo. They too were huge influences in my playing.

Priest is better with Halford. However Ripper Owens is no slouch.

Dave Murray

Adrian Smith

Janick Gerrs

UP THE IRONS !!!

Peace. MississippiBlue

Well, first of all Page isn't Dead! He may be, in your mind, but he's very much alive. Second, just because

we don't happen to list ALL our favorites, doesn't mean we don't like any beyond the one, or two, mentioned, dead or alive.

I'd say most of us here, have a LOT of "favorite" LP slingers. It's just that sometimes there's one, that comes to

mind quicker, because he/she may have been the first one, we became a fan of, or even our MOST favorite,

overall. Certainly doesn't mean we don't like/love other players, as well.

And, some here may be like me?...I go through "phases," even now, where I listen to a "favorite"

player for quite awhile. Then, move on to another one. But it doesn't mean I've stopped liking

or loving the others. Variety is GOOD!

You say you can't stand "Led Zeppelin," and can't change the channel fast enough? Some here, may feel

the same about "Metal?" But, SO WHAT! Listen to what YOU like, and allow us the same courtesy, without

questioning "Why!" "Greatness" isn't only measured in notes per measure, but in feeling, execution, taste,

and yes, overall creative longevity.

IMHO, as always...

CB

Many guitarists(genre aside and axe of choice aside)have influenced me in their own way.

Al DiMeola - His precise technique.

Billy Gibbons - Smooth, thick supple tone.

Paul Kossoff - Pure soul.

Zakk Wylde - Fast, precise,ATTITUDE

Ted Nugent - Brute force.

Jimi Hendrix - Above and beyond his time.

Angus Young - Listen to his slow blues in particular. WOW

Jimmy Page - Exploring the fret board.

Thankfully, the list goes on and on and on.

Listen,digest,admire and MOST importantly LEARN but do not copy. Let ALL your influences manifest themselves in your playing. My goal- which I'm still trying to reach is to develop MY TONAL FINGERPRINT. Keep listening and playing We all go through our listening phases. That's what it's all about.

Kindest Regards to all of you. MississippiBlue

Mick Taylor. His work with John Mayall's Blues Breakers was stunning...

Just for fun and in case it's a new snap for anyone;

Here's the LP Mick Taylor played with the Blues Breakers following in the footsteps of Slowhand and Greeny. When I first saw the snap it wasn't captioned and I wondered whether it was a genuine 'burst or an aged modern version. Then a while back three of my mates had the chance to play this very Paul.

Lo-resMickTaylorburst_zps5fa586aa.jpg

I have to wonder, and I dont mean do diss anyone for their favorites, but...I just dont hear the greatness you all seem to here, I just wonder Why you all think so?...

Because we all like different types of music; we all search for different things in music; we all hear the same piece of music differently; we all have aspects of music which may impress us whilst leaving another person completely indifferent; we come from different generations and, although it's not true in 100% of cases 100% of the time, different generations tend to appreciate different things both from their predecessors and those who follow - and a thousand other different reasons besides.

I'm sure no-one will think you are 'dissing' their choice and in turn they may be equally unable to understand your preference for those players whom you like in preference to their own favourites.

P.

Archived