Gibson Brands Forums

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead (one anyway)

ksdaddy

I read in today's obituaries that a teacher I had in the 8th grade passed away. She was 90 and based on the obit she may have had Alzheimer's.

My mother worked with her in the 50s. She worked as a child welfare worker. Think of some old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries where familes are ripped apart by some bureaucrat and the siblings spend the rest of their lives trying to find one another. According to my mother, that bureaucrat described her to a 'T'.

My sister told me of a time in the late 60s when a classmate was daydreaming and the teacher called to the person behind the daydreamer and said, "Slap that thing and see if it's alive!". Nice thing to say to a 14 year old girl. A few months later that girl and her twin sister were struck and killed crossing the road, which has nothing to do with it, but somehow always seemed to magnify the cruelty in what she said.

When I had her as a teacher in 1973 there was one particular book order that was going around, you know, the little 4 page catalogs where kids can order books and they are submitted by classroom. There was one book that dealt with teenage pregnancy. She outright refused to order that book for anyone, because as we all know, if a kid can't read about some horrible thing like that, then it won't happen to them, right? Sweep everything under the carpet, deny it's existence and it will never be a problem.

And the obit claimed she was a saint. The most caring, sweetest, loving person, best cook, best golfer, best blah blah blah. A true measure of a person's character is how they treat those under them, be they a waitress getting your breakfast, an employee, your children, your dog, or the guy on the street asking for spare change. I know how she treated those under her.

Maybe I'm no better than her because I'm talking about her now that's she's dead but if anyone wonders why I'm always rooting for the underdog, it's because of people like her.

That teacher could never handle me - I would have thrown my desk at her. I was a "problem" child in the '70's. There was only ONE teacher that helped me, and even brought my talents out. Any other teacher looked at me like I was a ticking timebomb...and I was.

I'm not applauding someone passing but there are people in this world we can do without. Especially those who feel it is their mission in life to tell others how to live their lives.

I know what you mean. I had a teacher when I was in elementary that seemed to pick on me, and I could have definitely done without her.

Oh my God!!! You had Misses Stanton too??? She was my first grade teacher, a real witch. One day I was in class and really had to go to the bathroom but she wouldn't let me. Well there came a moment where I couldn't hold it anymore and I peed my pants. I was humiliated enough just with the fact of what had just happened to me but to make matters worse.... That witch made me stand up infront of the whole class as she told me she was going to call my mother to come and clean it up. I think I was 6 years old. So now you all know why I am the way I am....=P~

A true measure of a person's character is how they treat those under them' date=' be they a waitress getting your breakfast, an employee, your children, your dog, or the guy on the street asking for spare change. I know how she treated those under her.[/quote']

I do think so too. Perhaps it doesnt mean everything. But, really, it does say too much to go unseen.

i have a friend that went through the catholic school system. once, in grade 11 (11th grade in US), he came to school unshaven (he was hairy for 17). he was taken to the washroom where he was shaved dry by a father with a nun watching. what is to be learned from this other than to be afraid of those in power?

Archived