Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Premium

Dale6122jr

Hello Everyone,

New member here with my recent purchase of a Epi ES-175 Premium. I opted for the natural, and am really enjoying it. I particularly like the lacquer finish (satin, not glossy) and Gibson hardware. Plays and sounds terrific (not that great unplugged but once amped, the '57 Classics give it a wonderful jazzbox tone).

Dale

Thanks, Thomse and Jeff! Yep, it's made in Korea. They did a nice job and setup, too. Frets are nicely done, neck feels great, and the electronics all work fine. (I did find the input jack a little loose, but that was a quick fix.)

Just started a beginning jazz guitar class and plan to have my instructor give it a try tonight. She's really quite good, so I'll be interested in her feedback.

Dale

Thanks, Thomse and Jeff! Yep, it's made in Korea. They did a nice job and setup, too. Frets are nicely done, neck feels great, and the electronics all work fine. (I did find the input jack a little loose, but that was a quick fix.)

Just started a beginning jazz guitar class and plan to have my instructor give it a try tonight. She's really quite good, so I'll be interested in her feedback.

Dale

Epiphone builds some great guitars

Epiphone builds some great guitars

Yes they do, and that 175 is a beauty! I have a lot of guitars, and about one third are Epi's and frankly, I like some of them more than my Gibby's Carvin's Fender's, et al. So yeah, Epi makes some great guitars!

Very nice! I had a Taylor 415 Jumbo that had the satin on the back and sides. It looked great but she slipped and slid easy. The smaller size of yours may make it easier to handle. Enjoy it!

I was amazed when I first played a Riviera in the mid-60s. I had a Gibson ES-335 at the time (my first serious guitar) and had played a few other name brands (Gretsch and Rickenbacker), but the Riviera had all 3 beat in fit and finish. I've never looked at an Epiphone the same since, and bought my Texan soon after.

I spent a couple hours with a Natural 175 Premium back in August at a GC out in PA. I really wanted to dislike it, but loved it, just not my color. Went home and ordered a black one, got Labor Day 15% off it and the case for it. Love that thing. It's a jazz box, and I don't do jazz at all. Put some flatwounds on it and found some amp settings that just. scream. Seriously good sounding guitar. I've done nothing to it but put straplocks on it. Since 1971 only my second Epiphone but MAN it's a beaut!

rct

Well, the tags came off last night - had my instructor try it out and she played a bebop version of "Take the A Train" that would have made Joe Pass proud. The sound was just incredible! (If I had any sense, I would have recorded it.) In any event, she agreed this baby's a keeper.

Now, back to work on my arpeggios and scales... By the way, if anyone has some recommendations for keeping the electronics from tarnishing, I welcome your input. (I do wipe it down after each use with a micro-fiber cloth. Also read the thread on this, but didn't see a consensus.) I've heard of using nail polish, car wax and Brasso, though I would think Brasso might possibly harm the finish (which appears to be platinum).

Thanks, all

Dale

Well, the tags came off last night - had my instructor try it out and she played a bebop version of "Take the A Train" that would have made Joe Pass proud. The sound was just incredible! (If I had any sense, I would have recorded it.) In any event, she agreed this baby's a keeper.

Now, back to work on my arpeggios and scales... By the way, if anyone has some recommendations for keeping the electronics from tarnishing, I welcome your input. (I do wipe it down after each use with a micro-fiber cloth. Also read the thread on this, but didn't see a consensus.) I've heard of using nail polish, car wax and Brasso, though I would think Brasso might possibly harm the finish (which appears to be platinum).

Thanks, all

Dale

Just wipe it down with some "cleaner" that is made for "wiping down" your guitar. The stuff I use (from Gibson) looks like milk. Liquid guitar cleaner stuff comes in a "spray" plastic bottle. Others besides Gibson make a similar product. Don't forget to apply some fret board conditioner oil stuff too, which Gibson also manufacturesmsp_thumbup.gif Apply an application of that per the instructions and it will make the neck even slicker, faster and seemingly easier to playmsp_thumbup.gif. Obtain a few polishing cloths (Fender makes nice ones). Now I want a ES 175...lol, nice guitar, keep up the good work, that beautiful guitar should last a lifetime msp_thumbup.gif

Oh, by the way, no matter what you do...any amount of playtime will wear the plating off. There really is no way to "save" it (the plating on the metal components)unsure.gif Don't worry about it, a nicely worn finish and a bit of plating wear shows the guitar was actually played, and not set aside to collect dust...Don't go putting some kind of "stuff" on your guitar to try to prolong the plating, you'll just gunk up your nice instrument. dig it

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Thanks for the tip, Crust! Bummer to hear about not being able to preserve the plating, but I'll pick up a bottle of the Gibson polish and some cloths tomorrow. You really should check out the guitar, though - with a lacquer finish and the Gibson pickups, I'm surprised I'm not reading more about it.

Best,

Dale

Thanks, all

Dale

Good to hear that you have a keeper there. I welcome the chance to let other people play my guitars. It's really a great way to hear the character of them.

Just wipe it down with some "cleaner" that is made for "wiping down" your guitar. The stuff I use (from Gibson) looks like milk. Liquid guitar cleaner stuff comes in a "spray" plastic bottle. Others besides Gibson make a similar product. Don't forget to apply some fret board conditioner oil stuff too, which Gibson also manufacturesmsp_thumbup.gif Apply an application of that per the instructions and it will make the neck even slicker, faster and seemingly easier to playmsp_thumbup.gif. Obtain a few polishing cloths (Fender makes nice ones). Now I want a ES 175...lol, nice guitar, keep up the good work, that beautiful guitar should last a lifetime msp_thumbup.gif

Oh, by the way, no matter what you do...any amount of playtime will wear the plating off. There really is no way to "save" it (the plating on the metal components)unsure.gif Don't worry about it, a nicely worn finish and a bit of plating wear shows the guitar was actually played, and not set aside to collect dust...Don't go putting some kind of "stuff" on your guitar to try to prolong the plating, you'll just gunk up your nice instrument. dig it

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

^^ Sage advice right there! ^^

I have been using the same for over 20 years now. It's called Dr. Ducks Axe Wax

There was a lively discussion going on over at the Gibson forum about the 'right' cleaner for their expensive guitars and it got me to searching the 'net on the opinions there.

The more research I did the more I was confident that I had found a really great product. There are many high end builders that advocate using it as well as Martin Guitar. I couldn't find one derogatory remark about Dr. Ducks. I use it on all my guitars and my clarinets too. I am just ready to buy a second bottle after 20 years of using it! You only need a drop of the stuff to get the job done.

My new Epiphone did have a very dry fret board and I was using it on every string change for this year so I have been going through it much faster than I would otherwise...

Good luck with that beautiful guitar you have there!

jv

Yep - just really looking for something to protect the metal from tarnishing.

I wouldn't worry about it to much i have some epiphones that are 8 to 10 years old no tarnish. My 2010 ES175 looks great . keep your guitar polished.

I had a '98 Emperor that I absolutely babied. The gold came off the tuners and the end of the tailpiece very quickly. The floating pup always looked new (made by a different company? [confused]) I suspect that the fuzzy interior of the case did the tailpiece in as I never touched that part of the guitar and the wear pattern looked like the pattern of the fuzz. Just something to consider. Best of luck with it. That looks like a nice, simple, straight-foward guitar. [biggrin]

Thanks, Sleeko!

Sorry to hear about your case taking the gold plating off (and here I've been keeping mine in the case in an effort to protect it)! [crying] By the way, that's a nice Epi in your photo! (I prefer the "beanstalk" headstock.) [thumbup]

My Elitist Broadway. Thanks very much as I do enjoy it. Yes, it was a bit of a head scratcher, but mystery solved. The case lining on the Elitist is less fuzzy and a bit softer. I suspect the plating on these is more hardy as well as I've had no problems so far. [thumbup]

image_zps4b5126ce.jpg

Ah - An Elitist Broadway! [thumbup] Wanted one or possibly a Byrdland for the longest time, only to find them out of production (or at least not available). Not sure why they took them off the market (possibly cutting into Gibson models market share?)

You've got a beauty that I think will only increase in value - I'd hold on to that! (I thought the ES-175 Premium might have been a move by Gibson to upgrade the model but perhaps not to the extent they did with the Elitist.)

Dale

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to share my concerns with the hardware tarnishing on my new Epi ES-175 Premium - it already started on the bridge and tailpiece, despite wiping it down each time with a microfiber cloth. Finally got up the nerve to try some Simichrome that a fellow student and friend gave me - worked like a charm! [thumbup]

Archived