Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees

rocketman

If they put all the people in that everyone agrees should be in, it would have been over ten, 12 years ago. It cost way too much money to not have some way to just keep on keepin on. So they pick a bunch, put in a few that should be, the rest are filler, have a party, a teevee show, make a video of the pathetic "jam" at the end, and start it all over again for next year. It's a pretty good job running that thing, I don't understand how people don't understand that that's all they're doing, keeping their jobs!

rct

I agree that part of the problem is that they go way overboard trying to make money off the whole process with the dvd's of the party etc..but I am also one who believes that they should be more selective and limit the number that go in in any given year...I don't think they should have large classes of induction..problem is though I do not think the money is there to sustain the whole thing if they do not do something else to subsidise the museum itself....maybe they could but they won't try anything lese since they are more interested in making it a cash cow for themselves...

We stopped in CleveTown in 2003 for a couple days. I was stoked to see it. We were finishing up a massive 6 week drive around the western national parks, our first time doing that, and we threw in a couple days to see the Rock Hall.

It should be called The Costume Hall of Fame. Seriously. We didn't quite know what to expect, couple hot guitars was nice, some films and displays of things, history, etc. But mostly just suits that Daltrey wore once, or 7 Madonna outfits or a couple Brittney Spears suits. We thought it was very, very weird. Left there with no souvenirs, and I stopped donating money to the cause after that.

rct

I agree there were a lot of things that were not so interesting but there was some things was ok. not enough to make me really feel sad about going back..but I may some time if Yes does get in..I have never donated other than the admission fee's the two different times I went.

I do admit that it is all a matter of opinion yet there are some parameters that help set some standards like length of time since first album. But The people on the voting panel are supposed to be able to recognize talent and look at sales figures and to some extent longevity should play a role. but some times they seem to just ignore all of it...baffling

Here's the process:

"The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body."

600 of them is a lot. The law of large numbers should remove any biases, so I'm ok with how they are picked. Of course, the nominating committee is much smaller.

Here's the process:

"The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body."

600 of them is a lot. The law of large numbers should remove any biases, so I'm ok with how they are picked. Of course, the nominating committee is much smaller.

That is correct but I have also read through the names and I think a lot of them have no idea of some of the older bands impact on the times they just hear a sampling of them and decide they do not like it....they should probably do something along the lines of the Baseball hof and form a veterans committee of members themselves to vote in people with out having to go through the nomination and balloting process...just my opinion...I just think there are some injustices and they seem to all be older groups and some of the newer bands that get in amaze me but hey I am old. LOL

Don't Stop Believing and it will happen. But most likely not. I grew up in the SF Bay area and heard them on the radio all the time. The first three albums before they got Steve Perry were damn good rock albums. Next is my fav. When Escape made them uber stars I had enough and you could not Escape an Escape song on the radio or MTV.

Good example of another band that if you look at some who are in you start to wonder why they are not, yeah they changed directions but still are more rock than some that did get in..Styx is another I would say are like Journey in that respect but deserve to be there..I mean both still remained more rock oriented than say ABBA...

I, II, III & IV Live At Carnegie Hall will always be in my top 5 fave albums(sets)!

Σß

Those early albums, with fantastic vocals from the 3 leads and incredible musicianship from every member, should have got them in years ago.

EWF is in and that's fine but Chicago's combination of rock and jazz influenced early work was just as essential.

So glad that Stevie Ray is on the nomination list! He's the one I'm rooting for to get in the most and voted for him a couple times already! He's one of my biggest and main influences, so him being on the list makes my day and I hope he gets in! When I did the voting thing for him, he was in 2nd place of the votes with Nine Inch Nails being in 1st for the votes.

So glad that Stevie Ray is on the nomination list! He's the one I'm rooting for to get in the most and voted for him a couple times already! He's one of my biggest and main influences, so him being on the list makes my day and I hope he gets in! When I did the voting thing for him, he was in 2nd place of the votes with Nine Inch Nails being in 1st for the votes.

Looks like they added Double Trouble too, which is absolutely the right thing to do.

The problem with the Rock and Roll "Hall of Fame" is in the name only.

If they had called it the POP hall of fame or the MUSIC hall of fame, that would be more accurate.

ROCK AND ROLL is a FORM of music. A type. Not all music is Rock and Roll. There is lots of great music that isn't.

When you call something "Rock and Roll", and it isn't, there is no credibility.

When you attempt to redefine the term, clearly you diminish it.

Rock and Roll means something to those who like it and KNOW what it is. The so-called "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" does not qualify as Rock and Roll.

I voted for KISS Deep Purple and I believe Yes was on there last year right? Seems like I remember voting for them too? You know actual classic rock artist that belong in there.

Exactly I think Last years nominee's were a better class than this year I would have liked to seen Yes this year I think they would have fared a little better.

Archived