Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton waiting thread

sdgails

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless I am not reading right, a guy bought a 62RI Sheraton and made a Noel out of it? Is that what this is?

rct

Well its arrived.....

Mixed feelings, ill start with the bad. The finish is about 90% there, paint around the f holes is quite bad, small scratch in the blue bottom left (not through to white) small crack im pretty sure is in the laquer at the fretboard/neck/nut joint, the bottom of the frequensator is quite badly tarnished near aged look, i can clearly feel the difference in height between the paint and binding on the neck and some of the paint and binding joints could be better (being super critical here) the case has a couple of scuffs but nothing major! Im not sure about the neck/head joint, its very square, almost flat just above the nut and the carve up to the corners.

Now the possitives

the frets seem near perfect, no sharp edges! The neck, for me isnt too thin its closer to my dots, the pickups WOW! It plays beautifully! Its a nice weight seems lighter than my sheraton 2!

Ive spoken to the shop, they have another which there going to photo and email me in the morning. Im not completely sure the negs outweigh the possitives but I dont think i would have picked it up and bought it in a shop given the defects so its a tough decision because it really is a joy to play! I will try to add pics later!

1413909043[/url]' post='1580288']

Unless I am not reading right, a guy bought a 62RI Sheraton and made a Noel out of it? Is that what this is?

rct

I believe these were made a few years back, limited run of 1900+ by EpiphoneI see that they crop up occasionally but they are quite expensive when they do.

1413910002[/url]' post='1580292']

Well its arrived.....

Mixed feelings, ill start with the bad. The finish is about 90% there, paint around the f holes is quite bad, small scratch in the blue bottom left (not through to white) small crack im pretty sure is in the laquer at the fretboard/neck/nut joint, the bottom of the frequensator is quite badly tarnished near aged look, i can clearly feel the difference in height between the paint and binding on the neck and some of the paint and binding joints could be better (being super critical here) the case has a couple of scuffs but nothing major! Im not sure about the neck/head joint, its very square, almost flat just above the nut and the carve up to the corners.

Now the possitives

the frets seem near perfect, no sharp edges! The neck, for me isnt too thin its closer to my dots, the pickups WOW! It plays beautifully! Its a nice weight seems lighter than my sheraton 2!

Ive spoken to the shop, they have another which there going to photo and email me in the morning. Im not completely sure the negs outweigh the possitives but I dont think i would have picked it up and bought it in a shop given the defects so its a tough decision because it really is a joy to play! I will try to add pics later!

Hi Matt, sorry to hear about the negatives...perhaps the other one they have might be a better choice....it is quite a lot of money to put out for a guitar that is only 90% of your expectations.What shop were you dealing with?

I used guitarguitar, can't fault the service. Hopefully the pics of the other one are good and I can get it sorted. II really want this guitar but it is too much money to spend on something which isn't near perfect, the main reason for me wanting this is obviously the UJ and if it's not right I won't just put up with it, I could get two better finished epi's for how much this cost or even the gretsch I was considering in the first place! I hope these are isolated problems because I hadn't had any concerns with the Chinese finish before! I can't upload the pics off my phone or iPad, i may have to plug into the laptop at some point if I can't work it out.

I believe these were made a few years back, limited run of 1900+ by EpiphoneI see that they crop up occasionally but they are quite expensive when they do.

I remember them making the Noel. I don't think this is one of those. Somehow, as I read it, he bought a 62RI and made it into a Noel.

rct

1413909043[/url]' post='1580288']

rct

I guess I didn't read the ad correctly...Have to give it a re-read.LukeYup, just reread the ad...got fooled by this before...sone guy is doing repros of Noels and other 'tribute' guitars. I think I went to the website a few months back...they look like nicely crafted guitars but who knows?Nice catch, podnah!

1413925033[/url]' post='1580391']

I used guitarguitar, can't fault the service. Hopefully the pics of the other one are good and I can get it sorted. II really want this guitar but it is too much money to spend on something which isn't near perfect, the main reason for me wanting this is obviously the UJ and if it's not right I won't just put up with it, I could get two better finished epi's for how much this cost or even the gretsch I was considering in the first place! I hope these are isolated problems because I hadn't had any concerns with the Chinese finish before! I can't upload the pics off my phone or iPad, i may have to plug into the laptop at some point if I can't work it out.

Sorry Matt, You mentioned in a prior post where you purchased it thru...Wish you luck in sorting it out and Happy Birthday.Luke

Sorry Matt, You mentioned in a prior post where you purchased it thru...Wish you luck in sorting it out and Happy Birthday.Luke

Matt,

Sorry to hear about the negatives. On the other hand, the neck, from what you say, should be nice on the hands, and the tone, the tone!

I hope the ones that get through to the USA are better then what has been mentioned here.

Still, I could put up with the paint, but the frets, feel of the neck, weight, and tone are what I'm hoping are going to put me over the top with this guitar. I really like the paint job, but I understand that it is not an easy paint to apply. I'm sure they are getting rushed in China to get these out, and that probably has something to do with why they are not perfect.

Thanks for the reply, Matt, and happy birthday. :)

Well, an update. Sadly my judgement on guitarguitars customer service was wrong! The promised photos never appeared despite being told twice they had another guitar, after two more calls they discover theres no other guitar. Useless! I half expected the defects if im honest but to be lied to by the shop isnt on. Their solution is now a possible repair, i would guess replace the frequensator, or a partial refund or wait for a possible replacement. Ive seriously had enough of the whole UJ saga now, but ive waited too long to just give up on the first crap finish.

1414001939[/url]' post='1580798']

Well, an update. Sadly my judgement on guitarguitars customer service was wrong! The promised photos never appeared despite being told twice they had another guitar, after two more calls they discover theres no other guitar. Useless! I half expected the defects if im honest but to be lied to by the shop isnt on. Their solution is now a possible repair, i would guess replace the frequensator, or a partial refund or wait for a possible replacement. Ive seriously had enough of the whole UJ saga now, but ive waited too long to just give up on the first crap finish.

You have every right to be angry as well as frustrated..they don't need to be pulling your leg and lying to you about another guitar that isnt available...sounds like they are giving you the slow death....This whole thing sounds like a sordid mess where no one wants to tell the real story.Today I got my monthly 'doublespeak' from Sweetwater....The rep says he has heard of no negatives regading the guitar, so he can't make comment. bullsh*t! He cannot give any type of info as to when they will get their allotment of orders...again 'small Batches' now over the next 3 months? What happened to the Sept-oct 31 promised date?He also said he has no idea what batch my order will be in...I told him I assumed it would be in the order of which the orders were received at Sweetwater....still doubletalk and thanks for my patience...etc.This whole thing sounds like a big dark silly conspiracy...I don't mind the wait, really...I not waiting for an organ transplant, its just a guitar...Just wondering why all any any of these a-holes cant just be honest?Sorry for the rant.Peace, Luke.

That is really sweet - the price may be high but if the paint job is very nicely executed it may not be that far off.

What a looker in any case:

original.jpg

You have every right to be angry as well as frustrated..they don't need to be pulling your leg and lying to you about another guitar that isnt available...sounds like they are giving you the slow death....This whole thing sounds like a sordid mess where no one wants to tell the real story.Today I got my monthly 'doublespeak' from Sweetwater....The rep says he has heard of no negatives regading the guitar, so he can't make comment. bullsh*t! He cannot give any type of info as to when they will get their allotment of orders...again 'small Batches' now over the next 3 months? What happened to the Sept-oct 31 promised date?He also said he has no idea what batch my order will be in...I told him I assumed it would be in the order of which the orders were received at Sweetwater....still doubletalk and thanks for my patience...etc.This whole thing sounds like a big dark silly conspiracy...I don't mind the wait, really...I not waiting for an organ transplant, its just a guitar...Just wondering why all any any of these a-holes cant just be honest?Sorry for the rant.Peace, Luke.

Hopefully with the extra checks epi do in the USA, all the problems were having won't be there for you but it would be interesting what they would do if they were all shabby! There's quite a few places that now have them 'in stock' in the UK! Maybe a refund and look elsewhere is the way I should go...

Epiphone really are letting people down so far with this one, a long wait is bad enough but to get crap is an insult to customers.

Well its arrived.....

Now the possitives

I'm sorry to hear about the condition of the UJ order. Most all of my Epiphones are not perfect around the f holes but certainly not at all bad.

It seems that your UJ's F hole paint work is probably bad enough that it's worth mentioning. As far as the worn look of the Frequensator that is not acceptable for a new guitar especially at that price point.

I got a "2nd" 62 Sheraton not too long ago and did an intentional full worn job on it and even routed for full size Humbuckers.

original.jpg

But to receive a new guitar with worn parts is crazy unless it was a relic or the like.???????

Having said all that - I wish I had a UJ - They look amazing - just hope this is a fluke and not the standard for one of these limited addition Epi's.

I'm sorry to hear about the condition of the UJ order. Most all of my Epiphones are not perfect around the f holes but certainly not at all bad.

It seems that your UJ's F hole paint work is probably bad enough that it's worth mentioning. As far as the worn look of the Frequensator that is not acceptable for a new guitar especially at that price point.

I got a "2nd" 62 Sheraton not too long ago and did an intentional full worn job on it and even routed for full size Humbuckers.

original.jpg

But to receive a new guitar with worn parts is crazy unless it was a relic or the like.???????

Having said all that - I wish I had a UJ - They look amazing - just hope this is a fluke and not the standard for one of these limited addition Epi's.

I was gutted to have missed the 62/50 and the only way I could get a second is to ship from the US which I don't really fancy, when they become available here the used price can be high, I've got 4 other semis and no major problems with f holes, my Sherri 2 is has the best because they are bound but even the black paint on my dot studio is near perfect! I expected a lot more for the money! The frequensator has got worse over night, it is now 70% rusty!

I was gutted to have missed the 62/50 and the only way I could get a second is to ship from the US which I don't really fancy, when they become available here the used price can be high, I've got 4 other semis and no major problems with f holes, my Sherri 2 is has the best because they are bound but even the black paint on my dot studio is near perfect! I expected a lot more for the money! The frequensator has got worse over night, it is now 70% rusty!

You could get the frequensator replated at a plating shop but the whole thing with the Gold hardware is it wears off pretty fast if you're playing regularily.

Plus some people's chemistry seems to be less forgiving than others when it comes to Gold hardware.

You could always put a Bigsby on it like I did. I did keep my Dot (In my Avatar) a stoptail. That guitar is my Favorite.

I bet the UJ Sherry's gold hardware will wear pretty fast too.

I've been following the Union Jack saga here for the past few months, and have been looking from time to time on Sweetwater's site for the Union Jack. As expected, it is always on preorder. The string of delays makes me wonder if they wish they had never offered the model in the first place.

1414010979[/url]' post='1580868']

I've been following the Union Jack saga here for the past few months, and have been looking from time to time on Sweetwater's site for the Union Jack. As expected, it is always on preorder. The string of delays makes me wonder if they wish they had never offered the model in the first place.

Ditto with Musicians Friend.Frustration abounds.

I'm just off the phone with Dawsons UK - mine is being delivered tomorrow! [biggrin]

I asked if they could give it a once over before shipping it but unfortunately as they are in their warehouse they can't, but if there are any problems I've to let them know.

I'm just off the phone with Dawsons UK - mine is being delivered tomorrow! [biggrin]

I asked if they could give it a once over before shipping it but unfortunately as they are in their warehouse they can't, but if there are any problems I've to let them know.

Good luck! Hope your experience is better than mine!

If it says on their site that they check them before dispatch then they should.

Thats part of the problem im having with guitarguitar, its number 1 on their '5 star promise' to send you a 'perfect guitar'. If i had been told of the faults i wouldnt have had it, got a quick refund and got another as quite a few places now have stock, but their saying up to two weeks for a refund and they might all be gone by then!

Good luck! Hope your experience is better than mine!

If it says on their site that they check them before dispatch then they should.

Thats part of the problem im having with guitarguitar, its number 1 on their '5 star promise' to send you a 'perfect guitar'. If i had been told of the faults i wouldnt have had it, got a quick refund and got another as quite a few places now have stock, but their saying up to two weeks for a refund and they might all be gone by then!

Fingers crossed Matt. I let them know several people have been unhappy with these so far and that if it’s less than perfect it’s going back. They’re getting double the allocation they were originally meant to so hopefully mine is a good one.

Wow everyone! I am not believing what I am reading here. DAMN! After careful consideration, and from reading all the remarks, if I get mine (sometime, when they come in, IF they finally come in), and it has similar problems, I have decided to keep it, if what I deem most important is satisfactory, i.e., the neck profile and alignment, frets, weight, tone, playability.

From Epiphone, I don't ever expect gold parts to hold up. Hell, they barely hold up from other companies, unless the plating is heavily applied. The scratches and poor "F" hole trim in the painting is not as important to me as how the guitar performs and feels. From reading everything, I believe that the workers at Epiphone China are being pushed to get the work out, and the extra time it might take to do a perfect job is not part of Epiphone's agenda, it seems, which of course, is very disappointing to me, as well as all of you.

The reason for my decision is because I really DAMN WELL WANT THIS GUITAR! ARGGG! While it would be nice if it came in in perfect order, I plan to use it, and enjoy it. I am too old to "think" that it may be worth that much more then we are paying for it in years to come. I would rather play it, enjoy it for what it is, and let the person who winds up with it after me decide what he/she wants to do with it.

If the gold on the Frequensator gets that bad in short order, I might have it replated, but only if it is really available to do at a reasonable price. If it is not, my choices become leave it as is, or purchase a replacement tailpiece.

As for Sweetwater, I really don't expect any music retailer to have all the juice on everything they carry. I have been lied too so often by music store employees (not Sweetwater, so far)over time, that I find it better to search out answers to questions I have on my own, much as we do here by sharing our info with each other.

By now, I think, at least in the back of our collective minds that "we ain't gettin' no souped up fancy QC on this guitar", based on the results available so far. But, we do hope that USA QC is better then what we are seeing and hearing so far. The bottom line will be that Epiphone USA will see the guitars as they come in and make a decision as to whether they feel China could have done a better job, or should they just let this one slide by and "better luck next time".

I am hoping for the best here, but my practical side says to look to get average, or less, and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out better.

After several convetsations with the sales manager and a regional director, the solution is that they have another that has been reserved at my closest store whitch is apparently perfect. They have offered me this as a replacement and they will get mine repaired before passing on to some unsuspecting bugger! Shocking customer services! I will go and look at the other one on saturday!

I have no problem with gold hardware tarnishing however i refuse to pay top money for already tarnished. Ive had my sherri 2 since 04 and the gold is still perfect, its well used but well looked after!

1414071664[/url]' post='1581113']

After several convetsations with the sales manager and a regional director, the solution is that they have another that has been reserved at my closest store whitch is apparently perfect. They have offered me this as a replacement and they will get mine repaired before passing on to some unsuspecting bugger! Shocking customer services! I will go and look at the other one on saturday!

I have no problem with gold hardware tarnishing however i refuse to pay top money for already tarnished. Ive had my sherri 2 since 04 and the gold is still perfect, its well used but well looked after!

Hey that is great news.!.hope it all works out...I feel that your 'conversations' really aired your frustrations and the fact you have been a repeat customer probablymade them do right by you. Good Luck!Luke

Archived