Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton waiting thread

sdgails

My guess is the delay is unexpected sales in asia, the chinese seem to go mad for uk branded things, unfortuantly we come second seemingly, as is maybe the case with the elitist riviera.if they were only ever going to make 1000 i guess they would have numbered them like the 62/50. I havent seen numbering mentioned anywhere. I like most pre ordered in march because of the 1000 only news! They will more than likely be on the walls of most shops next year!

I don't think it works that way. orders for these guitars for the US or UK or wherever will go to their respective markets. it makes no sense that Epiphone would say "the Chinese will eat this up...let's sell as many here first". chances are the factory just got behind in production.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's reassuring to at least know some people have them. Can only be a few weeks away at most.

Everywhere claims they are only making 1000 - it would be a disappointment if they changed that.

did Epiphone ever mention there were only going to be 1000 made? I'm just curious. I haven't seen anything advertised other than "Limited Edition"

I was keeping an eye out on some of the larger music box chain stores here for any word on the UJ. I think it was American Musical Supplies that said estimated arrival date is now 12/27/14!

ZZounds says expected delivery date is 12/29/14!

I ordered one because of the "limited" quantities, 1000 world wide and the quality of the build. When I originally ordered this in June, I was told 1000 units were to be made. 300 going to European markets, about the same to the USA market, and the rest going to other points of the compass. Now you're telling me there may be 10,000 or more made? Doesn't sound limited to me. If that's true, shame on Gibson and Epiphone for misleading us. I've got half a mind to cancel my order. Well Gibson, time to start answering these questions. What's the truth?

I ordered one because of the "limited" quantities, 1000 world wide and the quality of the build. When I originally ordered this in June, I was told 1000 units were to be made. 300 going to European markets, about the same to the USA market, and the rest going to other points of the compass. Now you're telling me there may be 10,000 or more made? Doesn't sound limited to me. If that's true, shame on Gibson and Epiphone for misleading us. I've got half a mind to cancel my order. Well Gibson, time to start answering these questions. What's the truth?

this doesn't say anything about 1,000 worldwide...unless I missed it. http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Archtop/Ltd-Ed-Union-Jack-Sheraton.aspx

Crust

I'll be sure to post pics when it ever gets here. It's frustrating to say the least. I've got $900 burning a hole in my pocket and I need to feed my GAS attack. If it's going to be any longer than ANOTHER month, I may cancel my order and pick up something else. Hmmm that new Flame Maple Plus Top Strat has been calling to me and it's less expensive too. C'mon Epiphone give me my new ax!! I'm not waiting forever. Probably better if I buy one used off of Ebay in a year or two. I'm sure this will drop a couple of hundred bucks in price just like my Ltd Ed 1960 reissue ver 1 Lester did. ARRRGGGGHHHH

To satisfy your desire of Epi pics, I hope this will make you happy.

Man, those Korina things, the Moderne, nice guitars indeed msp_thumbup.gif

I just got off the phone with the Epiphone service line where we can speak with someone answering questions. He told me that there has been a larger request for the UJ then anticipated, but that he could not comment on when the stores get them. He said it is possible that some stores have not kept their payments up-to-date and that is why the delay may be in effect there. He did tell me that there are places around the globe that have been receiving the UJ, but he is not informed as to whether any USA stores have gotten them at this time. He said to keep in touch with the store itself that you have ordered from as they will possbly have that info.

He also said that if there is enough of a request for these guitars that Epiphone would consider doing a second run of them, as they are not like Gibson inthat when a given number of guitars are scheduled to be built, Gibson rarely, if ever, would go over that number.

I asked him about the quality of the electronics, and he said not to expect the electronics to compare with Gibsons, which is a fair assessment.

The necks on these are not as skinny as previous model Sheratons of this type and will be more "D" shaped in the back, and not as flat. The feel will be in between a 50's and a 60's feeling neck. I asked him if the neck might feel similar to a '63 block board 335 and he said that if they follow the dimensions carefully, then yes, it will be similar to that feel. Of course we all know how much things vary, but this person was quite open about answering my questions and did not hesitate to go into detail and how the UJ was either similar or different from other Sheraton models.

I hope this information is helpful to you all. I just got off the phone with this man and got onto the forum to pass the info along.

I don't think it works that way. orders for these guitars for the US or UK or wherever will go to their respective markets. it makes no sense that Epiphone would say "the Chinese will eat this up...let's sell as many here first". chances are the factory just got behind in production.

Supply and demand, say if China want 5000 and the rest of the world want 1000, China comes first, basic business plan. I'm not saying they're disregarding U.K/USA, just that the lower volume and higher shipping costs aren't a priority. Like I said though I'm just assuming due to Epiphone's poor customer services lack of clarity on the problem. Maybe they did just get behind but they managed to get most of the other new releases available on time. All of the big gibson dealers in the uk claimed 1000 worldwide from the beginning of pre orders. It's either good marketing or Epi stated 1000 when first announced.

I just got off the phone with the Epiphone service line where we can speak with someone answering questions. He told me that there has been a larger request for the UJ then anticipated, but that he could not comment on when the stores get them. He said it is possible that some stores have not kept their payments up-to-date and that is why the delay may be in effect there. He did tell me that there are places around the globe that have been receiving the UJ, but he is not informed as to whether any USA stores have gotten them at this time. He said to keep in touch with the store itself that you have ordered from as they will possbly have that info.

He also said that if there is enough of a request for these guitars that Epiphone would consider doing a second run of them, as they are not like Gibson inthat when a given number of guitars are scheduled to be built, Gibson rarely, if ever, would go over that number.

I asked him about the quality of the electronics, and he said not to expect the electronics to compare with Gibsons, which is a fair assessment.

The necks on these are not as skinny as previous model Sheratons of this type and will be more "D" shaped in the back, and not as flat. The feel will be in between a 50's and a 60's feeling neck. I asked him if the neck might feel similar to a '63 block board 335 and he said that if they follow the dimensions carefully, then yes, it will be similar to that feel. Of course we all know how much things vary, but this person was quite open about answering my questions and did not hesitate to go into detail and how the UJ was either similar or different from other Sheraton models.

I hope this information is helpful to you all. I just got off the phone with this man and got onto the forum to pass the info along.

I expect the electronics to compare to gibson, they're gibson pickups with CTS pots etc!

No offense my guitar brutha, but the truth is that buying guitars based on some perceived future value due to some perceived current rarity is something that Gibson, Epiphone, any seller of things would laugh at. If the time they make it is Limited to one year, and they can crank out 20 thousand of them in that year, is is indeed, Limited. If a retailer took advantage of that single word and took a bit of liberty with the definition of that word by putting some number to it well, shame on them for doing that, and shame on anyone for buying a guitar based literally on marketing speak.

When you get it, if it SUX, will you keep it because of the perceived relative rarity of it? When you go to sell it, which is the only reason to buy a guitar based on that, will you tell the buyer that this thing SUX but man it is RARE!?

I'm interested in trying one of these too, but just because the paint job is sexy. I don't care how many they make, I have been around guitars for a long time, and if we all got our blood pressure up over never delivered marketing promises, we'd all be dead. It's just a guitar, there is no telling how many they make, production numbers of privately held companies don't have to be told to anyone unless and until the maker decides to, and that really isn't all that often, usually something stupid expensive.

It'll be in stores at some point, in some number, in some bunch of countries, that none of us can demand to know or make future value projections with. I do know the urge, need sometimes, to "get" something that you think there won't be many of. Unless you know how the thing is, there is no sense in agonizing over whether you will get one or not.

I hope you do, I hope it is a great guitar, and I hope you play it such that in 10 years none of us would recognize the paint job and that you don't care what it is worth because you love it!

rct

Supply and demand, say if China want 5000 and the rest of the world want 1000, China comes first, basic business plan. I'm not saying they're disregarding U.K/USA, just that the lower volume and higher shipping costs aren't a priority. Like I said though I'm just assuming due to Epiphone's poor customer services lack of clarity on the problem. Maybe they did just get behind but they managed to get most of the other new releases available on time. All of the big gibson dealers in the uk claimed 1000 worldwide from the beginning of pre orders. It's either good marketing or Epi stated 1000 when first announced.

I get what your saying but if the distribution centers in the US and Europe order a certain amount by a date, the factory doesn't make the decision to keep them in China because the demand is so high. also, Epiphone isn't known for releasing guitars on time (the new Bonamassa model for example).

you are right though...UK stores are the only ones claiming 1000 worldwide.

No offense my guitar brutha, but the truth is that buying guitars based on some perceived future value due to some perceived current rarity is something that Gibson, Epiphone, any seller of things would laugh at. If the time they make it is Limited to one year, and they can crank out 20 thousand of them in that year, is is indeed, Limited. If a retailer took advantage of that single word and took a bit of liberty with the definition of that word by putting some number to it well, shame on them for doing that, and shame on anyone for buying a guitar based literally on marketing speak.

When you get it, if it SUX, will you keep it because of the perceived relative rarity of it? When you go to sell it, which is the only reason to buy a guitar based on that, will you tell the buyer that this thing SUX but man it is RARE!?

I'm interested in trying one of these too, but just because the paint job is sexy. I don't care how many they make, I have been around guitars for a long time, and if we all got our blood pressure up over never delivered marketing promises, we'd all be dead. It's just a guitar, there is no telling how many they make, production numbers of privately held companies don't have to be told to anyone unless and until the maker decides to, and that really isn't all that often, usually something stupid expensive.

It'll be in stores at some point, in some number, in some bunch of countries, that none of us can demand to know or make future value projections with. I do know the urge, need sometimes, to "get" something that you think there won't be many of. Unless you know how the thing is, there is no sense in agonizing over whether you will get one or not.

I hope you do, I hope it is a great guitar, and I hope you play it such that in 10 years none of us would recognize the paint job and that you don't care what it is worth because you love it!

rct

RCT

No offense taken. The main reason I ordered this was because of the build quality promised, included case, Gibson mini humbuckers and the frequensator tail piece. The fact that they were to be produced in a limited quantity was just icing on the cake. When the 1960 reissue Epi LP was offered, they stated that only 1960 of them where to be built. They did eventually show up on store walls but not the version one I wanted. Everyone had the version three. So I ordered the v1 from GC and am very happy with it. I like it better than a few of my friends Gibbys. I paid around 8 or 900 bucks for it brand new. Now you can find them all over Ebay for between 450 and 600 bucks. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to play, same as I'm doing with the UJ. If it goes up or down in value is immaterial to me. I don't sell my guitars once they're in my collection. I have around 36 of them so far. When my time comes I am leaving them all to my alma mater. At least that will keep everyone from fighting over them when I gone. ;-)

RCT

No offense taken. The main reason I ordered this was because of the build quality promised, included case, Gibson mini humbuckers and the frequensator tail piece. The fact that they were to be produced in a limited quantity was just icing on the cake. When the 1960 reissue Epi LP was offered, they stated that only 1960 of them where to be built. They did eventually show up on store walls but not the version one I wanted. Everyone had the version three. So I ordered the v1 from GC and am very happy with it. I like it better than a few of my friends Gibbys. I paid around 8 or 900 bucks for it brand new. Now you can find them all over Ebay for between 450 and 600 bucks. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to play, same as I'm doing with the UJ. If it goes up or down in value is immaterial to me. I don't sell my guitars once they're in my collection. I have around 36 of them so far. When my time comes I am leaving them all to my alma mater. At least that will keep everyone from fighting over them when I gone. ;-)

Well played! Mine, and any and all money made off 'em all goes to Yellowstone. No fighting over them here either!

Good luck, I hope it shows up soon.

rct

Me, I heard the guitar being played by an above average player on a youtube vid, the player took thar guitar through all its p up combos and those minis just sounded schweet! Ordered the guitar because I thought a Sheraton would round out my collection and I always wanted one, I am also an Anglophile, spent months in the UK in my twenties and i am a major fan of Brit Pop...I also really like Oasis...so there is another plus..Noels Git always intrigued me.My only worry when I heard of the porported 1,000 run was I hope I ordered early enough to be one of the recipients.I have invested in enough guitars that are daily players that will still sell for much more than I paid for them and will still allow for a profit over and beyond inflation.The UJ was never considered to be as an investment..just a guitar to make me happy until my next G.A.S. Attack.

For those who feel they want to cancel their order to make a statement; seriously, do you think Epi really gives a flyin' fark if you do?

1412891449[/url]' post='1575148']

I would probably buy an SG if it were painted to resemble the "Fool SG". I wonder how many people remember that guitar. I think it is owned by the Hardrock Cafe now.

There are a few on Ebay right now...i think they are going for 1300.?

imorgg,

I understand that you mentioned the reason you are buying one is the buiild quality and Gibson electronics. After speaking with the Epiphone person yesterday, he mentioned that the pickups would not have braided wire, but that plastic wire covering. I asked him if these were Gibson mini buckers, to which he replied "yes". However, I believe personally that these pickups may have been made to Gibson specs but are not made at the Gibson plant in Nashville. This is only my personal feeling. He also said not to expect the same quality wiring as is used on Gibson guitars.

My feeling on this is that if I like the guitar well enough to keep it and play it, not just leave it lying around, I might be tempted to send it off someplace and have a really nice high-end electrical harness wired for Gibson 50's wiring and have a real switchcraft input jack installed.

I would never believe even written advertising literature on these or other Chinese-built Epiphones to have anything comparible to american Gibson wiring. I would expect the Japanese verions of Epiphone to possibly have the american wiring, but not on this model UJ.

All I can hope for is that the chassis of this guitar is satisfactory for my needs, and then having it re-wired would only cost a bit more, which would certainly improve the tone, and even surpass the factory historic wiring, of which a lot of people have re-done with the same wiring harness I am referring too.

The Epiphone person did tell me these guitars would range in weight up to 10-11 pounds, which is certainly way above what a nice 3X5 from Gibson would weigh.

To me, that is the most significant detractor to this guitar. I don't want to be playing an anchor like this when my other guitars weigh in the 5.5-6.5 pound range.

imorgg,

I understand that you mentioned the reason you are buying one is the buiild quality and Gibson electronics. After speaking with the Epiphone person yesterday, he mentioned that the pickups would not have braided wire, but that plastic wire covering. I asked him if these were Gibson mini buckers, to which he replied "yes". However, I believe personally that these pickups may have been made to Gibson specs but are not made at the Gibson plant in Nashville. This is only my personal feeling. He also said not to expect the same quality wiring as is used on Gibson guitars.

The pickups are made by Gibson in Nashville. if they weren't they wouldn't call them Gibson mini-humbuckers. Epiphone would have come up with another name like Mini Pro Bucker or something. The electronics will be just like any other Epiphone with Gibson pickups. same old output jack, toggle, and wiring with the exception of CTS pots. Unless Gibson changed over to the quick connect wires on the mini hb's like they do with the BB's and 57 classics used in other Epi's; they will more than likely be braided wire.

LPS1976,

I most certain hope you are right, and I am wrong. That would be a plus that I was not banking on. :)

you know the kind of S-storm it would be if these things didn't have Gibson mini's in it...I think there would be an uprising :)

I also deal with Sweetwater, and from what I have seen around the net at other US dealers, something in the back of my mind tells me that I won't hear anything positive about them getting any UJ's for awhile yet.

I know this sounds negative, but I have learned that if I expect the worst and get good news, it's always a pleasant surprise.

LPS1976,

While some here might be annoyed if the pickups weren't official Gibson mini's, I would be happy just to know that the guitars were close to being received at the dealers, and that they didn't weigh 10 pounds.

Anything not glued to the guitar chassis can always be dealt with.

Archived