Gibson Brands Forums

Picks - do they open up ?

E-minor7

Haha he ho ho, , , no, but seriously. Are picks improving over time. Fx more flexible, , , , willing'n'able to carry out special tasks they now know better than well.

Does anyone feel them breaking in ? , , , or is this utter sheeer complete nerd-nonsense ?

'ave a nice Sunday

Haha he ho ho, , , no, but seriously. Are picks getting better over time. Fx more flexible, , , , willing'n'able to carry out special tasks they now know better than well.

Does anyone feel them breaking in ? , , , or is this utter sheeer complete nerd-nonsense ?

'ave a nice Sunday

I guess, but only those with solid plastic and nitro finish.

\:D/

Thumbpicks definitely "open up" over time, and that isn't a good thing. ;)

I have been using heavy picks for the past few years, and they seem to degrade over time. I think they get more flexible and that makes the sound less crisp. But it's not a huge difference.

Seriously, I know there is a significant amount of tonal variation that CAN come from different picks.

But as far as any change, I would think that the surface where would have such an impact, that being able to discern any appreciable change from other factors would be impossible.

As for any pick costing less than 50 bucks, being able to know where they are long enough would also make the mechanics of such an experiment not applicable due to shortage of materiels.

But- I have an idea.

I have been, by pure chance, "aging" picks in various places. Maybe if I do some spring cleaning, can do a old vs new.

Seriously, I know there is a significant amount of tonal variation that CAN come from different picks.

Yep. Clearly a different story. That's why I use different makes of picks.

But- I have an idea.

I have been, by pure chance, "aging" picks in various places. Maybe if I do some spring cleaning, can do a old vs new.

[biggrin] Please post your results - I'm curious. A molecular analysis of changes under different conditions is also strongly recommended for a scientifically correct evaluation of tone plastics. [scared]

;)

Yep. Clearly a different story. That's why I use different makes of picks.

[biggrin] Please post your results - I'm curious. A molecular analysis of changes under different conditions is also strongly recommended for a scientifically correct evaluation of tone plastics. [scared]

;)

i don't have the equipment for that. The closest I could do is burn them and analyze the flame, but I still would be making a guess.

I have, however, washed them, and found that the tone is no cleaner with a clean pick. I find though, that while the sound is not cleaner, the person playing is.

That may have more to do with a shower/clean clothes than the cleanliness of the pick.

So many variables.

Well, I think they COULD... kind of... maybe...

Think about this. You have a brand new pick made of X material, maybe bone, horn, TS, stone... anything... The more you play it, the more you kind of "wear" into it your own playing style. It might develop its own sort of bevel and help you play a little better, faster, and get better tone...

...maybe...

Well, I think they COULD... kind of... maybe...

Think about this. You have a brand new pick made of X material, maybe bone, horn, TS, stone... anything... The more you play it, the more you kind of "wear" into it your own playing style. It might develop its own sort of bevel and help you play a little better, faster, and get better tone...

...maybe...

That's why I stopped using celluloid picks very early, that is around 1981. The bevels left due to abrasion were rough and caused an annoying scratch noise while hitting the string. Polyamide aka Nylon and carbon fibre picks do this much less, so I chose using some made of these materials.

I've got some in the oven right now:

Hehe, , , looks promising, 62burst. I too prefer my Hercos played in.

Bought 100 a year ago and have about 15 in game since then. They lie ready in pockets, purse, several rooms on different horizontal surfaces, always within reach.

A very good idea for me. After 40 years I don't want troubles with losing, forgetting, not finding and missing, , , , and finally haven't.

All I know is, Norlin picks sucked.

If your pick logo starts to fade, I'm sure Gibson will cover it under warranty, fly you to Bozeman, put you up in a hotel and you can watch the warranty work being done. Any suggestions you have for improving the line or coming out with new models? Production will come to a screeching halt while you tell these fine folks how guitars SHOULD be built, because THEY don't know.

(The above paragraph is a slam against those who expect to be hand held for the rest of their lives because they BOUGHT something.)

Speaking of the Norlin era, THIS is one of the best things to come out of the 70s IMNSHO, even though it came from their competition:

459599_orig.jpg

If your pick logo starts to fade, I'm sure Gibson will cover it under warranty, fly you to Bozeman, put you up in a hotel and you can watch the warranty work being done. Any suggestions you have for improving the line or coming out with new models? Production will come to a screeching halt while you tell these fine folks how guitars SHOULD be built, because THEY don't know.

(The above paragraph is a slam against those who expect to be hand held for the rest of their lives because they BOUGHT something.)

First off, finish is expressly NOT covers, unless the picks are defective, in which case, Gibson has done pretty good at taking care of the customers in that regard.

But it figures, if they were to fly you to the factory to have us tell them how to do it, they would fly us to the WRONG ONE! (They are getting it right in that place).

Just want to take this opportunity to point out that while "we" complain about Gibson not "getting it right" in the model line, it was the current ownership/management that turned it around to get it "right" in the first place.

In other words, pre-Henry vs Post Henry.

The other Guitar Forums are going to have a field day with this one.

We've had threads on the GAF on the ludicrous questions and comments on other forums.

I'm guessing this thread will take top honors.

Yes, BlindBoyGrunt. Maybe we should delete this before we're all declared non compos mentis. Or, 'barmy' for those who prefer English over Latin.

Speaking of the Norlin era, THIS is one of the best things to come out of the 70s IMNSHO, even though it came from their competition:

459599_orig.jpg

Agree, I bought 3 - 2 still work fine. But one split on the end, so I'm 'saving' the other 2.

Now, I use GraphTech Tusq picks - a very close substitute.

I'm just scared some poor sod will start to believe it.

Its how all the other nonsense started !

Anyone got money they'd like to invest ?

I'll only take a 40% return of future profits .

'Torrified guitar picks'

'Guaranteed to improve your playing and guitar tone'

Ever wondered why Stevie ray Vaughn ? Clapton , Hendrix all sounded so amazing ? Maybe its because of the huge amount of hours their plectrums had put in !

Our plectrums are scientifically aged by putting them through a gruelling process here at our labs.

(3 full washing machine cycles and an hour and a half clipped to my bicycle spokes )

We calculate that Its the equivalent of 10 years playing time and therefore song knowledge !!!

No need to practice , why waste all those precious hours of your life practicing guitar when 'blindboy picks' will make you sound like tommy Emmanuel !

Only $50 per pick

Worst case scenario - they'll be something to keep the tonerite machine , fast fret lotion , partial capo etc company on the shelf in your room !

I'm just scared some poor sod will start to believe it.

Its how all the other nonsense started !

But I actually mean it. Always have the feeling played-in picks are a bit smoother to work with.

Still there are doubts and I definitely see the comedy in launching the topic. Thus the laughs, , , and therefor the thread opened on a Sunday.

I mean, we have to relax a little too, don't we.

And if people on other forums have probs, ask them to look up 'weekend fun' & 'self-irony'.

That said, I try to balance my posts - a little salt and a little sugar - a little sourness, but not too much bitter spice, , , guess this thread is umami.

A few silly replies the last couple of days might be a reaction to the highly serious look at me - I carved my own nut -thread from a fortnight ago. Wow, , that was heavy.

All for now - see you in the traffic. I'm driving the clown-car, the little truck, , , or the purple Porsche. .

Archived