Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 question

Randmo

Had my J-15 about 8 months now. I don't how to describe it except the high e string seems to ping. It only seems to ping when the e string is strummed open. When I say ping, I mean it seems to over power the chord being played, especially on the up stroke.

Strings are about a week old (d'addario 12s), it's been a little rainy lately. Neck relief seems ok, tuners no problems. Standard tuning. Stays in tune

I've been playing less than a year, maybe it's just the way I play?

It can be many things I can tell one of them from my experience. My Gibson was getting a sound like that from the B string. I replaced the Tusq saddle with one custom bone saddle from Bob Colisi. I was going to replace it any way but that ping as describe it went away. As,I said however it could be many things if you never had it set up it would be a good time to take it to luthier and have a setup done.

It can be many things I can tell one of them from my experience. My Gibson was getting a sound like that from the B string. I replaced the Tusq saddle with one custom bone saddle from Bob Colisi. I was going to replace it any way but that ping as describe it went away. As,I said however it could be many things if you never had it set up it would be a good time to take it to luthier and have a setup done.

I think that's what I will do... take it in and have them look it over, maybe replace the bridge.

Hold on to your cowbell, there Randmo- let's not do anything hasty like bridge replacement. The "take it in to have a tech look at it" part seems to be the place to start.

Also- the bone saddle would be a good reversible experiment, as many people actually like the sound of the tusq.

Hold on to your cowbell, there Randmo- let's not do anything hasty like bridge replacement. The "take it in to have a tech look at it" part seems to be the place to start.

Also- the bone saddle would be a good reversible experiment, as many people actually like the sound of the tusq.

Randmo must be referring to the Saddle, not really the Bridge. IMHO that pingy sound could mostly result from playing style. I think recognizing that fact and modifying attack could compensate enough. On the other hand, it could be inherent in the energy of this guitar - I had a similar "zing" in the SJ that I sold. It just simply got better over time, and as the guitar approached its one year birth date, the sound simply faded away. If I played the open D string that was most affected, and the placed ny hand in the right quadrant of the lower bout, it disappeared.

Look carefully at where that string is crossing the saddle: see if a teeny tine grove has already developed. Maybe when you changed strings last, the new one didn't settle in the exact spot as the old string, and with tension, the new one is rubbing on the outside of the groove instead of in it.

Gotta look close, though; it'd be barely visible...if you see it, just loosen the string enough to nudge it into the groove.

Look carefully at where that string is crossing the saddle: see if a teeny tine grove has already developed. Maybe when you changed strings last, the new one didn't settle in the exact spot as the old string, and with tension, the new one is rubbing on the outside of the groove instead of in it.

Gotta look close, though; it'd be barely visible...if you see it, just loosen the string enough to nudge it into the groove.

I don't see any problems there. Thanks for the input, I would never have thought of that.

Is it possible to put the old E1 string back on? I know kinks in the winding at the peghead end usually preclude re-using that string. But if you didn't have the problem with the old string - one wonders why now? Second consideration - does it 'ping' if you fingerpick? Some picks seem to bring out that sound on the high E for me. So, I give them away.

Is it possible to put the old E1 string back on? I know kinks in the winding at the peghead end usually preclude re-using that string. But if you didn't have the problem with the old string - one wonders why now? Second consideration - does it 'ping' if you fingerpick? Some picks seem to bring out that sound on the high E for me. So, I give them away.

I can't fingerpick yet, only been playing 9 months. I can't seem to make it do it when I pick the one string, I'm hearing a little buzz, sounds like it's from the saddle but I'm not sure which string is buzzing, doesn't do it when I pluck single strings. I think I'll try to take it in to a shop this week and have a setup on it.

I'm seeing a little fret wear on the first fret (B and e strings) Gibson will probably say its normal wear. I have a warranty from GC where I bought it I wonder if they would warranty the fret? Like I said this is all new to me, but I would think the frets would hold up better than they have.

Maybe it's just me... Maybe I'm tone deaf [mellow]

I can't fingerpick yet, only been playing 9 months. I can't seem to make it do it when I pick the one string, I'm hearing a little buzz, sounds like it's from the saddle but I'm not sure which string is buzzing, doesn't do it when I pluck single strings. I think I'll try to take it in to a shop this week and have a setup on it.

I'm seeing a little fret wear on the first fret (B and e strings) Gibson will probably say its normal wear. I have a warranty from GC where I bought it I wonder if they would warranty the fret? Like I said this is all new to me, but I would think the frets would hold up better than they have.

Maybe it's just me... Maybe I'm tone deaf [mellow]

If you can't hear the 'ping' when you pluck the e1 with your fingernail - chances are it's a combination of the pick, how you strum and the new strings. If something is buzzing now - you should take it in to a guitar tech. As far as wear on your first fret - he will tell you it is the normal result of friction from the string "shining" the fret. Normally the frets have a slightly dull finish. If you shined them with 660 grade emory/sandpaper - they would lose the duller finish. You aren't losing fret material - it's not wear per se. You can expect the frets to last 10 - 20 years.

Before you do anything, try a different brand of string. Sounds crazy, but not all unwound strings are the same. I've experienced the same twang/ping with certain brands of strings, including D'Addario, switched strings and no more twang. I've also found particular guitars to be more prone to producing 'twang' than others. I play in DADGAD and my Guild F-130R in particular has a slight inherent twang on the second string no matter what brand of string, while my other guitars are fine.

DC

Took it to the shop today, the cable from the pickup under the bridge was causing the buzz, apparently it was right up against the string. They said the setup was good. As for the twang, from what they are telling me, it's partially my playing style, partially the tone of the J-15 and possibly the strings.

I do dig a little too much on my upstrokes, sounds like I need more practice.

As for the twang, from what they are telling me, it's partially my playing style, partially the tone of the J-15 and possibly the strings.

I do dig a little too much on my upstrokes, sounds like I need more practice.

Sounds to me like you need to change the tusk saddle with a bone one.

High E and B strings of J35 and J15 TWANG. That's a fact.

The replacement of the tusk nut & saddle and the palstic pins with real bone ones helps that twanging deasppear.

So I went with my J35 and now I am happy.

Besides I hate undersaddle piezo pickups, but this is another subject.

High E and B strings of J35 and J15 TWANG. That's a fact.

I agree with that. I have been looking at some YouTube videos and everyone of them has a little twang. Just the nature of the guitar. Certain songs it seems a little overpowering. The guys at the shop didn't recommend bone, they said they didn't like bone because sometimes it's a little soft, but maybe that's what I need?

Can you just order a bone saddle and pins online? Do they have to be custom made or can you just swap out?

Replacing saddle and pins is fairly easy. You can order them online www.guitarsaddles.com from Bob Colosi, or by phone. Gibson's are a standard size he stocks. The saddle, as you know is not attached - just drops into the bridge slot. The ones you get from Bob might be a millimeter or 2 large. You can take a very fine grit sandpaper (440?) and go over the saddle and pins lightly so they fit good and snug but not tight. Obviously, you can also sand a little more off the bottom of the saddle if you want your action lower. I've done this on my 3 Gibsons and it works like a charm. Be sure on the saddle to use a very good guide when you sand so you don't make it round, uneven or lopsided. And with it and the pins, do Very Little at a time and check the fit. And, finally, you may want to mark the bottom of each pin 1,2,3,4,5,6 so you know which hole it fits best in. And, finally, don't take off any wood from the guitar itself. Leave the bridge pin holes and the saddle slot in the bridge alone. G'Luck.

I think I understand the ping you are talking about. The high E on my D41 had a strange metallic ping or plink sorta sound that really stood out when playing the string open. Fretted there was no plink. I changed strings and brand of strings several times and it didn't go away. The constant was 12s. I took it to my luthier and he suspected the nut. We put the high E from a pack of 13s and the plink went away. He made a new nut cut for 12s and now the 12s are fine. No more plink/ping. May not be your problem but I am happy again with my D41!

I think I understand the ping you are talking about. The high E on my D41 had a strange metallic ping or plink sorta sound that really stood out when playing the string open. Fretted there was no plink.

I tried to isolate when it's most noticble, I notice it when I play a G chord and of course the e is fretted. It mostly on an up stroke that's most noticble.

Oh.... If I could only finger fingerpick [wink]

I have trouble with a buzzing on my J-35 on the e b strings, mostly the b is caused by my playing the c chord wrong and or my flat picking. To a lesser extent it may be due to the strings. I find that if I focus on playing those chords or strings correctly, I don't have as much buzzing. I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs, so I also have a tendency to strum a wee bit too hard and that distorts some things, as well. :rolleyes:

I have trouble with a buzzing on my J-35 on the e b strings, mostly the b is caused by my playing the c chord wrong and or my flat picking. To a lesser extent it may be due to the strings. I find that if I focus on playing those chords or strings correctly, I don't have as much buzzing. I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs, so I also have a tendency to strum a wee bit too hard and that distorts some things, as well. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm... I don't get any 'ping', twang, or otherwise on my J-35, even tuned to DADGAD and with aggressive strumming. Very solid tone. I do, however, get a twang/ping sound on the high A (DADGAD) with my Guild F-130R until it's fretted at the 5th fret and above. Thankfully, none of my other guitars have this issue. I've tried various things on the F-130R... different saddles, pins, strings, etc, but nothing really helps. It's such an otherwise good sounding guitar I just work around it, but find myself playing my other guitars more...particularly the OM-16 and J-35.

DC

Archived