Gibson Brands Forums

RabsWood no2 test video

Rabs

So heres the video of the latest guitar to be finished... The oak neckthrough Arrow... I still need to do some minor fret work and a wee bit of setup but its pretty much there and plays ok even before...

Im pretty happy with the sound of it too.. those pickups sound pretty cool (from http://www.axesrus.co.uk/ if anyones interested).. Its no Gibson, but its not meant to be :) It goes from quite dark and bassy on the neck to very bright and light on the bridge.. Well see what you think (and sorry for my now as per usual guitar ramblings :unsure: (one day I will do a proper vid with a backing track an all :))

Cheers guys... I am pretty happy with the sound of those pups which is cool cos they wernt that expensive... I have three more sets from the same company so im hoping they will all sound that good and I have myself a good supplies with a decent sound :)

Rock. That guitar is a real looker

Cheers... I got a few more oak ones to come.. but I gotta watch the weight... this one is thin so is not too bad but I got some thicker bodies that I will have to check the weight of jut to be sure.

Cool! Must feel amazing to play something you crafted from scratch like that. [thumbup] I really like its sound in the clean and semi-clean tones - though playing through a nice tube amp might warm up the distortion sounds a lot. The body is smaller than I thought it would be - or you have a giant torso! :rolleyes: It sounds like the neck pup is a lot louder than the bridge too - but a little adjustment will fix that right up. Mind boggling really when you realize you started from slabs of wood!

Cool! Must feel amazing to play something you crafted from scratch like that. [thumbup] I really like its sound in the clean and semi-clean tones - though playing through a nice tube amp might warm up the distortion sounds a lot. The body is smaller than I thought it would be - or you have a giant torso! :rolleyes: It sounds like the neck pup is a lot louder than the bridge too - but a little adjustment will fix that right up. Mind boggling really when you realize you started from slabs of wood!

Cheers man... and yes it is pretty cool... I think I have done well so far BUT am never happy lol and I wont be until I have something that plays and sounds as good as a Gibson.... Its one of these weird things about working on creative projects (and used to happen in the games industry a lot)... After yoyu have been working on the same thing for a long time you only ever see the issues where as someone else probably wouldn't even notice.

Im kinda getting close but still having a few wiring and fret issues.. but im getting there bit by bit...

Im hoping that first set neck im doing will be perfect in every way :)

And yes you are right about that volume drop on the bridge pup.. im not exactly sure why at the moment.. cos whats weird is the neck has 300k pots and the bridge has 500 so you think it would be louder lol.. but I will learn and get it all right in the end..

.. cos whats weird is the neck has 300k pots and the bridge has 500 so you think it would be louder lol.. but I will learn and get it all right in the end..

That will allow more treble to pass, and you can hear that for sure. But the strings vibrate more toward the neck, resulting in more volume. I almost always have my neck pups level with the top for this reason. Height adjustment should solve the discrepancy. Keep up the great work. [thumbup]

That will allow more treble to pass, and you can hear that for sure. But the strings vibrate more toward the neck, resulting in more volume. I almost always have my neck pups level with the top for this reason. Height adjustment should solve the discrepancy. Keep up the great work. [thumbup]

No height adjustment for these pups... they are surface mounted...

I really just wanted to try them cos they look cool and different (and sound pretty good as it goes :)) but I think I will stick with adjustable pickups from here out for exactly these reasons... if they were asjustable I could just move the neck down and the bridge up and that would probably sort it out.

And yes by the way to answer the other point... It is a bit smaller but not as much as you may think (so I must be huge :P :)) heres some pics I took a while back where you can see what I based my design on (sort of :)).. oh and I weighed it today and it came in at a respectable 7lbs [thumbup]

DSC05623_zpse888cfdb.jpg

DSC05627_zpseaf763a2.jpg

DSC05638_zpsf3aed356.jpg

Congratulations!

This guitar rings like a bell. Brilliant clear tones! It immediately reminded me of Edge from U2.

I like that very characteristic dirty bridge pickup sound too. Very raw - ashames even a P-90. [thumbup]

The neck seems a bit muddy, however (I am the guy who mostly plays the neck pickup on His LPs with tone pot halfways).

Great job! Hats off, Rabs! :)

Cheers... Bence

Congratulations!

This guitar rings like a bell. Brilliant clear tones! It immediately reminded me of Edge from U2.

I like that very characteristic dirty bridge pickup sound too. Very raw - ashames even a P-90. [thumbup]

The neck seems a bit muddy, however (I am the guy who mostly plays the neck pickup on His LPs with tone pot halfways).

Great job! Hats off, Rabs! :)

Cheers... Bence

Thanks man... im really happy with the sound.... how much that is to do with the Oak body im not sure but its one of those guitars that you can really feel vibrating when you strum a chord on it [thumbup]

It is nice, Rabs. Though, that is true, I am not a fan of usual pickups and passive guitars and I distinguish their sound, but the sound of your guitar is good.

Thank you sir...

and yes... those pups are very similar (looking) to the Gretsch dynasonic ones so they are a bit strange but not totally out there. If they were adjustable and not surface mounted I would probably use them again as they sound pretty cool. And they were a great price £48 for the pair.

Or I could always devise my own way of making them adjustable :)

Archived