Gibson Brands Forums

The 2002 Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V has arrived! :D

Guitar God

Sweet.. a great guitar for a great price.. even when new they were at a really nice price point... I actually bought one, or I thought I did. When it arrived it was a V Standard in cherry with full gloss finish.. And I got to keep it for the same price too lol.. but I really wanted one of the faded ones as I love the satin finish (especially on the neck).. But they had sold out, so I kept the standard V, even though I ended up part exchanging it for my 2008 LP Standard a short while after (that was a love at first sight guitar which I had to have). And I don't really regret it. :)

Happy rocking man [thumbup]

NICE. Looks like you got a great deal there, play it long time in good health.

I probably should have a V, but I don't. If I ever run into a good one I will give it a good whack and I will probably buy it.

rct

Congratulations,

I am surprised how Gibson Vs hang, they almost hang like a Les Paul, I guess because of the strap buttons being so separated and the neck joint being up the neck. My Epiphone Jeff Waters V has 24 frets and a different neck joint and feels more like an Explorer.

Sweet.. a great guitar for a great price.. even when new they were at a really nice price point... I actually bought one, or I thought I did. When it arrived it was a V Standard in cherry with full gloss finish.. And I got to keep it for the same price too lol.. but I really wanted one of the faded ones as I love the satin finish (especially on the neck).. But they had sold out, so I kept the standard V, even though I ended up part exchanging it for my 2008 LP Standard a short while after (that was a love at first sight guitar which I had to have). And I don't really regret it. :)

Happy rocking man [thumbup]

Thanks. Always wanted a cherry Gibson Flying V and finally got one. They are great! Played it through my Marshall's today and WOW! I played a faded cherry one like mine before back when I was in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 back when one of my local music stores used to be a Gibson dealer. Loved it! Didn't play it through an amp, though. Yeah, the faded series were at a great price point, too! Same with the old faded Les Paul Specials and the older SG Specials, too. Holy crap! You did get a good deal on the Standard Flying V! I've always loved the cherry Flying V's. If you're still really wanting a faded cherry Faded Cherry Flying V, check eBay. That's where mine came from and I seen quite a few on there. Mine has the Crescent Moon inlays. Or check Craigslist.

Thanks. Always wanted a cherry Gibson Flying V and finally got one. They are great! Played it through my Marshall's today and WOW! I played a faded cherry one like mine before back when I was in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 back when one of my local music stores used to be a Gibson dealer. Loved it! Didn't play it through an amp, though. Yeah, the faded series were at a great price point, too! Same with the old faded Les Paul Specials and the older SG Specials, too. Holy crap! You did get a good deal on the Standard Flying V! I've always loved the cherry Flying V's. If you're still really wanting a faded cherry Faded Cherry Flying V, check eBay. That's where mine came from and I seen quite a few on there. Mine has the Crescent Moon inlays. Or check Craigslist.

Yeah I liked the guitar mostly but never quite bonded with it... I wasn't a big fan of the neck profile (like on a Firebird) but love the pickups (which I have in my Classic), they are hot guitars for sure...

And yes, lol I got really lucky in one way with the V, but then it was the shops fault so they didn't have much choice... This is the one

CopyofDSC00951_zpse4d4155c.jpg

But then as I say, I swapped it (and obviously paid some more) for this :D

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

Congratulations GG, look's great your V! And I agree satin neck's feel great!

And Rabs I can perfectly understand why you fell in love with your Standard, the same happened to me when I saw your's!

Enjoy them, both of you, very beautyfull instruments.

Yeah I liked the guitar mostly but never quite bonded with it... I wasn't a big fan of the neck profile (like on a Firebird) but love the pickups (which I have in my Classic), they are hot guitars for sure...

And yes, lol I got really lucky in one way with the V, but then it was the shops fault so they didn't have much choice... This is the one

CopyofDSC00951_zpse4d4155c.jpg

But then as I say, I swapped it (and obviously paid some more) for this :D

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

Love the neck on my 2002 Faded Cherry Flying V. I'm loving this guitar. Love the pickups that are in it, too, which are the 500T and 496R. What year was your V?

Love the neck on my 2002 Faded Cherry Flying V. I'm loving this guitar. Love the pickups that are in it, too, which are the 500T and 496R. What year was your V?

Yeah I think the same pups.. the hot ceramic sisters :) (and they use them on the older LP Classics).

NICE. Looks like you got a great deal there, play it long time in good health.

I probably should have a V, but I don't. If I ever run into a good one I will give it a good whack and I will probably buy it.

rct

Thanks! Love it a lot. Check eBay. That's where mine came from. Or check Craigslist.

These pickups are awesome! I'd love to get my hands on an older Les Paul Classic!

Yeah when I say older I literally mean pre 2015.. I cant remember about 2014 but certainly 2013 and before the Classics used those pups.. they now use the 57 and super 57 on the new models.

I LOVE my Classic .. and they have a nice slim 60s neck too [thumbup]

Yeah when I say older I literally mean pre 2015.. I cant remember about 2014 but certainly 2013 and before the Classics used those pups.. they now use the 57 and super 57 on the new models.

I LOVE my Classic .. and they have a nice slim 60s neck too [thumbup]

I know that. I stared playing in 2000 when I was 8 years old, so I know which Classic's you're talking about. I'd love to get my hands on one.

I know that. I stared playing in 2000 when I was 8 years old, so I know which Classic's you're talking about. I'd love to get my hands on one.

The guitar in my avatar is my classic. (well officially its a LP Classic 1960 made in 2002)

Sweet! Those older Classic's were based off a 1960 Les Paul. Guess everything on yours is stock?

Yup, apart from I removed the pickguard (a cream one with 1960 written on it).. Apart from that its exactly the same as I bought it (in 2002 :)) and is just perfect(for me anyway)..

Hey Guitar God (I feel weird saying that).

Out of curiosity do you notice aging difference in color between the pickguard and the truss rod cover on your V?

On mine the pickguard has become off-white while the truss rod cover is still very white, it is actually noticeable and strange since they are both seemingly made of the same 4 play material.

I will have to figure out how to make the plastics the same color because the pickup rings that I am adding are very white too.

The only reason I will have to address this is because I am painting the headstock to match the rest of the guitar.

Yup, apart from I removed the pickguard (a cream one with 1960 written on it).. Apart from that its exactly the same as I bought it (in 2002 :)) and is just perfect(for me anyway)..

Cool! I bet it's a sweet Les Paul! Like I said, I would love to have one. Always wanted one of those older Classic's.

Hey Guitar God (I feel weird saying that).

Out of curiosity do you notice aging difference in color between the pickguard and the truss rod cover on your V?

On mine the pickguard has become off-white while the truss rod cover is still very white, it is actually noticeable and strange since they are both seemingly made of the same 4 play material.

I will have to figure out how to make the plastics the same color because the pickup rings that I am adding are very white too.

The only reason I will have to address this is because I am painting the headstock to match the rest of the guitar.

Not a weird question. I noticed more on the pickguard. The pickguard on my 2002 Faded Cherry Flying V has aged to an off-white/crème. However, like I said, I got mine off of eBay and the previous owner had a sticker on the top of the pickguard and you can see the outline of it when you hold it up and look at it and inside the outline of where the sticker was is still like a snow white. No sticker residue, though. Just the outline. Hope this answers your question.

Only thing with these V's is the pups move around too much unhindered in their recesses. Flop about like untrained circus seals. Why gibby allowed this in the design I don't know. Anyway, to stabilise them up just get a techie to install the pups in a couple of white mounting rings. Problem solved.

And if at any time you feel the need for a trem on it, the Stetsbar fits straight on. And they're not expensive either.

Good V, have one myself. Enjoy.

Not a weird question. I noticed more on the pickguard. The pickguard on my 2002 Faded Cherry Flying V has aged to an off-white/crème. However, like I said, I got mine off of eBay and the previous owner had a sticker on the top of the pickguard and you can see the outline of it when you hold it up and look at it and inside the outline of where the sticker was is still like a snow white. No sticker residue, though. Just the outline. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks, it does answer my question. If I do not find a way to whiten the pickguard I am going to try to age the truss rod cover and pickup rings to match.

Archived