Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar coming up

SteveFord

It's funny how life works: on Columbus Day I went out to see the 2015 Gibson electrics even though I was planning on picking up a used 2006 Firebird VII from a private party.

My wife pulled me into the acoustic section and I happened to pick up a new Martin HD-28 which was just head and shoulders above everything else in the room.

It looks like it's coming to live with me soon.

I guess worse things could happen.

Lol,, you know Drog,,

I was going to clarify that after I wrote it but thought nah..

The interpretation of it might be more interesting..

Ha.

Good catch.

I do have a wife,, but mine would steer me away from the acoustic room,, not in it.

Congrats on picking up what is probably the most revered and lusted after acoustic guitar ever made.Every time Marty Stuart has played here I stuck around after the show to chat with him and Kenny and get a couple of guitars autographed.I remarked on the fabulous sounds that they were getting from their D-28s and said that I dreamed of having one some day,to which he replied:"Everybody should own a Martin." I agree with that wholeheartedly.

It only took 40 years of thinking about owning a Martin to actually pull the trigger. You can't rush these things.

Guitar Center is having a 15% off gear sale next month, I believe, and they were nice enough to apply the discount to this guitar a bit early. They've always been really good to me.

I put a deposit down over the phone and I'll run down this weekend and give it the old once over to make sure it didn't get all beat up by a belt buckle or something.

I must be excited, I woke up at 4 AM thinking about this guitar.

It's funny how life works: on Columbus Day I went out to see the 2015 Gibson electrics even though I was planning on picking up a used 2006 Firebird VII from a private party.

My wife pulled me into the acoustic section and I happened to pick up a new Martin HD-28 which was just head and shoulders above everything else in the room.

Ive owned 3 Martins and tried several of the under 1k ones. To be honest, not impressed with Martins cheapies, i sold one 2 days after it arrived. The baby taylors come with ebony and bone nut (some epiphones too) and the tone was great. Now, if i had my choice between a martin or taylor in 1k-2k range id take martin all day, but under 1k the Martins i played werent overly impressive and were poor examples of the martin quality. I dont say this because i dislike martin, its the exact opposite,i say this because the real martins 1k and over is what a real martin is. They should call those little martins another brand name imo they arent martin.

Congrats on your 28, they are wonderful and im jealous and hope the little lady loves whatever you get her.

I can see holding onto the BB and D-28 and letting other ones come and go. I can't speak for the J45 as I'm not sure if they had one there but the Gibsons I did try all felt like somebody had just eaten their lunch and then tried out all of the guitars without washing their hands. It wouldn't surprise me.

As for the cheapie Martins, I've heard similar sentiments from others and I'm sure it's true but Lynda knows what she likes so who am I to argue? She likes her Guild because of the sunburst pattern and the colorful strap I picked out so that's where she's coming from. She likes it, I like it.

I can see holding onto the BB and D-28 and letting other ones come and go. I can't speak for the J45 as I'm not sure if they had one there but the Gibsons I did try all felt like somebody had just eaten their lunch and then tried out all of the guitars without washing their hands. It wouldn't surprise me.

As for the cheapie Martins, I've heard similar sentiments from others and I'm sure it's true but Lynda knows what she likes so who am I to argue? She likes her Guild because of the sunburst pattern and the colorful strap I picked out so that's where she's coming from. She likes it, I like it.

When i chose my new acoustic i was torn between j15 and j35, i liked both for different reasons but then my woman stepped in and said she liked the look of the 15 much more and i should buy that. So i got what she liked and i guess what they say about Happy wife Happy life is true isnt it? lol...

It's nice you guys have something to do together..or at least she shows some interest in what your doing... [thumbup]

She's my groupie so I am very lucky.

At dinner we were doing the how'd your day go thing and she mentioned that some woman she was talking to was aghast that I was buying a $3000 guitar (the price somehow got bumped up) and the other woman evil old bag went, "You mean you let him???"

Lynda replied with, "At least it wasn't the $5000 one which I handed him!" which made us both laugh.

We've been together, on and off, for close to 10 years now and while we've had our ups and downs it has turned out to be a good marriage. She likes motorcycle riding and boats and not catching fish and concerts and guitars and my tortoises (not to keen on the monitors and snakes, though) and tolerates giant stereo stuff taking over everything so I guess I should keep her.

I have to, she really keeps an eye on me because I tend to get into mischief. Here's the old girl giving me the look:

lynda_zps99cebbac.jpg

DO I KNOW YOU OR WHAT?

I take back all of the nice things I said about my "local" Guitar Center as I went back today to give that HD-28 a real good once over before I gave them another $1700 and the back of it was scratched all to hell from the locals beating on it with their belt buckles and whatnot - what a surprise.

I told them that this wasn't going to work and they said that it would buff right out (it didn't) and then that's what the guitar would look like that after I played it a couple of times (it wouldn't).

I said I'm here to buy a new guitar, do you have any others and they said sure, there's 6 in the warehouse but I'd need to pay in full before they'd do it and then I could come back next week.

I got so mad I got my deposit back and just bought a used one for $1800. I'll put the price differential towards my next purchase, an older Firebird VII.

I take back all of the nice things I said about my "local" Guitar Center as I went back today to give that HD-28 a real good once over before I gave them another $1700 and the back of it was scratched all to hell from the locals beating on it with their belt buckles and whatnot - what a surprise.

I told them that this wasn't going to work and they said that it would buff right out (it didn't) and then that's what the guitar would look like that after I played it a couple of times (it wouldn't).

I said I'm here to buy a new guitar, do you have any others and they said sure, there's 6 in the warehouse but I'd need to pay in full before they'd do it and then I could come back next week.

I got so mad I got my deposit back and just bought a used one for $1800. I'll put the price differential towards my next purchase, an older Firebird VII.

Wow I can't believe they were that stupid..Oh well did you get a used d-28? and what model Martin does your wife want? When you say a cheapie I am not sure if you are talking about the x models or little Martins...I have a 00015M that I really like.

Good luck with the new one

Yes, I bought a used HD-28. These big chain stores don't care if they keep you as a customer.

I'm honestly unsure about which cheapie Martin to get for the wife but I'm told that some of them have formica sides which are not a good thing a the tops shift around and crack which would not make me happy.

Lynda does not know how to play so spending a grand or so on a guitar which may never be used doesn't make much sense.

Yes, I bought a used HD-28. These big chain stores don't care if they keep you as a customer.

I'm honestly unsure about which cheapie Martin to get for the wife but I'm told that some of them have formica sides which are not a good thing a the tops shift around and crack which would not make me happy.

Lynda does not know how to play so spending a grand or so on a guitar which may never be used doesn't make much sense.

Maybe you should take her to the store, let her try a few brands and see what she likes? Or does she just want you to be the man and pick it out? lol..

Archived