Gibson Brands Forums

What is Joe Perry Playing in this Video

Californiaman

THAT, my good friends, is a Blonde ES-355 Stereo, with Varitone, and Bigsby.

Notice the square "block" inlay neck markers, and "split diamond" headstock, with

multi-ply binding. And, "Stereo" on the Truss Rod Cover!

I used to own one, nearly identical to it, save the color, and vibrato. Mine was "Cherry,"

with a Maestro/Lyre vibrato. It was Identical, to This one! And, I've regretted selling it, ever since!

cbd04b3196027b223f82a2efdd08a587_zps2rtpdu7r.jpg

[biggrin]

CB

CB sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Alex Lifeson plays a white one. Been confirmed with wikipedia :rolleyes:

Killer rendition of a killer song. I didn't know Brad Whitford was so good. Shame on me. Also Tom Hamilton's bass looks like a Parker Fly. I thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks Cman.

Well, it was nearly 43 years ago, now. I sold it, and all the rest of my gear,

to fund college, and my camera gear, as I had stopped playing, by that time. Didn't

care for the direction that music was headed (Disco), and all the venues we played

in, at that time, went "Disco" as well. So, they weren't hiring live bands, anymore.

I SHOULD have just stored the gear (hindsight being 20/20), but...you live and learn!

Most everything has been replaced, and then some! [biggrin] But, the ES-355 was the

hardest item for me to let go of, even at that time. But, Hasselblads were expensive,

even back then! "C'est La Vie!"

As to if it was as heavy as "Lucille?" I (honestly) don't remember. It was hefty,

but not sure how close to same weight, as "Lucille," it was? ONE thing I do remember,

is that the ES-355 I had, had a slimmer '60's style neck radius, whereas "Lucille" is more

a hefty '50's style, to accommodate BB's larger hands, etc. So, "Lucille" may be a

bit heavier, due to the larger neck, and more wood, where the "f" holes would be, on

the ES-355? But, that's only a guess, at best. [biggrin]

CB

Sweet mother of all things holy Charlie, what possessed you to sell that?

Well, it was nearly 43 years ago, now. I sold it, and all the rest of my gear,

to fund college, and my camera gear, as I had stopped playing, by that time.

About 7-8 years prior to Charlie Brown selling his 335 I sold all my equipment including my Fender Bassman amp. (Mine was to fund girls and beer.) And I've been regretting it ever since. Then about 30 years ago I sold all my Mamiya 2 1/4 format photography equipment. Charlie Brown will relate. This was to fund building a house!

About 7-8 years prior to Charlie Brown selling his 335 I sold all my equipment including my Fender Bassman amp. (Mine was to fund girls and beer.) And I've been regretting it ever since. Then about 30 years ago I sold all my Mamiya 2 1/4 format photography equipment. Charlie Brown will relate. This was to fund building a house!

I do, indeed! [biggrin] I still have most of my (film) camera gear, as I refuse to sell it,

for "peanuts," these days. I'll keep it, rather than do that! Besides, by the time you buy

the "latest and greatest" Digital cameras from a store, they're already obsolete! And, whenever

they change spec's (resolution, etc.) you buy a new camera! With film, you just had to by the

newer high-res film, not a whole new camera (and, computer to go with it, as is often the case)!

BUT...film is getting harder to find, and get processed...unless you do it yourself. B&W is fine,

but Color is a lot more intensive, especially for home darkrooms. So, I WILL get another Digital

SLR Body, eventually, since I still have a gaggle of compatible Nikkor Lenses!

So, by comparison, guitars, and strings are "cheap!" [biggrin]

CB

Charlie Brown, I retired from photography last year. Haven't picked up a camera since. I thought I would just get back to doing some fun photography, mainly landscapes. But I was absolutely sick of it and couldn't pick up a camera. Earlier this year I bought a Mamiya RB67 system with four lenses. My thought process was that getting a medium format system again would rekindle the spark. I haven't loaded a roll of film in it. [thumbdn]

So, by comparison, guitars, and strings are "cheap!" [biggrin]

CB

CB, Guitar buffs don't realize how great they (we) have it. And my wife and I show horses for fun. That makes photography seem cheap by comparison! [scared]

Californiaman, sorry for the thread diversion!

Charlie Brown, I retired from photography last year. Haven't picked up a camera since. I thought I would just get back to doing some fun photography, mainly landscapes. But I was absolutely sick of it and couldn't pick up a camera. Earlier this year I bought a Mamiya RB67 system with four lenses. My thought process was that getting a medium format system again would rekindle the spark. I haven't loaded a roll of film in it. [thumbdn]

CB, Guitar buffs don't realize how great they (we) have it. And my wife and I show horses for fun. That makes photography seem cheap by comparison! [scared]

Californiaman, sorry for the thread diversion!

Yeah, Show horses are EXPENSIVE!! [scared][biggrin]

As to your photography? It will come back, when you want it to, and not a minute before! LOL (Been there, done that!)

I shot quite a bit, of the local landscapes, and (awesome) Sunsets, we have here! That was FUN! I seriously doubt I could

go back into "Commercial" photography, again. And, in reality, I don't really want to! 30+ years, was enough! But, I still

really love it, for FUN! IF someone wants to purchase an image, now and then, FINE! That's just "gravy!" You know? [biggrin]

Enjoy your "Retirement," and the Mamiya gear, when the mood strikes you. It will...eventually. [thumbup]

Cheers,

CB

Archived