Gibson Brands Forums

2014 LPJ "Road worn"

PFBRENNAN

So I've been a guitar owner for just about 24 hours now. I bought a new 2014 Les Paul LPJ from Guitar Center in RI and was told it was a great guitar for the money and a good fit for a beginner who wanted quality. Here's the issue - I noticed scratches on the front and side of the body before I bought it. The salesman said that it was "road worn" and designed to look used. I was so excited to finally get a guitar, I didn't question him and bought it.

Now I'm wondering if I bought a "scratch and dent model" for the full price. Any truth to this road worn thing? Is this guitar worth less than a regular LPJ?

Thanks,

PB

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

I haven't heard the term "road worn" used for Gibson guitars. Fender uses it.

2014 LPJs are satin finished, opposed to the gloss finish of more expensive models. I seriously doubt there should be any intentional scratches and dents on them.

The specs page: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/LPJ.aspx

Good luck... Bence

we can't help much with out photos,

Gibson custom shop does do custom shop aged models, but they are quite expensive. (thousands of $$$)

Gibson does not have, nor never has had a "road worn" series, that is only Fender as far as I know.

they do have different finishes that as mentioned. and if you bought it from Guitar Center,, then, I think that's a common complaint, you may try to return it and find something hasn't had as much "window shoppers traffic" playing it.

Yup, sounds more "shop worn" (as in "demo") than any kind of deliberate factory finish option.

LP-J's, don't offer the Custom Shop "aging" treatment, as that would defeat the purpose, of a budget

friendly Les Paul.

So, if you're still within the "try out" period, where you can return the guitar, no questions asked,

then do so, and ask for a "New" out of the box, version. OR, at the very least, ask for an additional

discount, for the "demo/shop worn" condition. If you're past the time you can take it back, then it's

become a "learning experience," in dealing with lying GC salespeople, so just try to enjoy the guitar,

on it's own, with the benefit of not having to worry about the "first scratch" syndrome!

Good Luck, whatever you decide!

CB

Yeah id agree... Faded (or satin) finish yes, but "road worn" never on a low end Gibson.. As mentioned above they do some aged guitars but they are very expensive customs...

So it sounds like BS to me... In saying that, as long as the price is right who cares about a few scratches.. But its certainly means it should be a second hand or shop used price...

However, they really ARE great guitars for the price, even when new (that part is true). So it really depends on what you paid.. If you paid the price of a new one youd have every right to take it back and at least demand a hard case for it or some store credit.... Of course if you want a new one and don't want the scratches, just take it back..

If however you love the feel of it and it sounds great (as it should) then just have a good moan at the shop and see what you can get them to give you in compensation for being lied to.

shop worn!

yea that's it!

it's a common issue with Guitar Center stock...

and I would have to consider calling out that twit that gave you the "road worn" load of rubbish.

if it really pisses you off, take it back, get a refund and order one from Sweet Water.

it comes in the box it was shipped in and no one but a sweetwater tech will have touched it.

screw GC..

No LPJ's receive a battle scar finish. It's probably a used one. It would be hard to beat up a guitar like that in front of everybody. Not unless some idiot was playing it backwards on his shoulders and swinging it around his back by the strap. Take it back and get the new guitar that You paid for. And call out that liar that sold it to You. He is a typical Guitar Center dou**he. They probably gave some guy $250 for it, and passed it on to You as a new "road worn" custom. LPJ's, although satin finished, are really nice looking Les Pauls, not beaters. I'm selling mine, near mint and with a hard case for $650. He ripped You off, so return that beaten dog and get the bice one that You paid for91077F13-3AD3-4D11-B070-8C55593DF510.jpg.

Guest Farnsbarns

You were lied to. You should return it on principle and complain to whatever authority you have there. Trading standards here would be extremely peeved and would take it on.

Other part of your question was about whether you paid full price for a used guitar. That guitar might've been new old stock and you would have expected to pay less than full price anyway as it looks like the guitar has been sitting around for a while. If you don't mind me asking, tell us how much you paid and we can tell you whether you paid full price or got a good deal

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there's not much disagreement about what happened here, and I intend to bring the guitar back tomorrow. I've got no problem with buying as used guitar, store demo, or whatever. What's really got me torqued up is that he lied about this guitar when I bought it and then lied again when I called later in the day and asked him to explain "road worn". I paid $560. Pictures attached.

LPJ1.pdf

lpj2.pdf

Guest Farnsbarns

Could you post the pictures by any chance. I'd really like to see them but PDF's are very dangerous things. I'm not risking downloading and opening them. If anyone's braver than me, could you post them?

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there's not much disagreement about what happened here, and I intend to bring the guitar back tomorrow. I've got no problem with buying as used guitar, store demo, or whatever. What's really got me torqued up is that he lied about this guitar when I bought it and then lied again when I called later in the day and asked him to explain "road worn". I paid $560. Pictures attached.

Holy ****, those edges are beat all to hell. Take that thing back, look on zzounds.com also. I buy a lot from them, and have never been disappointed. the thing bout GC, they let every knuckle-head that comes in the store play the guitars, so every one in the store is used.

I tried to post them (jpg), but the 500k limit on the attachment size stopped me. That's why I converted them to PDF. If there's another way to handle it, please let me know and I'll do it. Thanks,

Upload to http://www.photobucket.com and once on there use the IMG link it gives you on photobucket, and copy that into your post (don't use the insert media button)

:)

I am looking at the GC website, and they are referring to one of their used LPJ's as "Worn Cherry",(not sure if that is an actual finish type) and they are selling from $579 to $599. The brand new start at $699, so you got a deal from them price wise compared to their other used ones.What you do have is a case of misrepresentation, if the salesman represented the guitar as "New".

The final word.. So I brought the guitar back to GC and told the manager the situation. I was expecting some sales guy type BS, but I could not have been more mistaken. The manager was apologetic, did not try to make excuses for his salesman, and spent about an hour with me picking out a new guitar. I ended up with an 2015 LPM (not a scratch on it).

Thanks for all of your feedback and advise.

PB

ps. The manager did mention that the original salesman was a drummer. That may have had something to do with it. :)

The final word.. So I brought the guitar back to GC and told the manager the situation. I was expecting some sales guy type BS, but I could not have been more mistaken. The manager was apologetic, did not try to make excuses for his salesman, and spent about an hour with me picking out a new guitar. I ended up with an 2015 LPM (not a scratch on it).

PB

ps. The manager did mention that the original salesman was a drummer. That may have had something to do with it. :)

Fantastic! Glad you had a good outcome! [thumbup] Now, how about some PHOTOS, or your new baby?! (Or, it didn't happen!) [biggrin]

CB

PB

Very cool, glad it worked out well for you. I just looked at the specs on the LPM, seems like an nice upgrade from the LPJ. Let's see it.

Archived