Gibson Brands Forums

RUSH Concerts Keep Getting Better and Better

rocketman

Saw them last night (got 15th row floor seats so I was pretty close). Every time I see them I think to myself "how can they possibly outdo themselves?" but they just keep getting better and better. They had the sold-out crowd roaring. I heard this will be their last major tour. I think they will play again, but if they don't it'll be nice to know they did it while they were still on top of their game.

I wanted to go to this one bad, but I missed when the tickets went on sale and they were $400+ plus for anything decent on the scalper sites. I hope they tour again; they really do still put on a great show. I saw a recent interview with them. Alex wants to go on forever, but its so physically demanding for Neil and Geddy has to rest his voice and can barely even talk the whole next day after a show. They said they'll quit before the quality of the shows deteriorates. From what I've seen on video from this tour, I think they have a few good years left!

Saw them last night (got 15th row floor seats so I was pretty close). Every time I see them I think to myself "how can they possibly outdo themselves?" but they just keep getting better and better. They had the sold-out crowd roaring. I heard this will be their last major tour. I think they will play again, but if they don't it'll be nice to know they did it while they were still on top of their game.

I agree Rocketman. Saw them last month in St. Louis. Loved the 2nd set.

I wasnt a fan of them at the height of their 80s popularity, perhaps because im only a modest fan of prog rock. Then when i told a friend this he laughed and asked if i ever heard their first two records? I said no, so he played them for me and I loved every second of it! We started jammin while listening and got to talking and i said you know, they couldve easily stayed as a blues/rock band and been successful i bet. He said they can play any style, few bands can do that, i tend to agree. Here they are jammin to one of my fave songs and look how young alex looks!! Wonder what Gibby that is?

Wonder what Gibby that is?

It's an early 70's ES-335. This is from Gibson's website:

Lifeson was lucky enough for his first "proper" electric guitar to be a Gibson ES-335. "I was into people like [Jefferson Airplane’s] Jorma Kaukonan, and Alvin Lee," he told Premier Guitar. "And that guitar was always a beautiful guitar. I’ve always really liked that whole '60s San Francisco music scene, and that guitar was probably the prevalent guitar at that time. So to me it seemed like a natural place to go. And I just grew with the instrument."

es-335-e1305908598410-764x1024.jpg

It's an early 70's ES-335. This is from Gibson's website:

Lifeson was lucky enough for his first "proper" electric guitar to be a Gibson ES-335. "I was into people like [Jefferson Airplane’s] Jorma Kaukonan, and Alvin Lee," he told Premier Guitar. "And that guitar was always a beautiful guitar. I’ve always really liked that whole '60s San Francisco music scene, and that guitar was probably the prevalent guitar at that time. So to me it seemed like a natural place to go. And I just grew with the instrument."

es-335-e1305908598410-764x1024.jpg

Are you a hoarder? As far as hoards go, yours is pretty sweet.

This is a band that completely passed me by. I've just been watching some of their stuff on YouTube as a result of this post and I can't believe that I missed them! Sorry I did because they are right up my alley, would have loved them at the time. No-one I knew ever really spoke of them and I'm finding it hard to believe. Of course I heard of them in passing, but never paid any attention. My loss. [confused]

Are you a hoarder? As far as hoards go, yours is pretty sweet.

Those aren't mine (found the picture on the web). I tried playing a 335 once but it was too bulky for my size (5'8"). But when the 339 came out I was in love, so I got one of those instead.

This is a band that completely passed me by. I've just been watching some of their stuff on YouTube as a result of this post and I can't believe that I missed them! Sorry I did because they are right up my alley, would have loved them at the time. No-one I knew ever really spoke of them and I'm finding it hard to believe. Of course I heard of them in passing, but never paid any attention. My loss. [confused]

Hmm. If you had my older brother you would have had no choice but listen to it, cranked, almost daily from 1975-1979. These days Rush riffs fall out of the guitar unintentionally. I didn't mean to play Rush, its just so damn second nature. As far as writing chord progressions few guitarists are even remotely as interesting as Alex. I have heard the first two albums and feel ByTor was their initial work, Caress is pretty much my favorite, 2112 is biblical, All the Worlds amazing live, Farewell is a masterpiece, Hemispheres is the beginning of the end, Waves rebirthed the band and Moving Pictures rebranded them. They were anew and Stage Left left us bowing all over again. After that, I never felt compelled to get into new stuff. I had been blown away and it would take years to absorb it all after learning music theory. I mean what planet was he on when he wrote Hemispheres? ..."Its got wires that vibrate and give music". -2112:Discovery

My brother-in-law, nephew, my son & I are off to see them in Philly on the 25th.

I'd seen them 6 or 7 times between '79 & '82, and my brother-in-law and I have seen them at least twice on every tour since R30 in 2004. Oddly, I own very little of their recorded work, but as a live unit, I've always been fascinated. Our sons (both guitar players as well) have caught the Rush "bug" in recent years and this will be the third "father & son" Evening With Rush. Always a good time...

If this really is their "last hurrah" for large scale touring, I feel I've seen a pretty good cross section of their career and I'm glad to have the tickets.

Archived