Gibson Brands Forums

A fun little project

Dub-T-123

Normally I just post this kind of thing in the DIY thread, but I thought this build came out pretty cool and wanted to share my Fuzz Face replica build with all of you!

This project started because I got my hands on some original, new old stock Newmarket NKT275 transistors. These are extremely rare because of their association with the original germanium Fuzz Face that Jimi Hendrix used. The secret has been out for over a decade and these are extinct.

Since I only have a limited supply of these, I wanted to go all out on this build. I got a Dunlop reissue enclosure, an exact replica of the original PCB, and I used the wiring scheme of the original (except made it neater). For the components, I used new, high quality roederstein electrolytic caps. The resistors and film cap are the same as used in many of the originals.

I went tried all of my NTK275s before settling on this pair, and the result is better than I hoped. This fuzz cleans up to a super cool overdrive or clean tone, it's very responsive to dynamics of your playing, and it has great sustain with a natural decay. It sounds like a 60s fuzz face should!

This pic isn't great because the sun was going down as it was finishing soldering, but I'll do more clear shots tomorrow. Until then here it is

A029619C-F0E3-4DC3-A204-A19FD59DA3AE_zpstxxpyz7w.jpg

You guys are too kind! Thanks!

Rct, I'm using an analog Weller with adjustable temp. I think the model number is WES51. My girlfriend bought it for me a couple years ago and it has worked great for me. The original tip is even still in perfect shape after a couple years of regular use

I run my iron about 800° F just about always. I don't ever really use it below that level, but I will set it at the hottest setting if I'm soldering to the back of a pot, or something else that basically acts as a heat sink.

You want a temp that's high enough to flow the solder basically instantly. The lower temp can actually cause you to burn your work more because you need to hold the iron on too long to flow the solder

Also, for reference here is an original 60s Fuzz Face. You can see that I simply copied the original wiring scheme, but made it a little more tidy

61BA704C-B0A2-4FB8-9B0C-899ACFDFFD76_zpsibdsldyh.jpg

Yeah we use the Wellers at 800, 850 here at work. I have never invested in one for home though. I should. eh. Maybe not. I don't really mess around too much with my guitars anymore.

rct

This fuzz cleans up to a super cool overdrive or clean tone, it's very responsive to dynamics of your playing, and it has great sustain with a natural decay. It sounds like a 60s fuzz face should!

That's what I'm talking about! [thumbup] That's been my problem with Fuzz Faces - they don't sound like that.

Thanks everyone! Here's a new pic in better light. I figured I'd sign it too :P

2902F65A-BDFB-4910-90B6-2B23A956E3A3_zpsjajvvyte.jpg

Surfpup - it's actually not very hard to make a good sounding one if you use a trimmer to bias Q2. It's a little more tricky to make it sound right the way I did it here with the stock resistor values. I recommend you use a trimmer and transistor selection becomes much easier. I'd be happy to hook you up with a set so you can build one. It won't be NKT275 but it will sound great and be free!

Capmaster - this thing sounds nasty, but can also be completely clean if you turn your guitar volume control down. It has a wide dynamic range, which is a big part of what makes it so fun to play with. It will clean up best with low output pickups though, and probably won't sound too great at all with active pickups.

rct - now I'm just going to imagine that you work in nasa. Or a factory in China. Which is it?

rct - now I'm just going to imagine that you work in nasa. Or a factory in China. Which is it?

heh. I'm a operating systems guy that used to be in the hardware branch, so I still hang with the plumbers(our term of endearment for engineers) and make stuff too. I work for a federal entity that administers things having to do with aviation.

rct

That sounds badass. You guys must have an amazing stock of components huh?

Yes, pretty much anything you need to build real-time systems! Them days are gone though, we don't build much at all anymore.

rct

Yes, pretty much anything you need to build real-time systems! Them days are gone though, we don't build much at all anymore.

rct

:0 wow

You guys probably have good quality stuff with tight tolerances too. You ever make your own guitar gadgets in there?

:0 wow

You guys probably have good quality stuff with tight tolerances too. You ever make your own guitar gadgets in there?

I don't, no. I've had some foot switches made for me, I didn't like the teenie little switches Fender had for my Prosonics, so a guy made me a couple heavy dutys. I am testing out an all tube headphone amp right now, the same guy made. He makes a guitar amp every few months and I try them out for him and give him as much constructive advice as I can. There's a couple other guys at work that gig still, so they get in on it as well.

Engineers and guitar stuff do not mix, I hate to say it. Linear, clanky, clean, 5 LPBs in front wouldn't dent these things he makes, I don't know how you would get them to break up. I can just get a Dual Professional if I want that!

rct

... I'd be happy to hook you up with a set so you can build one. It won't be NKT275 but it will sound great and be free!

Capmaster - this thing sounds nasty, but can also be completely clean if you turn your guitar volume control down. It has a wide dynamic range, which is a big part of what makes it so fun to play with. It will clean up best with low output pickups though, and probably won't sound too great at all with active pickups.

No offense intended, Dub. English is my second langugage, so nasty perhaps isn't the right term to use for a fuzz tone. [blush] I'm absolutely convinced it works tight and clean when not overdriven.

As far as I know, the AC128 is a substitute for the NKT275, but supplies seem to be limited, too.

No offense intended, Dub. English is my second langugage, so nasty perhaps isn't the right term to use for a fuzz tone. [blush] I'm absolutely convinced it works tight and clean when not overdriven.

As far as I know, the AC128 is a substitute for the NKT275, but supplies seem to be limited, too.

Woops, just to set things straight you have NEVER offended me at all capmaster. I always enjoy your posts, and seriously doubt that you will ever offend me

Nasty is a perfect description for a fuzz tone, I was just boasting about the softer side of this circuit :P

You're right the AC128 is a substitute, and the original Fuzz Face was also built using AC128. But the AC128 used in the original were the Philips/Mullard brand, which have become very difficult to find. At this point, if you look for AC128 on eBay all you will find are the Tungsram brand AC128, which are not the same.

There are countless substitutes that you could use in this circuit, but I was having some fun here building the most exact/high quality 60s Fuzz Face replica that I could.

I will say that different transistors DO sound different. They can have different freq response, clipping characteristics, and noise levels, among other things (hfe and leakage are all over the place for example). What you get with the NKT275 is less "muddy" than most substitutes, though with enough time and money you can find subs that sound pretty much the same

You'll be 100% freaking out the squares with a beauty like that.

That's for sure. Good to here from you J!

Let me know if you ever get tired of your FF and want me to pimp it out for you lol. I had a lot of fun with this, and it sounds BADASS if you're a vintage fuzz lover. I also built a 3 knob Tone Bender that I think blows away the Yardbox that I built you that I want you to check out. I'll replace the guts on yours for free if you were to end up wanting to swap it, I've gotten a lot more parts recently that are giving me better results for those builds

Archived