Gibson Brands Forums

Chinese Gibson or Epiphone?

dbrian66

Epiphone makes some really nice P90 equipped guitars. Over the years, I've had one of their SG Juniors, one of their double-cut Les Paul Juniors and I've still got an Epi Les Paul, but I replaced the P90s with a pair I built (not that there was anything wrong with the stock set - just personal preference & I wanted to see if I could do it)...

AlmostFinished2_zps32d60288.jpg

At the time that pic was taken, I hadn't installed the pickguard or control cavity covers yet, but anyway,this is what you can expect from the stock Epiphone P90...

And if you want a little "twist" on the stock sound, there's this (very easy) mod. Actually used this on the neck pickup of my Epi Les Paul...

IMO, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in the Epiphone or their P90.

that first video sold me. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, I bought 3 Asian-made G-style guitars over the past 2 years (no Chinese-made counterfeits, but legit guitars) ...gorgeous, well built, and priced very nicely ($600-800)...but for some reason, even with pup's replaced they sounded very sterile and life-less. I was very disappointed and parted with them quickly. I learned my lesson. Nothing sounds as good as an "merican-made geetar"...it's just that simple.

Just did some shopping online and Guitar Center has the Epiphone Special I with p90's on sale for $99.99. Gonna try to get out there this weekend. Thanks for all your help putting my mind at ease. I will put some pics up as soon as I get something!

Yup. Spot on. Buy Gibby, Epi, and Fender, can't go wrong.

That would be American, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, and Indonesian. All for the above.

It seems every country makes guitars in one way or another, but I wonder why about Britian and Australia? Why don't they make guitars?

That would be American, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, and Indonesian. All for the above.

It seems every country makes guitars in one way or another, but I wonder why about Britian and Australia? Why don't they make guitars?

Maybe because there's no market left,Gibson & Fender has a majority of it covered.Both make cheaper models and it would take years to break in and make a profit.

4H :-k

My son Got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II for Christmas. Sounds awesome through my AFD100. Can't put it down! Can't fault it!! [thumbup]

Sadly IMO Gibson has lost the plot with pricing!! This will only push people to buying copied or other brand guitars!

Regards

I dunno...

Seriously, I think Gibson generally does a good job of pricing its various instruments. You can get a low-end LP, for example, for less on the street than a high-end Epi - and I think that's pretty much a good idea.

Now, priced out of the market? I'd doubt it, although frankly with no Gibson dealer within a day's drive at this point, I'm not at all likely to buy one until either I take a long trip - roughly 3 days, two to drive to and from and one for guitar shopping and at least a nice dinner. I won't pay much more than $500 for a guitar I ain't played.

So for me... it's a bit different from most here who are apparently closer to a place they might play several Gibsons.

But on the other hand... in that $400-750 price range, there are some awfully nice Epis.

m

My son Got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II for Christmas. Sounds awesome through my AFD100. Can't put it down! Can't fault it!! [thumbup]

Sadly IMO Gibson has lost the plot with pricing!! This will only push people to buying copied or other brand guitars!

Regards

They have been saying that sinse the 70's when cheaper copies started to become available.

Actually, mankind has said that about every product that can be made of lesser quality than another.

I don't think Gibson's are too expensive, taking everything into consideration. They DO have lots you could get for just over 500 American, or your regular high-end stuff for about 4k, and LOTS of stuff in between.

None of us want to work for free, and the reality is if you want something nice, you are gonna have to pay something.

When it comes to what is available quality-wise for the money, Gibsons are perhaps the best value out there.

My daughters Epiphone EJ200ce is a very fine acoustic guitar. I've played some Epi Les Pauls that were far better than the junk I learned on.

I'd buy an Epiphone in a heartbeat, if I couldn't afford a Gibson and needed a guitar.

[thumbup]

• 5 months later...

Ok, its been awhile since i started this thread. Here is the update. I saved some more money and did a lot of research and oredered an Agile guitar from Rondo Music on fri. It looks good and its kind of hard to find bad reviews on these things. I'll know sometime next week if it was smart or not, but for $330.00 it seemed like it was worth the chance!

http://www.rondomusic.com/product7022.html

I'll put pics up when I get it.

Sounds like great advice. I was shopping for an Epiphone, my 1st, had $400. To spend and bought the black Standard here next to my Gold top at left. Although I was impressed with the guitar and sound at the time, I wish I would have saved up more and bought the BB King Lucile Epiphone. For $600.

By the way, thanks for reopening this post. It was great reading Milod's as well as Marshal Paul's comments. I miss both. I know what happened to Milod, but does anyone miss Marshal Paul or know why he hasn't been on the board for awhile?msp_unsure.gif

Archived