Gibson Brands Forums

Differences in martin and Gibson necks. Help

blindboygrunt

Have long since hankered for a martin to be my j45's brother.

Am looking at d35's (firm favorite) and 28's.

The scale length aside, are the necks hugely different to play?

I had a lowden before and got shot of it due to hurting my thumb when I wrapped it fit the low E.

The purchase will most likely be an online job so anyone out there with both these guitars give me some inside info about the differences?

The measurements are similar but that doesnt always equate to sameness.

Any other info will be hugely appreciated as I value a lot of you guys knowledgea great deal.

Cheers

Not what you want to hear and not much help, but they all seem to vary depending on year/model. Sound familiar?

So its the proverbial 'probably should try them first'.

Having said all that, I prefer the large Mod V necks with wide spacings and these are usually on Authentic, Vintage and Golden Era model dreads, but on a few other models. I think your Gibson would be similar to the older Modified Low Oval shape necks, all fairly standard, but recently they have been streamlining their specs to have most standard guitars use the newer ....phew.......Peforming Artist with Performing Artist Taper neck.....Ha Ha, I kid ya not, BBG! It means it is a Mod V but it doesnt get wider as you go up the fretboard.

Soundwise, the D35 is a fave of singer songwriter types, but the models swing out wildly with : D28, HD28, HD28V, HD28VS, D28 Authentics et al......

So you need to 'buy on try', or go to a shop with a couple, but I personally go for used, broken in or even broken....... My HD28V is the most gorgeous guitar that I had to have after trying it, even though it is not my normal type of guitar, but really it is just a big piano sound, whereas for vocalising you might like the more muted mahogany D18 or budget D15......

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK.

I've read about the 'p' necks.

Might suit a guy who switches between electric and acoustic.

The few I've bookmarked are just regular martin necks. No special models. No V in the titles.

In not a fan of v necks. I had a little Washburn parlour that had the wide neck with a V on the back and totally hated it.

Might be good if the thumb is where it outta be running up and down the middle of the neck, but I'm a thumb wrapper I'm

afraid.

Life's complicated eh? :)

Thanks BK.

I've read about the 'p' necks.

Might suit a guy who switches between electric and acoustic.

The few I've bookmarked are just regular martin necks. No special models. No V in the titles.

In not a fan of v necks. I had a little Washburn parlour that had the wide neck with a V on the back and totally hated it.

Might be good if the thumb is where it outta be running up and down the middle of the neck, but I'm a thumb wrapper I'm

afraid.

Life's complicated eh? :)

Not complicated at all with your requirements, BBG!

Uncle BK recommends a plain jane D35....do you want new or used?

The good 60s models are collector models and then they altered the bridge plate late 60s and muffled the tones and they go cheap.

It is the 50th Anniversary, so they are selling the new ones with a big push.

But I saw on Elderly site, a 2004 ? Need to double check that, HD35 which is slightly upgraded D35 with lovely Herringbone trim and whatever special thing they were offering in 2004.... $US2185....

BluesKing777.

bbg, I've got a J45TV, a HD28V and a D41 so maybe I can give you some insight, helpful or not. I, too, am a thumb wrapper, 99% strummer and flat picker.

First of all, the nut width on the D35 is a bit smaller, at 1 11/16, than the width on the 45. Not a lot, but to me, noticeable. The necks on my two Martins are different, the 28 has the modified V, the 41 low profile, which is exactly like the neck on a 35 and 28. For me, I find the neck on my 28 a bit more comfortable, but the 41 is fine also, just different. The 41's neck is more similar to the 45's neck. Martin necks have always felt more comfortable to me, regardless of shape, than Gibson necks even though I have 2 other Gibsons. My hands are average size but that 1/32" or so difference seems really big to me. I have never had any trouble with the difference in scale length, most people say a shorter scale is easier to play, I see no big difference.

Those are some of my observations on the differences between the guitars. As I said, I don't know if they help or muck up the waters more. Good luck with the search, you can't go wrong with either the 28 or the 35.... [thumbup]

Martin has a site showing the differences

http://www.martingui...idthshapes.html

It doesn't list the neck thickness which comes into play.

Per the spec, it looks like the D-35 is the same as my D-28 Elvis which is very comfortable to me and close feeling to the modern Gibson necks.

The biggest differences is the longer scale on most of their models and then they all have the 16" radius. They do feel different.

I've noticed as with most brands that some listed with the same spec's still feel different. The Marty Stuart feels different than the Elvis, even though they have the same spec.

Here's the spec on the Model:D-35

Neck Shape: Low Profile

Scale Length: 25.4''

Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-11/16''

Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8''

I have the following, plus one not listed that is a custom build to 1930's spec with a huge neck

D-41 Special

Neck Shape:Modified V

D-28 Elvis

000-28EC Sunburst

Neck Shape: Modified V

Scale Length: 24.9''

Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''

Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4''

OMCPA1 Plus

Neck Shape: Performing Artist Profile

Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''

HD-40MS (Marty Stuart)

Custom 0000 Koa

NECK SHAPE: Low Profile

SCALE LENGTH: 24.840'' (24.9'')

WIDTH AT NUT: 1 3/4''

WIDTH AT 12 FRET: 2 1/4''

Most standard martins have a low profile neck. The big difference in the feel is the longer scale (25.5). Going the d35 route means more bass relatve to the trble, even moe unbalanced than d28. Not sure why you(op) has set on one, but I'd at least listen to someonline samples before ordering. I'd also listen to a d18, if only for comparisons sake.

A d28 would be the middle ground- always safe choice.

Ps if you like rw dreads, you migt look at gibson's advanced jumbo.

bbg, the D35 has the Low Profile neck shape, in a perfect world you might get to try a CFM M36 which has the same neck. Either is good for thumb wrap, very similar guitars except the M36 (0000) has forward shifted, 1 5/16" scalloped xbracing. Much like a D35 with HD28V specs, best balanced tone of either and gives up nothing when you dig in. I've owned a bunch of Gibsons and Martins, my M36 is always within easy reach:

https://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/109-m-36.html

Archived