Gibson Brands Forums

Sixties Fretboards

raymeedc

Wait...so, the new "True Historic's" aren't...if they use Indian, instead of Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards?! [confused]

Even what you read, about "Brazilian" Rosewood, and it's availability, or "illegal" status, is confusing! I think guitar

makers can/could still get limited quantities, legally, but large stockpiles at one time, seems to be a big No No=impossible,

legally. And, manufacturers can/could use Brazilian Rosewood, if it was cut down, and imported prior the CITE ruling,

years ago.

Who knows, for sure??? And, or...does it really matter, that much, which "Rosewood" is on the current

fingerboards?! :rolleyes:

CB

Probably.

It wasn't on the CITIES list until 1992.

Does it matter in the slightest degree?

Pip.

..... just an idle passing curiosity brought on by my recent interest in sixties Gibson "classical" C-1/C-2 guitars and the varied neck patterns/coloration on the three I have.

..... just an idle passing curiosity brought on by my recent interest in sixties Gibson "classical" C-1/C-2 guitars and the varied neck patterns/coloration on the three I have.

Fair enough!

My guess would be 'Yes'.

Pip.

I imagined that grading was about more than appearance. Eg: heartwood is going to be denser than newer growth isnt it?

Yer way overthinking how guitar makers work. Pallets full of fretboard blanks arrive, needing minimum amounts of finish. They don't know or care where in the tree they came from.

rct

They don't really grade rosewood, they dye them to all look as similar as possible.

rct

The only guitar of mine which came with dyed rosewood has been my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus. I removed that stuff, and it revealed the wood had been in no need of any coloration. It looked indeed same as before, but I didn't have that brownish rub-off on fingers and strings.

I imagined that grading was about more than appearance. Eg: heartwood is going to be denser than newer growth isnt it?

Similar to ebony the heartwood is dark, the sapwood yellowish-white with dark streaks. I guess the sapwood is less dense than the heartwood after drying, but I didn't find reliable numbers. Other than for fretboards where the heartwood has the desired sonic properties, the sapwood has always been used for making furniture.

i'd have said into the 80's if not the 90's. [confused]

Yer way overthinking how guitar makers work. Pallets full of fretboard blanks arrive, needing minimum amounts of finish. They don't know or care where in the tree they came from.

rct

I tend to agree.

I don't know, and don't think anybody really does. Up until a certain time, it just wasn't important if the fretbaord was Brazilian.

I have seen a lot of 80's and 90's guitars that look so much like Brazilian you can ALMOST be sure it is.

Probably.

It wasn't on the CITIES list until 1992.

Does it matter in the slightest degree?

Pip.

Wait...so, the new "True Historic's" aren't...if they use Indian, instead of Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards?! [confused]

Even what you read, about "Brazilian" Rosewood, and it's availability, or "illegal" status, is confusing! I think guitar

makers can/could still get limited quantities, legally, but large stockpiles at one time, seems to be a big No No=impossible,

legally. And, manufacturers can/could use Brazilian Rosewood, if it was cut down, and imported prior the CITE ruling,

years ago.

Who knows, for sure??? And, or...does it really matter, that much, which "Rosewood" is on the current

fingerboards?! :rolleyes:

CB

I don't think it matters when you compare the SOUND of one guitar to another. Fretbaord materiel DOES make a difference in tone, but I don't think Brazilian vs Indian is going to matter on a fretbaord, not as much as density or such from individual samples.

And if it DID matter, as cool as it would be to say "This is a Brazilian Fretbaord", it's far outweighed by the stigma and crap you might have to put up with if you could say it WAS Brazilian...being as banning woods seems to be a political trend as much as a conservation effort.

Guest Farnsbarns

I tend to agree.

I don't know, and don't think anybody really does. Up until a certain time, it just wasn't important if the fretbaord was Brazilian.

I have seen a lot of 80's and 90's guitars that look so much like Brazilian you can ALMOST be sure it is.

Every reference I see says the only way to tell if a board is Brazilian or not is to DNA test it so I find this interesting. You may well know better and I'm not arguing but what is the visual difference?

Every reference I see says the only way to tell if a board is Brazilian or not is to DNA test it so I find this interesting. You may well know better and I'm not arguing but what is the visual difference?

Indeed. Wish I could tell. The fretboard on my old Recording is smoother, but it is likely due to decades of use.

Cheers... Bence

Color.

Brazilian is generally very red, or has a reddish hue. Compared to Indian, which to me seems like orangy-yellow at times. And it seems to me the brown part of the wood in Brazilian is more reddish than the brown part of others, like the Indian being more a black.

The photos by Bence above show pretty good.

It also kinda seems Brazilian has less pores, or less deep pores. Even though you couldn't tell from Bence's pics above, many times it seems that way. I can't be sure of that.

Come to think of it, the size and nature of the color streaks, too. Brazilian often has more and shorter streaks, or maybe wider.

For me, usually I can't tell, but sometimes, you see one and it's like, come on dude, That's Brazilian.

Archived