Gibson Brands Forums

What does Gibson's warranty cover?

pcf

First off, you've got to be the original owner, with a receipt and the instrument must have been purchased from an authorized dealer. Outside the US I think the warranty is limited to one year.

What the warranty covers is grayed by the wording "malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship." Any claim is subject to list of 10 caveats that limit the warranty. With a neck reset and bridge lift Gibson would be looking at improper care among other caveats. If your claim is accepted - in the case of expensive warranty repairs, Gibson can elect to "repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate in its sole discretion." So you might not get your guitar back, but a new one.

You should have the guitar examined by your authorized dealer or an authorized repair center, and they should be able to tell you if Gibson might accept warranty repair work on it.

I bought an Epi AJ-18 years ago and after about 3 years it needed a neck reset. Took it to Elderly as it was warranted by Gibson and they were an authorized shop years ago. They sent it to Gibson and about 3 weeks later they replaced it, no charge. This was like a $250 guitar. I really wanted the original guitar back as it sounded great for the $, but could hardly argue on a guitar of that value.

I've owned a Gibson AJRI for 12 years with no problems and would guess that Gibson would opt to repair vs replace my AJ. I wouldn't diss mfgr warranties until you've needed to use them.

... I wouldn't diss mfgr warranties until you've needed to use them.

Their warranty is just so much Swiss Cheese carefully crafted by the accountants and lawyers. I received a brand new guitar with a hidden defect that Gibson labels 'shipping damage'. I'm now left holding the bag on a $300 repair. 'nuff said.

In general, a maker of things like guitars, fine furniture, etc.will only work with hand picked retailers to ensure the retailer will properly inspect the guitar when received for defects. They will tend to deal with one, good shipper to ensure their product is treated like cases of Charmin. They'll be sure to hold the shipper responsible for shipping damage. The retailer will scrutinize the guitar to make sure it has neither a manufacturing defect, nor any shipping damage. The concept of "hidden shipping damage" would imply it was clearly the shipper. However, if neither Gibson, nor the authorized dealer is holding the shipper responsible, I guess all you can do is be happy it only cost you $300.

Re: Mike_L's post:

... I guess all you can do is be happy it only cost you $300.

True. It would seem as though Bozeman would prefer to not be in the repair business, but if you've been careful with your guitar, & you've got a legitimate issue, they're pretty good about it. Especially if that guitar was purchased through a 5 Star dealer with a great relationship with the factory. Then, that "grey area" may be a little less grey.

$300? You got off easy: Link

My one warranty experience with Gibson was well handled & straightforward.

A separation had developed in the center body glue joint on a Les Paul double-cut (edited, as I was first remembering it as an SG due to the double-cut).

I went through a regional authorized repairperson first (via email photos). After he consulted with Nashville, I was instructed to ship the guitar to Nashville for further assessment. This particular model was no longer in production & Gibson elected to replace the instrument, so I was offered my choice of any guitar of equal value from current production.

This occurred in 2012. The guitar was manufactured in 2007.

Most manufacturers consider almost every warranty problem these days to be cause by improper humidification on the part of the owner…..it is a catch phrase that brings it down to "company says/owner says" situation….and guess which side ALWAYS wins….lol……...

I would be surprised if anything outside of a major manufacturing defect is covered and you had better report it early on.

Per my earlier post (#10), the warranty on my LP was fully honored five years after purchase, and there were no questions asked once Nashville examined it in hand.

I will add this:

Each claim must be considered on a case by case basis, and Gibson certainly has cause to be cautious. Lots of folks are very careful with their instruments, but many are not. I'm always amazed at how physically thrashed an instrument can be that is only a few years old.

Structural problems that might develop due to manufacturing issues should obviously be covered. But beyond that, there can be huge grey areas where environmental considerations could come into play. Once a guitar leaves the factory, Gibson has no control over what it might be subjected to.

So bottom line imho: The warranty has value, but don't expect it cover everything that might be thrown at it.

Archived