Gibson Brands Forums

Strat Demo Video

surfpup

So I tried to show some different sounds on the Strat I recently redid. I certainly gave the el cheapo Mighty Mite neck a good workout - including some neck bending as we were talking about in another thread recently. [biggrin] Surprisingly even after I beat on it for half an hour it was still in tune. Starts off pretty mellow, but gets a bit crazier in the end if you can stand the whole 14 minutes. It turned into a bit of a wankfest I'm afraid, but it was 30 minutes before I edited it down so it could be worse. :rolleyes:

I should mention that another mistake I made was not repositioning the mic when I switched to the Marshall amp. It was pointing directly at the Fender amp but 90 degrees from the Marshall. It makes the Marshall part sound muffled. Not too smart on my part.

I really like the rhythm sound through the Fender. It sounds really "throaty"! Is that the attenuator that gives it that distinct edge? The leads through the Marshall are sweet!

Thanks. The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp with a Fender guitar. The attenuator merely makes it tolerable in a tiny room. At that level - 8 on the volume knob - it would be quite painful to stand in front of.

Love the vid surfpup. Your strat sounds HUGE and looks beautiful. Nice pickin' too btw.

I hate to admit it on a Gibson forum, but the guitars I always enjoy playing the most are my Strats.

Side note... that was a very nice demo on how nice your Juice Box attenuator works/sounds.

The one I bought from you is a permanent attachment to my JTM-45! (unless I ever gig again and I doubt I will)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Yup, as everyone else says, good stuff, Surf!

Can you clarify something, please? Did you say the 'Marshall' is a Ceriatone 18w clone? If so then I'm very impressed by how 'Marshall' it is!

Normally I'm very much in the Fender-esque amp corner but that later combination of Guitar/Amp/Box you had really did get the right tone.

Congrats all round!

[thumbup]

P.

Good stuff there SP. [thumbup] But, a handsome guy like you doesn't need to hide his face from the camera. [biggrin]

Well, I didn't want my handsomeness to distract from the guitar. :rolleyes:

Side note... that was a very nice demo on how nice your Juice Box attenuator works/sounds.

The one I bought from you is a permanent attachment to my JTM-45!

Really glad to hear it's working so well for you. It always feels good when someone loves something you made for them. [thumbup]

Third rate romance!!! Go Surf Pup.

Heh... heh... good stuff those Amazing Rhythm Aces. My trio does that song. I'll post it up in the "Walk the Walk" thread just for you. In fact we are playing close to your neck of the woods this Saturday the 21st at the Palatka Arts Center.

Sweet tones and sweet playing. That Marshall tone really blew my mind though. Don't get my wrong I love the Fender, but wow that Marshall really nails it. Great stuff.

Thanks, I appreciate that. You guys are a kind and forgiving audience no doubt. I wish I had repositioned to mic thugh - the 4-10 cab sounds even better than it came out in the vid.

Can you clarify something, please? Did you say the 'Marshall' is a Ceriatone 18w clone? If so then I'm very impressed by how 'Marshall' it is!

It is indeed a Ceriatone, Pippy. And yeah, Nik really does a good job. I had him change my circuit a little so that it has a type 2 post phase inverter master volume. I don't even use my own attenuators on it since the master works so well. And I can A/B between the two channels and be totally pedal-less if need be. One channel for rhythm and one for lead. In the video I had the channels jumperped.

Wow, those are some sweet sounds! great playing too.

How are you liking the Marshall 4x10 cab?

Thanks, man. The cab is really awesome (I know you love yours too). The bass is much

tighter than the semi-open Avatar 4-12s I was using. I imagine this is due equally to

the closed cab and the 10 in. speakers. Plus it looks sick - perfect size for my 18

watt head.

IMG_3405.jpg

Archived