Gibson Brands Forums

Made It To Boise

Californiaman

Well we made it to Boise. It's been a great experience so far.

We're getting settled in. Only unpacking that which we need—because we'll be looking to buy our own home, instead of living in my brother-in-law's rental.

It's home for now till we find just the right property.

We've been checking out school for the kids and pretty much know where were going to send them.

Barbecued for some relatives yesterday. The Santa Maria-style Tri-tip and baby back ribs were a big hit. There's something to be said about cooking over an open pit with a few sticks of redwood. I will admit that was the first time I ever barbecued in 34 degree weather. At least my Heniken was cold!!!

I was here four days when UPS delivered the new guitar. It's the Turquoise Sorrento I've been waiting for. It arrived clean and neat and after allowing it to acclimate to it's new environment for a couple of days, I've finally got time to put it through a good workout.

She's beautiful as guitars go. I can post a couple of photographs, but propper ones are going to have wait until later.

EpiphoneSorrento_zps74ee8a5a.png

Congrats on the new geet and good move from California to The Famous Potatoes state!

At least now in Idaho you can protect yourself & your family but carrying a concealed weapon ...something that Commiefornia would pretty much never permit the average citizen to do because they're so worried about your well being. <_<

Congrats on the new geet and good move from California to The Famous Potatoes state!

At least now in Idaho you can protect yourself & your family but carrying a concealed weapon ...something that Commiefornia would pretty much never permit the average citizen to do because they're so worried about your well being. <_<

Why does everything have to hinge on "guns" for some people. Are you really SO fearful of everything and everyone?

Best of luck to you and yours in your new home/state, Cali. I'm staying put, myself. [wink]

Thing is, firearms are great fun as sporting equipment.

I've been a "shooter" for more than 60 years and I can tell you that, as Thomas Jefferson noted, a bit of a walk with a rifle to do what we'd nowadays call "plinking," is a great relaxation.

So is hunting. So are dozens of variations on target shooting, both formal competition and informal.

As for defense, I've had my hand on a firearm for defense twice, both cases out in the boonies and both cases involving feral dog packs. A lady friend started "carrying" when she discovered she was being stalked daily by a mountain lion.

Self defense, whether from bad folks or an automobile breakdown, isn't so much a problem in the boonies as it is for folks who live in cities - it's just that in the boonies, folks figure to take care of themselves rather than hoping somebody comes to help in time. That's also why I'd recommend a winter survival kit in the vehicle for anyone new to the rural areas of northern parts of the U.S. and all of Canada.

m

Are you really SO fearful of everything and everyone? [wink]

Just look around you man, the world is an eff'd up place anymore...

Sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Not everything revolves around the fact that I love and carry my guns but I just saw that the OP left the LEFT coast and moved to a very pro 2A state which I thought was awesome....good for him and his family. I always loved Idaho when I visited, it has a very safe feeling.....if a state can have a feel. [tongue]

"MOTHER! YOU MADE IT TO THE FORT!!"

lol

Good to see you made it safe and sound mate. We can start breathing again (lol).

Love the new git, that's a cool colour.

I was thinking the other night, because you've changed state, does this mean you'll be changing your forum name too? SpudMan? or Mr.Potato Head? (?)

I forgot the little known 2nd (i) Amendment, the right to keep and bear spuds.

Okay, I've got all of my potato jokes out of the way.

I hear that Idaho is a beautiful state so I hope that the move turns out to be what you envisioned.

Why does everything have to hinge on "guns" for some people. Are you really SO fearful of everything and everyone?

Best of luck to you and yours in your new home/state, Cali. I'm staying put, myself. [wink]

I don't think it's so much that, as the fact that in NOT being in Cali, it's a nice surprise to find out you COULD have and carry a gun if one chooses to do so, without feeling like a criminal or being on the edge of the law.

It's more American, that is being able to have a gun. And NOT being fearful is an American traight as well.

It's more like being an American is not being fearful of guns, as opposed to having fear and feeling the need for them.

Awe c'mon Steve, there's got to be a few more there!

Isn't your second ammendment 'the right to bear arms, or arm bears', whatever the hell you feel like?

lol

You're confusing that with the feeling of being armed in bear country.

Guns are an important part of the local community here.

Hunting is a big thing in Idaho. My brother-in-laws kid went recently and came back with a buck and a bull elk.

Bird hunting is also big.

So along those lines one of the first public service announcements I saw this morning was about how to properly store your guns.

It's all about using them responsible.

On another note.

My new Epiphone Sorrento is one bad *** guitar. I've been playing it quite a bit and enjoy the different tonal variations I can conjure up out of her.

The flat wound, medium sized strings, are a pleasant surprise. Smooth on the fingers and certainly a different tone.

When I took it into guitar center to have the tech look it over the other day, everyone behind the counter immediately came over to see her. The tech was impressed with her too.

"Oh my! What a beauty."

Anyway, carry on.

Glad it's all going well for you...

And yeah... it's a different culture compared to Cali almost anywhere.

Venison vs. elk... I'll go for the elk any day. Or moose. Venison seems to pick up more overtones of its diet. I took a deer one year in the hills where it'd obviously been eating pine needles 'cuz it literally tasted as if it'd been marinated in gin. No kidding on that.

Enjoy!

I can see where that guitar would be very nicely versatile for you. As for the flats... That's all I used in in the first post Beatle rock band I played in. Ditto the other picker.

m

Oh the ways we can eat spuds:

Boiled and mashed.

Stewed.

In a soup or chowder.

Baked.

Fried.

Steamed.

You left out: Raw, peeled, with a little salt.

Guns are an important part of the local community here.

Hunting is a big thing in Idaho. My brother-in-laws kid went recently and came back with a buck and a bull elk.

Bird hunting is also big.

So along those lines one of the first public service announcements I saw this morning was about how to properly store your guns.

It's all about using them responsible.

Could be because, last week in Idaho, a very young child sitting in a shopping cart reached into the mothers purse, found a pistol and accidentally shot her dead.

On another note.

My new Epiphone Sorrento is one bad *** guitar. I've been playing it quite a bit and enjoy the different tonal variations I can conjure up out of her.

The flat wound, medium sized strings, are a pleasant surprise. Smooth on the fingers and certainly a different tone.

When I took it into guitar center to have the tech look it over the other day, everyone behind the counter immediately came over to see her. The tech was impressed with her too.

"Oh my! What a beauty."

Anyway, carry on.

Caliman, hope your new roots take hold as well as the up-root went! Nice guitar! =P~

Archived