Gibson Brands Forums

The LPJ Club

CJ Smith

Thanks, man. The 'final' touch was the curved chrome p/u rings I got from WD Music.

Using the original black screws added a nice complement to the saddles, IMO.

I agree. The black screws do add a nice touch and compliment the black saddles. It isn't too much of one color. I like it. Oh, and you're welcome.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Jesper, happy to have you here. As CJ pointed out, the grain on your LPJ is extremely nice! I like those max-grip knobs too. Enjoy it in good health.

I really like the Satin Chrome TP and Nickel(?) Bridge combo. The look works very well with un-covered p/u's and the Chocolate Satin finish.

Great looking 2014 LPJ. I'm sure I need not even ask how mind-blowing the sound is? Ooops...I just did. [biggrin]

Thanks Guys. I do agree on the Wood grain, it looks great. I am a sucker for matte/satin finishes in general so both the Wood finish and the satin chrome makes it a stunning guitar (imho).

Sound wise I couldn't be happier. That said I am not experienced in Electric guitars so I may be easy to please. I have no experiences with more expensive guitars, valve amps and what have you, so the presets I made on my Mustang 2 amp sounds great to my ears for what I use it for.

Thanks Guys. I do agree on the Wood grain, it looks great. I am a sucker for matte/satin finishes in general so both the Wood finish and the satin chrome makes it a stunning guitar (imho).

Sound wise I couldn't be happier. That said I am not experienced in Electric guitars so I may be easy to please. I have no experiences with more expensive guitars, valve amps and what have you, so the presets I made on my Mustang 2 amp sounds great to my ears for what I use it for.

I couldn't agree more. I like the satin finish, too. It's a good thing we got these when we did, because Gibson won't be doing any satin or vintage gloss finishes for 2015.

Yes, a good polish would really bring out the grain. My LPJ was rather dull looking at first.

Plus, I was concerned about the thin nitro-cellulose finish. I must have read about a dozen or more different products.

I made the decision to use Dr. Ducks Ax Wax first and WOW did it bring out the grain. Great stuff with just one problem: it never dries!

That's right. It even says so on the bottle. So I had to keep buffing until all of the excess was on a polishing cloth. And if one uses

more than a miniscule amount, chances are their arm would fall off. So, Dr. Ducks was great for what I wanted. BUT, I decided to not use

it regularly because, well, it never dries! lol

I've heard about Virtuoso putting a 'real' shine on but according to their site, there's 'no turning back'...

Finally I settled on Music Nomad's ONE which I really like.

I've been thinking about polishing my LPJ, but I'm not sure what kinda polish to use. I like the satin look, but I think it would look good with a little gloss to it.

Well, look into Virtuoso; but like I said, I think it is a permanent gloss so if you don't like the results you're kinda stuck...but who knows.

I intend to purchase Virtuoso soon and test it in a inconspicuous area - I too like the idea of a little gloss.

Usually, I avoid giving 'firm' advice to people (on any subject) but what I described above really worked out good. When I removed the

toggle-switch ring, the finish was all dull and lifeless compared to the rest of the guitar. So out came the Dr. Ducks and bam!

Then the Nomad stuff and the guitar is uniform once again...and there actually is a minor shine going now and the wood is smooooooooth.

Hm, that's a good idea. I just might try that. Thanks for the advice. How glossy did your LPJ get? Do you think it's possible to get a full gloss out of it?

Not glossy at all, really - just a hint of a shine. A full gloss? No, I would think not. That said, for 'bringing out the grain', go see the Dr. (Ducks).

I actually did buy and try numerous products. The ONE stuff is my main polish now, even if it does have a tad of Carnuba Wax in it... nice results.

When I get up the courage I'll try the Virtuoso Guitar Polish, but as I've said, I'm pretty certain the gloss is substantial, but irreversible.

....and, you are very welcome, CJ.

That's why I'm kinda unsure about polishing my LPJ. I don't wanna do that and then not like it. Maybe I can see about looking for some pictures on the net to give me an idea of what it'll look like.

2013 LPJ 498T Pickup Differences?

My guitar was made in December, 2012. Pickups look rectangular like photo #1 - hot glue at the corners plus the Gibson USA stamp.

The hex?-shaped pickup in photo #2 was made in 2013 according to that sticker and glued near the height-adjustment screw holes?

Why the change? Anyone? Thanks!

=========================> ----------------------

The ones that came my guitar with where like those on foto #2.

First i was confused to, but now i think they did this to make production less expensive.

The ones that came my guitar with where like those on foto #2.

First i was confused to, but now i think they did this to make productions less expensive.

That's probably the only reason I wouldn't get a '13 LPJ. I just don't like the black pickup covers. I like the pickups, so I wouldn't wanna have to replace them for the same basic pickups.

I wasn't too thrilled about the black covers at first, but they grew on me and then I offset with some chrome and removed the black p/u selector ring.

I think it looks unique and 'killer' (Post #73). I always took the pickguard off my LPs, so I won't put one on my '13 LPJ, especially a black one lol.

Next I'm gonna get 'something small' silk-screened onto the covers in gold like the headstock and positioned somewhat like the EMG logo.

Yeah, I saw that. It's a nice look. Definitely gotta offset all that black. I think LPs look better without the pickguard, too. That silkscreening idea sounds good. It'd look pretty cool.

... i think they did this to make production less expensive.

Share this opinion. However, I think producing an additional line may have increased costs in the long run.

There are no adjustable pole screws. Using two slug coils increases inductance, causing a lower resonance frequency and higher output.

Archived