Gibson Brands Forums

2016 sg special faded t help

poopcicle

Hi everyone, I just got my new 2016 special t in satin ebony yesterday! It plays good, sounds great and looks good. I noticed tonight that there is no volute and it is listed as standard in the specs for this model. I compared the headstock angle and size to my "Tweedy" and they look similar but my concern is why the missing volute and if it was designed to be there is there a strength/integrity issue because its not? Thanks for any and all insight

What is the t for I see T in the description but I don't know what it means It looks like it's significant in some way but I don't know how. Where does it say volute in the specs can you link to the specs I'd like to read where it talks about a volute because that seems like a good idea for gibson do you think volute is what the T is because volute has a T in it

Isn't the Volute, on the '70's Tribute SG Faded? Although, I noticed it, on the 2016 SG Special T version

(with the mini-humbuckers) as well. So...??? [confused]:-k

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2016-sg-special-t?source=3WWRWXG9&gclid=CL-PwdGw8scCFQktaQodhIIJxg&kwid=dynamicsearchads-device^c-account^Musicians+Friend+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-campaign^%5BADL%5D+%5BNon@ADL4Brand%5D+%5BUS%5D+%5BEnhanced%5D+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-adid^75067330940-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

(Go to the "Satin Cherry" version, as it's easier to see, than on the black one!)

CB

Isn't the Volute, on the '70's Tribute SG Faded? Although, I noticed it, on the 2016 SG Special T version

(with the mini-humbuckers) as well. So...??? [confused]:-k

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2016-sg-special-t?source=3WWRWXG9&gclid=CL-PwdGw8scCFQktaQodhIIJxg&kwid=dynamicsearchads-device^c-account^Musicians+Friend+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-campaign^%5BADL%5D+%5BNon@ADL4Brand%5D+%5BUS%5D+%5BEnhanced%5D+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-adid^75067330940-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

(Go to the "Satin Cherry" version, as it's easier to see, than on the black one!)

CB

I saw the same pictures and thats why i assumed that it was in the specs for this guitar...... Oh well mine looks, plays and sounds beautiful!

Hi everyone, I just got my new 2016 special t in satin ebony yesterday! It plays good, sounds great and looks good. I noticed tonight that there is no volute and it is listed as standard in the specs for this model. I compared the headstock angle and size to my "Tweedy" and they look similar but my concern is why the missing volute and if it was designed to be there is there a strength/integrity issue because its not? Thanks for any and all insight

??? that volute would depreciate your guitar by about 3/4s the value.. the volute was more of like in the way of playing than anything.

??? that volute would depreciate your guitar by about 3/4s the value.. the volute was more of like in the way of playing than anything.

:rolleyes::-k[confused] I have 2 "Norlin" era Les Paul's (Custom and Deluxe) with volutes. They play just fine,

and the volute, on each, has no interfering quality, at all! So, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As to it diminishing "value?" None of the current Gibson USA will have much, if ANY "Collector's" monetary value...beyond

the natural (possible) increase, due only to inflation! There are quite simply too many made, of most models. The exception(s)

might be some of the true "Limited Editions" (CS or Gibson USA), and/or short run "Celebrity" endorsed versions. Even so, they

won't approach the original Les Paul(Kalamazoo) and other models of that era. Simply because those were made in very limited

quantities, compared to today's abundantly (some might even say over-abundant) produced versions. So, don't worry about "value,"

except what it's "value" is, to YOU! Just enjoy playing it! [thumbup]

CB

You must have a very different playing style than I do. [lol] [lol]

To answer the OP "is there a strength/integrity issue..." Yes there is. Gibson headstocks snap off more easily than most other guitars because of the headstock angle and the fact that the headstock and neck are carved from the same piece of wood resulting in what is called "short grain" at the headstock transition. This is also the place where wood is removed for the truss rod adjustment nut and the string nut. The Volute was an attempt to beef up this area in the 1970's but guitars players hated this change because... well... it was a change and they could see it so it must make for bad tooooone... :rolleyes:

You only see them on modern Gibsons when the guitar is a reissue or "tribute" to a 70's design.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to buy my first SG, and a lot of people have recommended getting a faded model. What would I be losing if I went with a faded over a standard?

I guess I'm asking why the price difference? I'm no pro. For example, I golf, but buying the best clubs doesn't make sense for me because my game isn't good enough to make a difference.

Is it the same with a guitar? I hope to be good someday, but I really have to work at it, as I have no natural ability.

I'm getting ready to buy my first SG, and a lot of people have recommended getting a faded model. What would I be losing if I went with a faded over a standard?

I guess I'm asking why the price difference? I'm no pro. For example, I golf, but buying the best clubs doesn't make sense for me because my game isn't good enough to make a difference.

Is it the same with a guitar? I hope to be good someday, but I really have to work at it, as I have no natural ability.

Gloss finish

Standard has the hotter 498t bridge pickup

Bound neck and nicer inlays

Heastock inlay

The special is A great way to start your gibson experience

Gloss finish

Standard has the hotter 498t bridge pickup

Bound neck and nicer inlays

Heastock inlay

The special is A great way to start your gibson experience

I have a Tweedy model and my new Special T and I gotta say, even though the Tweedy is beautiful , sounding, looking and playing this new Special T at a fraction of the price tag was worth every penny and more. If your looking to jump in to the Sg world I highly recommend the new 2016 Special T. The faded and the current standards are not doing it for me as I am not a fan of the pickups! I want a Standard with 57 classics! Thats next on my list then a p90 Sg and I am on to Jazzmasters! :)

Archived