Gibson Brands Forums

paging Dr. Frankenstein....

Marshall Paul

I haven't played enough different Gibsons (that already exist) to really have a handle on how I feel about all the different configurations and components. Just too ignorant to make a good informed decision... yet...

I don't know the first thing about pots and caps (other than the find secondary/indirect education I've gotten in here) and haven't experienced anything but contemporary stock wiring...

I am curious though. I've not heard or seen anyone on this forum yet mention Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars or his "revolutionary" Z-Glide neck surface/finish...

Home-Page_TAG-ZGlide.png

Sublink1-Z-Glide-Head_1.png?3889Sublink3-Z-Glide-Head_2.png?3893Sublink2-Z-Glide-Body.png?3891

I am actually kinda curious about how this neck surface feels and plays...

I'm on the fence if I think I'd like it or not...

I also wonder how it holds up...

I have noticed that nobody in here seems to have test driven any of his stuff or owns any yet.

But this neck surface/finish intrigues me and I thought it was potentially related to such "custom" builds idea...

That was fun. But you can't save your work after.

Well you can press FN + PrtSC (usually the END button on top of the keypad) and you can do a screen shot... Then if you open Paint you can paste it in there and crop it to just the guitar..

like this

Image2_zps05suan9d.jpg

Image6_zps5z1hdmin.jpg

Image8_zpsdqmtistr.jpg

:)

I haven't played enough different Gibsons (that already exist) to really have a handle on how I feel about all the different configurations and components. Just too ignorant to make a good informed decision... yet...

I don't know the first thing about pots and caps (other than the find secondary/indirect education I've gotten in here) and haven't experienced anything but contemporary stock wiring...

I am curious though. I've not heard or seen anyone on this forum yet mention Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars or his "revolutionary" Z-Glide neck surface/finish...

I have noticed that nobody in here seems to have test driven any of his stuff or owns any yet.

But this neck surface/finish intrigues me and I thought it was potentially related to such "custom" builds idea...

Yeah we have had that before... and people are very Mehh about it...

I cant see it being better than a nice satin finished neck :) (and it probably would have become popular by now if it were that good).

Home-Page_TAG-ZGlide.png

Sublink1-Z-Glide-Head_1.png?3889Sublink3-Z-Glide-Head_2.png?3893Sublink2-Z-Glide-Body.png?3891

a lot of sweat and crud would build up in all those nooks and crannies...

The Les Paul is not my favorite Gibson. If I was going to buy an LP shaped guitar, it would be a CS6S from Carvin, who will pretty much build all their basic body styles from the buyer's specs.

CS6S:

25" scale, 22 frets

Bookmatched 4A Flamed Maple top with matching headstock, Abalone Carvin Logo

Translucent Deep Honey Burst with Black Burst edges, Clear Polyurethane Gloss Finish

Tune-o-matic Bridge with String Thru Body

Mahogany Neck and Body, 5 piece Mahogany Neck with 2 Maple Stripes

Abalone Block Inlays on Ebony Fretboard, Stainless Steel Medium-Jumbo Frets

12" Fretboard Radius, Standard Black Truss Rod Cover

S22B Bridge Piickup, S22J Neck Pickup (closest offering to PAFs), Cream Bezels

All Gold Hardware, Gold knobs with Abalone Inlays

VT-2 Volume, Push Pull Coil Splitting Tone Knobs, 2 Volume, 2 Tone Knobs

Locking Carvin Tuners

Black Hardshell Case

Free Shipping

Total= $1,944.00

Estimated ship time= 3 months max.

cs6m-fdh6-94602.jpg

sh575-closeup-large-4.jpg

Closest picture I could find to the end product.

Imagine gold hardware with 4 abalone inlay knobs.

Backside doesn't show Maple stripes in the neck.

S22 pickups are relatively high output humbuckers well rounded and bright sound, excellent articulation.

The Les Paul is not my favorite Gibson. If I was going to buy an LP shaped guitar, it would be a CS6S from Carvin, who will pretty much build all their basic body styles from the buyer's specs.

CS6S:

25" scale, 22 frets

Bookmatched 4A Flamed Maple top with matching headstock, Abalone Carvin Logo

Translucent Deep Honey Burst with Black Burst edges, Clear Polyurethane Gloss Finish

Tune-o-matic Bridge with String Thru Body

Mahogany Neck and Body, 5 piece Mahogany Neck with 2 Maple Stripes

Abalone Block Inlays on Ebony Fretboard, Stainless Steel Medium-Jumbo Frets

12" Fretboard Radius, Standard Black Truss Rod Cover

S22B Bridge Piickup, S22J Neck Pickup (closest offering to PAFs), Cream Bezels

All Gold Hardware, Gold knobs with Abalone Inlays

VT-2 Volume, Push Pull Coil Splitting Tone Knobs, 2 Volume, 2 Tone Knobs

Locking Carvin Tuners

Black Hardshell Case

Free Shipping

Total= $1,944.00

Estimated ship time= 3 months max.

cs6m-fdh6-94602.jpg

Closest picture I could find to the end product.

Imagine gold hardware with 4 abalone inlay knobs

S22 pickups are relatively high output humbuckers well rounded and bright sound, excellent articulation.

VERY pretty guitar....

Well you can press FN + PrtSC (usually the END button on top of the keypad) and you can do a screen shot... Then if you open Paint you can paste it in there and crop it to just the guitar..

I'll give that a go, see if that saves it.

a lot of sweat and crud would build up in all those nooks and crannies...

That was my first thought too. When I get time I'll still go over and have a look at it.

Hey RetroRod, where's your baby? your mini-me? your retrorod monster? throw the covers off and gives us a look see!

lol

1424213444[/url]' post='1630052']

I'm with VG-ear... shorter scale.

So... Actually an ES175 with a somewhat flattened back, roughly a 24" neck; '57 pups or equivalent so it's relatively warm but, with both pups "on," the ability to use technique for a more treble acoustic-y sound or move the picking hand up to the neck, a warmer jazz/acoustic sound.

One addition only, really - a master volume, probably about 2 inches toward the neck from the bridge to allow roughly the same tones but with the ability for the pinky finger to handle the volume to change the overall attack more or less as done on a pedal steel.

Basically, short of the master volume, there ain't much I'd change on it. TM bridge works fine for me.

The major work would be a slightly shorter scale, ideally to around 24", a nut cut for my light strings of choice rather than heavier... Perhaps a center block under the bridge more to stabilize it from in the rapid and huge "climate changes" we get annually where I live that sometimes arise in a single day.

But to really get a "change," add a piezo to the bridge just for giggles, with hidden/semi-hidden controls so it still runs through the single mono jack. Something like the Schaller Flagship preamp and bridge worked out that those controls would be on/under the pickguard.

I have a similar size body on an old '50s archtop that does have a 24-inch scale; even with the baseball bat neck I dislike, it's almost as easy to play as a more modern neck.

Colors? Not that big a deal; a normal sunburst or whatever. Ditto tuners - if Gibson put's 'em on and the setup has the nut and bridge set appropriately it should work well. Yeah, ebony fingerboard might be nice but no big deal.

But... all this assumes it's to be a gift from Gibson... I think the neck/scale shortening might be most difficult. Then again, figure drop the first fret on a 24 3/4 for fret distancing?

Too... ain't really had concerns about any sorta frets on a decent guitar as long as they werent' scratchy or rough for whatever reason.

Actually a zero fret isn't all that bad an idea, although I have mixed emotions about the current iteration found on the LP. Robot tuning likely wouldn't get that much use on a 175 type body, but if it came with the package, fine and I might do some alternate tunings I don't take the time to do on stage currently. If not... well, at this point most of my pickin' is in standard tuning anyway and I know how to tune to it.

Some might question why not more circuitry to eliminate the habit of archtops to feed back. I could take it or leave it, depending.

m

Hey, can I chime in? I love Greg Hilden's Custom Les Paul, but only with, a Koa top with Deep Vintage Honey Burst Edges and Gold Hardware. Locking tuners and with a 13 pin Synth Board with the Gibson Standard back and sides wood finish and the top Gloss. Don't know if I would like the Bixby vibrato or not but definitely the Roland GR-20 box or upgrade.

msp_scared.gifHey, can I chime in? I love Greg Hilden's Custom Les Paul, but only with, a Koa top with Deep Vintage Honey Burst Edges and Gold Hardware. Locking tuners and with a 13 pin Synth Board with the Gibson Standard back and sides wood finish and the top Gloss. Don't know if I would like the Bixby vibrato or not but definitely the Roland GR-20 box or upgrade.

I think I would go with a j45 with round shoulders

Brazilian Rosewwod back and sides

Brazilian Rosewwod fretboard

Brazilian Rosewood mustache bridge with abalone inlays

Brazilian Rosewwod top

Mahogany neck

dyed dark bone pins with abalone tops

Bound neck and headstock

Abalone Paralellogram fret markers

Abalone Gibson Peghead logo

Abalone Flowers on headstock

cream binding everywhere