Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird tuners.

LarryUK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9fPIJ2iLKY

I was looking at a Firebird yesterday and I'd never seen these tuners before. What a great idea. What a great guitar.

The 2016 Firebird looks a great buy. The only criticism is that it comes with a gig bag! It NEEDS a hard case. But you can get a case for under £100.

Has anyone got one?

I think those are termed 'banjo tuners' (?).

They are distinctive, as is the guitar really. I used to dislike the body styling, but its growing on me! Other features like the through neck & mini HBs have always appealed.

The guitar most definitely needs a hard case, one that can support that headstock properly.

I think those are termed 'banjo tuners' (?).

They are distinctive, as is the guitar really. I used to dislike the body styling, but its growing on me! Other features like the through neck & mini HBs have always appealed.

The guitar most definitely needs a hard case, one that can support that headstock properly.

No.. they are known I think as Steinberger Gearless Tuners... Banjo tuners have small oval white plastic heads... Like you often get on a LP Junior...

There's also gold plated banjos like my old Firebird VII came with.

They work just fine, too. There's a screw on them you can tighten up to increase the friction and mine came rather loose so the tuning was initially giving me problems. Two minutes with a screw driver and they worked great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9fPIJ2iLKY

I was looking at a Firebird yesterday and I'd never seen these tuners before. What a great idea. What a great guitar.

The 2016 Firebird looks a great buy. The only criticism is that it comes with a gig bag! It NEEDS a hard case. But you can get a case for under £100.

Has anyone got one?

i canceled my order for one from sweetwater because the music store i always buy from ordered one with me in mind. came in last thursday. after playing it for a 1/2 hr plopped down 1/2 of it as a down payment. afetr a couple gigs coming up i'll pay it off. really loved it. really liked the neck. like you i wish it came with a hardshell case, but the Gibson cases are too expensive. ordered a SKB case for it off ebay for 130. great guitar. i like the tuners too.

i canceled my order for one from sweetwater because the music store i always buy from ordered one with me in mind. came in last thursday. after playing it for a 1/2 hr plopped down 1/2 of it as a down payment. afetr a couple gigs coming up i'll pay it off. really loved it. really liked the neck. like you i wish it came with a hardshell case, but the Gibson cases are too expensive. ordered a SKB case for it off ebay for 130. great guitar. i like the tuners too.

So, is the neck slimmer than a Les Paul?

The new Firebird T is the only guitar that I find really tempting to buy right now. Not sure why the price went down in 2016, as it seems to have the same features as before. Seems like a great deal at $1100 (though as noted - that's without a case).

Archived