Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt Too Quiet ... Help!!

bluezguy

I played one, I think the same model, a couple weeks ago at Sweetwater. Had the satin finish I liked, great neck and playability, but it just didn't project like the others. No volume, no voice, so to speak. Struck me as being rather odd that it just lacked any volume.

I played one, I think the same model, a couple weeks ago at Sweetwater. Had the satin finish I liked, great neck and playability, but it just didn't project like the others. No volume, no voice, so to speak. Struck me as being rather odd that it just lacked any volume.

Oh, I see Sweetwater now actually has a store. I thought they were internet only. They had a pre-2011 used DR rosewood Masterbilt, or was this a new one with internal electronics?

Cougar, they did a massive remodel a few months ago, their store is pretty awesome.

Glad to hear it. I like Sweetwater. They're very big on customer service and contact, and I like their online photos of the actual guitar they're selling, often with four choices of different guitars. And they'll usually give you a pretty good deal - if you ask.

The guitar was a new one.

Ah, I only have experience with Masterbilts from the 2004-2010 production run - non-cutaways, with no internal pre-amp system. I suspect these changes in the new ones are somewhat detrimental to the unplugged acoustic tone, but that's just my educated guess.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the humidity around the guitar and in the guitar. I notice it looks like you live in the gulf coast area, very humid down there. Makes me wonder if the wood is too humid to vibrate like it should. That would for certain create a muffled effect. Just a thought to throw out there.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the humidity around the guitar and in the guitar. I notice it looks like you live in the gulf coast area, very humid down there. Makes me wonder if the wood is too humid to vibrate like it should. That would for certain create a muffled effect. Just a thought to throw out there.

That could be true for my AJ-500R, I'm in Houston and it's very humid down here! My hygrometers often show 80% when it gets really bad. I try to keep the AC cranking at 70 to try to dry out the air in the summertime.

Meanstreak....My AJ500R sounded much quieter to me than my AJ500M. Oddly, they were both almost too loud, particularly the AJ500M, and hindered vocals for me at times, I sold them..

....Where does your Gibson J-45 stand in terms of volume when compared to your AJ500M?? I'm told J-45's are not cannons like the AJ500M is, and that would make a J-45 type guitar good for my needs. Few carry them near me, and the few I've tried were riddled with cosmetic defects and poor set ups.

I find my AJ220S is very close in volume to the AJ500M I owned..LOUD...very loud particularly when using a pick!

I'd say it's not quite as loud as the AJ-500M, but certainly more distinctive in each note if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong though, the Masterbilts are as a general rule about 80-90% as good as their corresponding Gibson model IMHO.

Thanks again folks for all your comments. This is the greatest forum of them all!

On the humidity thing ... house is kept at 74 degrees all year round with fans circulating on low to keep mold out, windows don't sweat, nothing rusts [tongue] etc. If an extra humid day happens, on go the dehumidifiers.

I also have an EPI 12 string and an old 1960s Stella acoustic - both these guys hang on a wall with the DR. They are loud and are without any complaint except how much I hate re-stringing a 12 string. So, thanks AzariahJames ... very valid point!

Yesterday, I re-set action one more time with a bit more relief just to try it - nope, no results so I put it back.

I really do agree wholeheartedly now that that is the way the instrument is and the only fix is to get rid of her or keep it. I must say, I tried out at least 6 different EPI acoustics this past weekend and, I must say that none of them, were for me. Not one of them felt or fit like my DR-500RNS.

Even though the sound was absolutely louder from each one of them compared to my DR, it made no sense to spend $200 - $300 bucks on a busking tool when any pawnshop will give me a disposable guitar for $50 - $75. Again, I thank you all for your participation in my problem. Let's see what Epiphone's Warranty department says.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done searching.

Conclusion:

After playing dozens of new acoustics over the past couple weeks (in the under $700 price range) I have decided to keep my Masterbilt.

Honestly, I was taken aback by what companies are giving the guitar buying public for this mid-price range. It is most definitely NOT FOR ME. Not one of them could touch the playability and feel of my 'not-so-loud' DR-500RNS.

Mine is setup like my ES-335 and my LP Std and is an absolute joy in the handling department. Since I do mostly Blues anyway, I decided to use my Pignose and the LR Baggs I-Beam for my busking purposes (mine is a mid 2000's DR with no electrics). My battery powered Pignose uses a 12" extention cab loaded with a 1970s Oxford speaker so it actually sounds very very Delta.

Here's the kicker:

I did manage to find a couple new current stock Masterbilts. I carried mine around for all my exploratory visits for comparisons' sake. ALL OF THEM were at the same volume output as mine[cursing].

I prefered EPIs over the GAD Guilds. This month long adventure has made me begin a 'saving the scheckles' fund as I will get me a high end Gibson or Taylor for Christmas.

Thanks for all your inputs!!

I'm done searching.

Conclusion:

After playing dozens of new acoustics over the past couple weeks (in the under $700 price range) I have decided to keep my Masterbilt.

Honestly, I was taken aback by what companies are giving the guitar buying public for this mid-price range. It is most definitely NOT FOR ME. Not one of them could touch the playability and feel of my 'not-so-loud' DR-500RNS.

Mine is setup like my ES-335 and my LP Std and is an absolute joy in the handling department. Since I do mostly Blues anyway, I decided to use my Pignose and the LR Baggs I-Beam for my busking purposes (mine is a mid 2000's DR with no electrics). My battery powered Pignose uses a 12" extention cab loaded with a 1970s Oxford speaker so it actually sounds very very Delta.

Here's the kicker:

I did manage to find a couple new current stock Masterbilts. I carried mine around for all my exploratory visits for comparisons' sake. ALL OF THEM were at the same volume output as mine[cursing].

I prefered EPIs over the GAD Guilds. This month long adventure has made me begin a 'saving the scheckles' fund as I will get me a high end Gibson or Taylor for Christmas.

Thanks for all your inputs!!

Bluezguy; You're the Don Quixote of guitars! I've thought that what you have done by bringing your axe into music stores to compare the sounds would be the most logical way to go and you've done it.How do these merchants appreciate your sound comparisons?

...ALL OF THEM were at the same volume output as mine....

Maybe you're starting to lose your hearing?

OK, just kidding. [flapper] Glad to hear you kept your MB. Great plan with the pignose, and likewise for next Christmas! [thumbup]

Bluez,

There are PLENTY of loud with great tone options for you out there. If Epiphone ain't doin' it for you then check out Recording King. My RAJ-122 (Slope Shoulder 12 Fret Dread...very much like Gibson's 1930's Roy Smeck or modern day Jackson Browne signature models) is crazy loud and has just wonderful tone and feel. I got it brand new A-Stock for $650 with HSC delivered to my door.

Here's mine (with Pickguard upgrade):

18160209944_1470601e75_o.jpg

18595102380_62b29e88a3_o.jpg

18162152193_59bb568c9c_o.jpg

18756527346_97c13c4ef1_o.jpg

18782828815_ca2d263ce2_o.jpg

18595106260_385ffe6149_o.jpg

18596664159_ab65fecf36_o.jpg

Bluezguy; You're the Don Quixote of guitars! I've thought that what you have done by bringing your axe into music stores to compare the sounds would be the most logical way to go and you've done it.How do these merchants appreciate your sound comparisons?

Don Quixote???? Well, I am kind and gentle and kinda mental ... and lots of folks have called me a genius of some sort. For some reason, they always have that ' f ' word expletive in front of the word genius ... I don't get it [lol]

It's GC and Sam Ash ... the vultures of the musical instrument business. They don't care. As long as you are in the store, you can almost do whatever you want. They run around the floor on their lips in sheer joy and happiness thinking there's more chance in selling something to an old guy than there is a teenager. Little do they know ...

Maybe you're starting to lose your hearing?

OK, just kidding. [flapper] Glad to hear you kept your MB. Great plan with the pignose, and likewise for next Christmas! [thumbup]

Cougar ... I did weed whack all my ear hair before I went on my test excursions. Also did a coiffure on the nose hairs just so I would'nt miss any possible smellings of Gibson Pump Polish ... LUV that stuff!! B)

Bluez,

There are PLENTY of loud with great tone options for you out there. If Epiphone ain't doin' it for you then check out Recording King. My RAJ-122 (Slope Shoulder 12 Fret Dread...very much like Gibson's 1930's Roy Smeck or modern day Jackson Browne signature models) is crazy loud and has just wonderful tone and feel. I got it brand new A-Stock for $650 with HSC delivered to my door.

Thanks cliffenstein,

I saw of few of them in my travels but must admit I passed on them because I had tried a number of their resonators when I was shopping for a duolian style. They were the least favorite feeling and sounding resos out of all the affordable ones.

I ended up buying a Republic from Austin Texas. Since I have two very high end Nationals, it was a real test for the much lesser valued instruments. I went through about 6 different reso sellers. Most are made in the same factory in China. The cheaper Republic holds it's own for it's own purposes - busking and practicing in 5000 degree stinking Florida.

See; now there's a prime example of first impression and how it can work negativly. Not fair but, first impressions are exactly that - one chance.

Thanks for your pitch. I will, out of curiosity, go out and try the wooden ones available just to satisfy my loonie needs.

Don Quixote???? Well, I am kind and gentle and kinda mental ... and lots of folks have called me a genius of some sort. For some reason, they always have that ' f ' word expletive in front of the word genius ... I don't get it [lol]

It's GC and Sam Ash ... the vultures of the musical instrument business. They don't care. As long as you are in the store, you can almost do whatever you want. They run around the floor on their lips in sheer joy and happiness thinking there's more chance in selling something to an old guy than there is a teenager. Little do they know ...

Well if that's how it plays, then I'm gonna take my little DR500mce and compare sounds. .I'll pretend I'm your Sancho Panza. P.S., I'm no spring chicken myself.Nice giving the kids a sample of "boomer attitude".

• 3 months later...

Same for me on my AJ-500R, sounds quiet and muddy when I play it. Oddly though it sounds fine when someone else plays it. How does yours sound when someone else plays it?

Interestingly my EF-500R seems ok to me.

This is a common phenomenon - the guitar sounds better when someone else plays it. That's either because they are better players, rarely or that you are hearing it from a different place - try this: Sit facing a solid wall about 1.5 feet away will do - now play the guitar and it will sound different. I always try guitars like this when I can, you get a much better idea how they sound.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I went to a store and played several. The mistake I made was that I played the Martin HD-28 first and then tried other ones, nothing and I mean nothing else came close. I grabbed the master built on the wall with excitement as I have heard nothing but good things but to my ear it sounded quiet and almost dead, especially next to the Martin. It surprised me, I honestly thought that this would be a great guitar. Guess I'll have to stick with my 1991 Seagull until I can afford the Martin. I'll also have to give Gibson acoustics a shot (obviously) I have actually never played one of those.

Archived