Gibson Brands Forums

Made It To Boise

Californiaman

What exactly is the "winter inversion"?

Warm air above traps cold air below and shuts off convective circulation. Smog accumulates. eusa_sick.gif

BTW, congrats on your successful move, C-man. I made a similar one from SoCal to Utah 15 years ago (talk about gun culture, whew!), but I just moved me, not a whole family. I'm actually contemplating moving back to the coast, but not south. We'll see how that goes....

1421800882[/url]' post='1617945']

Warm air above traps cold air below and shuts off convective circulation. Smog accumulates. eusa_sick.gif

BTW, congrats on your successful move, C-man. I made a similar one from SoCal to Utah 15 years ago (talk about gun culture, whew!), but I just moved me, not a whole family. I'm actually contemplating moving back to the coast, but not south. We'll see how that goes....

I love the Oregon coast, the one thing I miss from living in San Diego is the beach. I don't miss the crime, the traffic, the rude people, the crowds, the high cost of living, the crazy laws, the gun grabbers, etc....etc....

Love the guitar! Congrats. I hope all goes well in Potatoville. I think it's a very nice state. When I was out that way once I got a nice appreciation for it.

Here in the NE I'm amazed at many people here don't realize that it's NW of Utah. They seem to get those states mixed up. I guess they need a better geography lesson.

"MOTHER! YOU MADE IT TO THE FORT!!"

lol

Good to see you made it safe and sound mate. We can start breathing again (lol).

Love the new git, that's a cool colour.

I was thinking the other night, because you've changed state, does this mean you'll be changing your forum name too? SpudMan? or Mr.Potato Head? (?)

In the words of Robin Zander of Cheap Trick, "I'm a Californiaman!"

Don't let the winter inversion get you down, we have them in the summer too!

Driving into that inversion from south eastern Oregon was a trip. You could see it just sitting there over the plains. Then I was in it.

My wife was freaking out by time we got to Nampa. She was behind me and couldn't see. We had to have a little talk about staying close on my tail lights.

That did the trick.

Freaking inversions going to be with us for another week they say. Hopefully the high preasure will clear it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_Tg8iHwZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG1T_EuNqCY

You have likely never driven in the South at night in July & August. I haven't considered Fog Lights as merely an option since '83. I recommend Cibie or Hella.

But then I don't know for sure if I've ever driven through an Inversion either! I drove out to visit family in Medford & Eugene in '80.

I drove for a living from '84-'86 and again from '88-'92 though, so it's possible. :-k Could be we just call it a heavy dew. [rolleyes]

Incidentally, Craters Of The Moon was a strange, other-worldly sight to behold.

It can be un-nerving to drive in bad conditions for many, many miles at a time... doubly so if you're traveling in tandem.

I'm glad you and yours made it ok! I hope now you have some time to relax and settle in.

ϵβ

No real problems for me with them (flatwounds).

I will say this, I like the difference I hear. I also like the feel.

Not as twangy or bright as round wounds.

The reason I asked is because the biggest problem I have with Bigsbys is staying in tune. I was thinking that flat wounds would glide more easily over those saddles, but I don't know. I never tried flat wounds on my G6120 before I got rid of it.

As for flat wound strings, that is all I use now on my hollows and semi-hollows- love the mellowness and warmth with the punchy mid-lows. I can imagine they sound great on that Epi.

1421820362[/url]' post='1618057']

You have no idea what it's like driving in fog for three hours so dense that you could barely make out two lines on the road ahead of you.

Amazingly thick stuff.

It has been bad this winter, but it will break up soon. This is how it works,me very year around the end of December we get a inversion, then around the middle of January the state legislature comes to town and starts legislating. This results in many hearings, volumous debates, testimonies, interviews and the danger of a real argument is always present. Needless to say things get very heated....Pretty soon the Capital building is so full of hot air the doors must be opened or the building will explode.Upon opening the doors the hot air rushes out into the atmosphere and soon the wind kicks up as the hot air rushes into the heavens a vacuum appears in the sky and sucks in coastal air from the Oregon Coast which has great moisture in it and this brings spring rains and clean our air up. We also have a summer inversion.I have been campaign ping for years to convince the state legislature to convince twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer just so we can tap into the power of hot air twice a year and save the environment.Makes perfect sense to me..

Archived