Gibson Brands Forums

How cold is it where you are tonite?

Steven Tari

I gotta confess to ya' date=' I do like a good Merlot every now and then. So, maybe we can do some Jazz while we drink that . . . Kinda like "what wine do you drink with this dish?" Instead, we'll ask ourselves, "What smokin' hot music goes with this drink?"[/quote']

Oh yeah,

We call that American Guitar Music around here. Doesn't matter if it's rock, r&b, blues, honkey tonk, or jazz.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is currently -16C and warming up...we were down to -51C with the windchill a few days ago...I didn't think I would ever thaw out. I dress in layers and I can keep warm until I have to face the wind. It takes between 3-10 minutes to freeze skin at that temp. You learn to walk backwards allot! Incidentally, this is very hard on guitars. Heating air dries it out so humidity takes a dive. I keep them in one room with a humidifier and attempt to hold a reasonable average of about 40%. Oh well Spring is only about 3 months away!

About 14 here in Nashville, I've been painting the last couple of days and with this weather I have found a couple of drafts in windows.

So for our Canadian folks, what kind of strange things happen at those temperatures?

I mean it was like 4 degrees last night but I still went and got the mail wearing a t-shirt, at -17or -20 I am not sure if I would be able to do that...

Stiffhand

A friend went out to start the car so it warms up the other morning...he says he was wearing only a dress shirt and underwear....and now has a whole new appreciation for the girls that wear skirts in the winter! (It was -30C something at the time.)

Worse than the thought of parading in underwear at that temperature is the vision of him walking around in his underwear!

Manitoba is warming up so it looks like the cold has gone east for a bit. You guys in Eastern Canada...remember we don't mind sharing! LOL Enjoy!!!

About 14 here in Nashville' date=' I've been painting the last couple of days and with this weather I have found a couple of drafts in windows.

So for our Canadian folks, what kind of strange things happen at those temperatures?

I mean it was like 4 degrees last night but I still went and got the mail wearing a t-shirt, at -17or -20 I am not sure if I would be able to do that...[/quote']

Well unfortunately, your spit doesn't freeze before it hits the ground... that's just a myth. However....

TRUE STORY

Up until several years ago, a certain school division in the North West Territories had a policy to cancel school whenever the temperature reached -50 degrees Celsius (about -58 Fahrenheit). However, the kids were missing too many days of school due to the cold weather. So, the division changed the cancellation cut-off point to -75 Celsius (-103 Fahrenheit.) You do NOT want to be outside at those temperatures.

Also...

I had a good friend who worked up in the Yukon for several years. Apparently, if you're outside during winter, and you come into a building, you have to take your boots off... because if you don't, you will sweat and your feet will freeze once you go outside.

And finally... (fun fact)

From November to March, the northern provinces (or territories) of Canada experience 24 hours of complete darkness. The sun never rises.

From April to August, they have 24 hours of complete light. The sun never sets.

Interesting, isn't it...

It was 8 degrees last night in Washington, DC. Supposed to have a heat wave today and get into the 20's. Can't think the free concert tomorrow is going to be a whole lot of fun being outside and all.

77 degrees F right now in Santa Maria, CA. "Blue skies.... nothing but blue skies, all the day long."

It's settled, we're havinb a Q tomorrow! Whoo hoo! Q-time baby! Red oak BBQd Tri-tip, linguica sausage, french bread, ranch style beans, slaw, cold beer and a couple bottles of wine.

And of course lots of guitar playing.

Wow' date=' A California BBQ is a lot different than a Texas BBQ. Ours is Brisket, Sausage and budweiser, we don't need no stinken vegetables.[/quote']

Damn, I miss Tejas BBQ. We used to have a smoked brisket every Sunday. Melts in your mouth.......

Wow' date=' A California BBQ is a lot different than a Texas BBQ. Ours is Brisket, Sausage and budweiser, we don't need no stinken vegetables.[/quote']

Yeah KSG, we sometimes serve Broccoli Salad too. I believe what you call Brisket, we call Tri-tip. Although sometimes we get a 30 lb. bag of Top Block (Sirloin) and cook that up.

Tomorrow's will be a great day for a Q in Texas or California.

Well boy's since smithfield is in my back yard we either get it from their or slaughter the hog fresh and cook it over oak coal for 18 hours putting on that homemade sauce as we go. I love being on the cooking crew with fresh hog. All the beer you can drink all nite and fresh pork brains and eggs in the morning With deer sausage. That fresh pan cornbread with honey. Plus that fresh cracklen with hot red pepper is killer also. Man, hurry up spring.

Well boy's since smithfield is in my back yard we either get it from their or slaughter the hog fresh and cook it over oak coal for 18 hours putting on that homemade sauce as we go. I love being on the cooking crew with fresh hog. All the beer you can drink all nite and fresh pork brains and eggs in the morning With deer sausage. That fresh pan cornbread with honey. Plus that fresh cracklen with hot red pepper is killer also. Man' date=' hurry up spring.[/quote']

Sounds like a good old North Carolina Pig Pickin' call me when it's done and I'll bring my fork.

Archived