Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton waiting thread

sdgails

1414068263[/url]' post='1581096']

Wow everyone! I am not believing what I am reading here. DAMN! After careful consideration, and from reading all the remarks, if I get mine (sometime, when they come in, IF they finally come in), and it has similar problems, I have decided to keep it, if what I deem most important is satisfactory, i.e., the neck profile and alignment, frets, weight, tone, playability.

From Epiphone, I don't ever expect gold parts to hold up. Hell, they barely hold up from other companies, unless the plating is heavily applied. The scratches and poor "F" hole trim in the painting is not as important to me as how the guitar performs and feels. From reading everything, I believe that the workers at Epiphone China are being pushed to get the work out, and the extra time it might take to do a perfect job is not part of Epiphone's agenda, it seems, which of course, is very disappointing to me, as well as all of you.

The reason for my decision is because I really DAMN WELL WANT THIS GUITAR! ARGGG! While it would be nice if it came in in perfect order, I plan to use it, and enjoy it. I am too old to "think" that it may be worth that much more then we are paying for it in years to come. I would rather play it, enjoy it for what it is, and let the person who winds up with it after me decide what he/she wants to do with it.

If the gold on the Frequensator gets that bad in short order, I might have it replated, but only if it is really available to do at a reasonable price. If it is not, my choices become leave it as is, or purchase a replacement tailpiece.

As for Sweetwater, I really don't expect any music retailer to have all the juice on everything they carry. I have been lied too so often by music store employees (not Sweetwater, so far)over time, that I find it better to search out answers to questions I have on my own, much as we do here by sharing our info with each other.

By now, I think, at least in the back of our collective minds that "we ain't gettin' no souped up fancy QC on this guitar", based on the results available so far. But, we do hope that USA QC is better then what we are seeing and hearing so far. The bottom line will be that Epiphone USA will see the guitars as they come in and make a decision as to whether they feel China could have done a better job, or should they just let this one slide by and "better luck next time".

I am hoping for the best here, but my practical side says to look to get average, or less, and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out better.

I agree with all that you said but the Rep at Sweetwater saying that he has heard of no negatives regarding the UJ is a bit hard to swallow....maybe I am just leery by nature as I spent 26 years as a Senior County Criminal Investigator but I might be wrong....but with the press the UJ is getting here and the Epiphone site I am wondering just how much in the dark he could be about this?I'm resigning myself to another 3 month wait per what Sweetwater told me....Anyway guys, please keep posting and keep us informed on your new arrivals!Peace Luke

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read on the product page of someone asking about black fingers after playing, i have had this a bit, it seems to be something on the f/b. I will say that the f/b feels like no other epi ive played, real smooth and not at all sticky, kind of glass like! I think i can see its rosewood or something epi are calling rose but its almost ebony in feel and look, theres just a few lighter places showing the grain and there are a few whiteish lines from some sort of finishing compound on it! Its one of the first epis ive seen that i personaly dont think needs a f/b scrape! It is definately something i will look for on the next one!

I just read on the product page of someone asking about black fingers after playing, i have had this a bit, it seems to be something on the f/b. I will say that the f/b feels like no other epi ive played, real smooth and not at all sticky, kind of glass like! I think i can see its rosewood or something epi are calling rose but its almost ebony in feel and look, theres just a few lighter places showing the grain and there are a few whiteish lines from some sort of finishing compound on it! Its one of the first epis ive seen that i personaly dont think needs a f/b scrape! It is definately something i will look for on the next one!

Rosewood, or whatever wood they call rosewood, can vary from almost bright orange to dark dark reddish. The blanks that aren't dark enough are often dyed. If the dye isn't dried and sealed well it will come off on the fingers, along with the usual string discoloration.

rct

Matt4356,

I hope these upper level types who gave you the news about a perfect UJ being reserved for you aren't B.S.ing you. I hope you do get a perfect one.

I know that some pieces are bound to come in in better order then others, but so far the bad ones appear to be the dominant ones. Let us all hope that this is just a small bump and not a major QC issue henceforth.

As for the black fingers from fretboard dye coming off on the finger tips, I have seen that with Martin guitars where they died the fretboard black to get a consistant looking ebony color without streaks. Gibson, and a few other companies also have done this. It is not an uncommon practice, and has been going on as long as I can remember. They are trying, as was mentioned, to get a consistant look to the fretboard, but even if the fretboard is allowed to cure for a sufficient amount of time, if the player has a certain type of finger sweat, it eats right through the dye, and the fretboard bleeds.

If the rest of the guitar was o.k., I wouldn't mind what color the fretboard was. However, I would be REALLY surprised if the fretboard was what we all know as rosewood. It may be in the rosewood family, but then again at this price, it may not be. Who knows for sure?! One good possibility however is that as India is so close to China, and India exports rosewood, we may get lucky. It just won't be the higher grade of wood exported for Gibsons.

I agree with all that you said but the Rep at Sweetwater saying that he has heard of no negatives regarding the UJ is a bit hard to swallow....maybe I am just leery by nature as I spent 26 years as a Senior County Criminal Investigator but I might be wrong....but with the press the UJ is getting here and the Epiphone site I am wondering just how much in the dark he could be about this?I'm resigning myself to another 3 month wait per what Sweetwater told me....Anyway guys, please keep posting and keep us informed on your new arrivals!Peace Luke

Luke,

I know what you mean. I have not asked my Sweetwater rep about the due date. When I saw MF, American Musical and Zzounds put back the receiving date for the UJ, I just knew Sweetwater would be in the same position. I don't know how many of these they actually ordered, but probably not as many as MF or one of the other big box chain stores did.

I am curious as to how Sweetwater does their "55 point inspection" prior to sending out a guitar. That should be an interesting situation to keep an eye on, based on the early returns and the condition the UJ's have been being received.

1414079631[/url]' post='1581161']

Luke,

I know what you mean. I have not asked my Sweetwater rep about the due date. When I saw MF, American Musical and Zzounds put back the receiving date for the UJ, I just knew Sweetwater would be in the same position. I don't know how many of these they actually ordered, but probably not as many as MF or one of the other big box chain stores did.

I am curious as to how Sweetwater does their "55 point inspection" prior to sending out a guitar. That should be an interesting situation to keep an eye on, based on the early returns and the condition the UJ's have been being received.

Oh yeah, dang...I left out the comment that the Sweetwater guy made about that....Something to the Effect 'with our 55 point QC inspection I can guarantee you a guitar you will be more than satisfied with.'

I saved that email and will hold them to that promise. msp_smile.gifPS I also told the Sweetwater guy when he asked me how I heard of them, I replied I usaully buy my gear from MF and I am good for at least one or two 1,000 purchase per annum and my further dealings with them will hinge on this particular transaction.I added that I realize I am not a big spender per se but I am certainly a consistent buyer. :-)

Rosewood, or whatever wood they call rosewood, can vary from almost bright orange to dark dark reddish. The blanks that aren't dark enough are often dyed. If the dye isn't dried and sealed well it will come off on the fingers, along with the usual string discoloration.

rct

Whatever it is and whatever theyve done, its the best part on the guitar!

Oh yeah, dang...I left out the comment that the Sweetwater guy made about that....Something to the Effect 'with our 55 point QC inspection I can guarantee you a guitar you will be more than satisfied with.'

I saved that email and will hold them to that promise. msp_smile.gifPS I also told the Sweetwater guy when he asked me how I heard of them, I replied I usaully buy my gear from MF and I am good for at least one or two 1,000 purchase per annum and my further dealings with them will hinge on this particular transaction.I added that I realize I am not a big spender per se but I am certainly a consistent buyer. :-)

I have delt with Sweetwater for about 3+ years after dealing with the other chain stores as well, and some high end dealers. Thankfully I do a lot of my major purchasing direct with the companies I am affiliated with, but when I need something like the UJ, wah's, or other foot toys, I use Sweetwater. In their defense, I must say that I have been treated very well and they have honored everything that I bought.

I actually just received from them last week, the Vox Union Jack wah. I have a RI Clyde McCoy Vox wah that I use on my board, but I couldn't resist getting the UJ version.

There is a guitar strap of leather made into a union jack theme that is really exquisite, but at $250, I'll have to get the UJ Epi first and be sure that I will keep it before buying that specific strap.

Check this out...

http://www.ethoscustombrands.com/union-jack-guitar-strap/

1414082209[/url]' post='1581174']

I have delt with Sweetwater for about 3+ years after dealing with the other chain stores as well, and some high end dealers. Thankfully I do a lot of my major purchasing direct with the companies I am affiliated with, but when I need something like the UJ, wah's, or other foot toys, I use Sweetwater. In their defense, I must say that I have been treated very well and they have honored everything that I bought.

I actually just received from them last week, the Vox Union Jack wah. I have a RI Clyde McCoy Vox wah that I use on my board, but I couldn't resist getting the UJ version.

There is a guitar strap of leather made into a union jack theme that is really exquisite, but at $250, I'll have to get the UJ Epi first and be sure that I will keep it before buying that specific strap.

Check this out...

http://www.ethoscust...k-guitar-strap/

Na-hice!I have a UJ strap but no where as 'purty' as that one.Thanks for the lowdown on your dealings w/sweetwater.

After carefully looking at these 2 UJ's I now see what the difference is. The 2014 Official UJ ($899)has the 1996 USA Sheraton headstock and fingerboard inlay goes all the way up the neck.

Where as the Ebay UJ ($2400)is actually a 62' RI Sheraton painted like a UJ with the early style headstock and the fretboard inlay only goes to the 15th fret.

I'm sure the Custom Paint job wasn't cheap(the paint even goes into the "f" holes) If you really like the earlier Headstock, and want a one off I guess the $2400 US dallor isn't too far off.

The Official 2014 UJ at $899 (with waiting list.....) is certainly easiler on the wallet.

157950099.jpg

157932686.jpg

I remember seeing a website for the guy(s) who made this UJ last year sometime...they also made a few other 'tribute' guitars....andy Summers tele, neil youngs black, Glenn Freys black Lp etc....Another one being sold on Reverb...sold by 'the Painted Player' UK based .Same price USD 2500....make offer...no case included if you don't pay asking price.Check out their website www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk

I know that some of you checked out the Ethos strap site I found with the leather Union Jack strap for the UJ guitar.

I got a shell pink tele in the mail from Neville Guitars Thursday evening and was checking out various straps on line which might fit the color of my tele.

I buy new straps for each guitar I own, but this color is really difficult to find.

I came across this site with Henry Heller straps. This is a company I had no previous knowledge of, and the straps were really inexpensive and the color choices were way beyond any other straps company's offerings I have yet found. They have cloth, leather and suede offerings available, so I thought you might want to check them out. Enjoy. :)

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/henry-heller-straps.html

I know that some of you checked out the Ethos strap site I found with the leather Union Jack strap for the UJ guitar.

I got a shell pink tele in the mail from Neville Guitars Thursday evening and was checking out various straps on line which might fit the color of my tele.

I buy new straps for each guitar I own, but this color is really difficult to find.

I came across this site with Henry Heller straps. This is a company I had no previous knowledge of, and the straps were really inexpensive and the color choices were way beyond any other straps company's offerings I have yet found. They have cloth, leather and suede offerings available, so I thought you might want to check them out. Enjoy. :)

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/henry-heller-straps.html

Great link. That's what I call some variety in Strap choices.

Having had the guitar a couple of weeks now I can definitely say..... I love it, for the very minor spoils, I.e the f holes finish..... And ..... Erm that's it I think on mine??!!!!

It plays really nice, the feel of the neck is amazing, nice and slim, smooth, feels a bit like my epi 60's tribute LP, it's sits nicely when playing seated, nice weight and feel, tonally it sounds really nice to my ears, through a Marshall MG 250dfx amp, understand I haven't been playing that long so others will need to do the playing side of it, but to me it's really easy to play,I still have my first guitar an epi LP standard, and I find that unplayable now due to the thick neck but this is so much easier, I think I'm definitely suited to slim necks.....

I have a lesson later tonight so I'll be taking it to that, I'll see what my teacher has to say and report back. 😊

Got the replacement this morning! Perfect! No problems with f hole paint or rust on this one ! Plays and feels just as nice too, still can't get over how good the f/b feels and looks. In the right light you can see your fingers reflected in it but it's not at all sticky like most other new episode I've had! Love it! Worth the wait, thanks in the end epiphone!

What's the best way to upload pics? It says my files are too big?

Got the replacement this morning! Perfect! No problems with f hole paint or rust on this one ! Plays and feels just as nice too, still can't get over how good the f/b feels and looks. In the right light you can see your fingers reflected in it but it's not at all sticky like most other new episode I've had! Love it! Worth the wait, thanks in the end epiphone!

Glad to hear it's all sorted, I use photobucket to put pictures on here, easy enough to do.

That's great news.

I use Corel Draw to downsize and modify photos. But you have to have the program on your computer.

You can also usually change the settings on the camera so it doesn't take such a large photo which is a big file.

I glad it worked out.

testing pics?

IMG_2077_zpsc72437b4.jpg

Wow! Congradulations Matt! It's good to hear that they are indeed able to get it right. Wonderful pictures! I could easily live with the workmanship around the "F" hole. Noone, or very few will ever be so close as to scrutinize everything you have filmed. Enjoy that wonderful guitar!

Archived