Gibson Brands Forums

Spotted near home this morning

BobF_

We have a nesting pair a few miles from here. Saw a few this summer

grabbed_1414858436.png

Their presence usually says the environment is fine.

I hope there's enough for them to prey upon. Wouldn't like to see them seizing fretboard timbers another time. ;)

Thanks for the pic.

I can't help but love the fact our National Bird has made such a comeback.

Where I live, I'm pretty lucky to be able to see them regular-like. Portland OR is just south of the Columbia river, the part of the city I live in is only 2 or 5 miles or so from the river. I often drive on a road that goes along the river and I often see the nest and the Eagles doing their thing. Also, they often fly right over my house far up in the sky.

Besides that, the very same road I often take goes right between the river and PDX, where the ANG is stationed with a squadron of the other American Eagles- F-15's baby! And they are active, both practicing and being on guard 24/7 for the west coast from Northern California to up into Canada.

I feel blessed to be in a spot of the country where both the symbol of our heritage and the symbol of our strength are a nearly everyday occurrence. I feel so AMERICAN!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Maybe Florida is different (well, we know it's different - but I mean as far as eagles). I've been seeing them all my life. Not as common here on the coast as Osprey, but every good sized inland lake seems to have a nesting pair. We have a pair here on the intracoastal by my house as well. A couple years ago they had fledglings. They were fun to watch.

Grew up on the Platte River and now live on the Mississippi, I've seen them all of my life. Every time is fascinating, even when you aren't purposely out looking for them you will find yourself almost hypnotized by a random sighting. Out on a bird watch to see them hunt is truly breathtaking.

I'm always in awe when I see these magnificent creatures flying, sitting, or soaring. For some reason, on and around the Des Moines & Raccoon rivers here in Iowa, we have a slew of them. Hundreds even within maybe 20 miles of river front. None the less, when I'm driving into work at my store, and head over the "Coon River" bridge, and one swoops from the river fishing and heads right up and over the bridge, IT IS BREATHTAKING TO BEHOLD!!!!

The return of our nations icon of courage, strength, beauty, & might brings me "Hope" for "Change" BACK to our position of greatness, strength, & glory we have allowed to slip away from us. Let the USA soar high once again with the blueprint our founding fathers so carefully crafted for us!! [thumbup]

Great photo ops for the Eagles close to our near downtown river bridges. Looking thru the river valley brings view to a "village" of these beauties raising young and bringing happiness to all that take time to view them.

Aster

Some good info on the Bald Eagle population here... http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/population/index.html

A graph that shows the recovery since being added to the endangered list and a cool map with nesting pairs by state. Apparently Florida, Minnesota, and Wisconsin have WAY more nesting pairs (observed anyway) than most states.

I'm always in awe when I see these magnificent creatures flying, sitting, or soaring. For some reason, on and around the Des Moines & Raccoon rivers here in Iowa, we have a slew of them. Hundreds even within maybe 20 miles of river front. None the less, when I'm driving into work at my store, and head over the "Coon River" bridge, and one swoops from the river fishing and heads right up and over the bridge, IT IS BREATHTAKING TO BEHOLD!!!!

The return of our nations icon of courage, strength, beauty, & might brings me "Hope" for "Change" BACK to our position of greatness, strength, & glory we have allowed to slip away from us. Let the USA soar high once again with the blueprint our founding fathers so carefully crafted for us!! [thumbup]

Great photo ops for the Eagles close to our near downtown river bridges. Looking thru the river valley brings view to a "village" of these beauties raising young and bringing happiness to all that take time to view them.

Aster

Well said Aster.....Ye brought a tear to me eye.....[thumbup]

Archived